Beginner powerlifter looking for some advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    dr_mundo wrote: »
    You can also jump on youtube and check out the Mark Bell channel (About form Ben Pakulski is also good) helps a lot with people who are just starting out. But basically you have to concentrate on the three major lifts 1) Benchpress 2) Squat 3) Deadlift, they build overall strength, kcals are also important, longer resting periods during sets and smaller repetition range. LOTS of rest, if you're lifting heavy poundage 1 day train 1 day rest is best at least for me - if i go 2 - 3 days in a row i feel like utter trash, because you put your ligaments and joints under a lot of stress. Cardio shouldn't be neglected, but not be excessive and also what most people don't like but - BODY FAT does help a lot. Whenever i try to go for bigger lifts i bulk up and every pound you put does increase your max by a lot (also no junk food by kcal increase i mean clean food, but an occasional cheat here and there does help to restore glycogen a bit better - sugar is not the enemy, but when used in excess can be harmful) Also don't forget to have fun and throw heavy *kitten* around :smiley:

In all do respect, M Bell is probable the worst guy to get info from. Though a well rewarded business man and put out a excellent product in the slingshot, he is far from anybody to give advice on how to program not alone coach a power lifter especially if we are talking a natural one. I would stay far away from his content as possible.

I agree. Mark bell is a saucy boy. Hes a smart dude and knows how to train. However training someone using AAS verse a natural, is completely different.

Your recovery rate is insane as long as I can keep up with protein, calorie, and sleep requirements. Making many natural based lifting programs unsuitable in regards to a steady balanced progression.

Personally I would look up Alan Thrall.
    Silent Mike
    Bart Kwan
    Even Omar isuf. If you're looking for good powerlifting YouTube content.

I was running a boris sheiko program up until covid. Loved it, however I would not recommend it for a beginner. Definitely do as Chief recommended and get a knowledgeable coach. That way you can cut out any bad habits and potential injuries while maximizing progression
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

I was running a boris sheiko program up until covid. Loved it, however I would not recommend it for a beginner. Definitely do as Chief recommended and get a knowledgeable coach. That way you can cut out any bad habits and potential injuries while maximizing progression

Not trying to hijack this thread, but you mentioned Sheiko so I have to take a moment to say <3

And, spot on with the Mark Bell advice.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

Not trying to hijack this thread, but you mentioned Sheiko so I have to take a moment to say <3

And, spot on with the Mark Bell advice.

Well thank you Haha.

Yeah I was sore fairly often running it but that was mostly diet based. Hes a smart dude and knows how to make one hell 0f a powerlifting program.

Even at maintenance/deficit I was able to increase all of my lifts significantly running it
  • oliverwnc
    oliverwnc Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice in here, but I'd just like to add one quick thought which I find is so, so important in the long-term: do the minimum required to continue getting stronger.

That may sound counter-intuitive, and I know we all like a good, intense workout with a great pump and some real muscle exhaustion. But there are two huge reasons why I advocate the "minimum viable stimulus" approach:

1) Soreness (from high volume workouts) will only make you weaker next time around. Powerlifting is about progressively increasing load, so you really don't want to be dropping down your weights, sets or reps because your hamstrings still feel like you've been hit by a truck.

2) You need room to grow. What I mean by that is that if you start doing pyramids on your compound lifts in a 10-8-6-5-3-1-1-1 rep scheme, working up to something close to a one-rep max, what do you do when you stop gaining strength like that? You add a 9th set? And a 10th?

For a very long time, you can get adequate stimulus on 2-4 challenging sets. My strength is flying post-lockdown (now that I'm back in the gym) literally doing just 3 sets of 6 on my big compounds and then a handful of accessories!

I hope this is clear, though do shout if not.
    O