Strength and repetitions used

As I get older I find that my body can’t handle heavy weights. I Have everted to a program of 40% cardio, 30% weight training and 40% yoga. For my weight training I am doing 15-20 reps per set with an effort to stay closer to 20.

I find myself enjoying this approach more but I am wondering will I gradually lose strength using this approach.

Any thoughts welcome.

Replies

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    What do you mean by heavy? Heavier than ten years ago? Heavy is just what your body can handle for say 5x5 or 3x5. There's a weight at which you can safely perform this program. You just need to find out what it is.

And yes, you will lose some strength doing that many reps per set. At those weights, you are emphasizing muscular endurance, not strength. Nothing wrong with that if that's your goal. Marathon runners shouldn't be training to optimize strength.
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    I mean weights that are close to my 5 rep range
    Now that I have reverted to light weights, cardio and yoga I feel more at peace with what I’m doing. I don’t care about strength anymore
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    FYI this is a duplicate thread by the same OP and there are currently more answers here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10808298/strength-and-repetitions-used
  • supercpa999
    Ha I know, when I created it happened and I couldn’t figure out how to delete it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Ha I know, when I created it happened and I couldn’t figure out how to delete it

In the web version of MFP, below the post, you click on "flag" then "report" then "this is my post and I want to delete it" and the "send" button.

In the app, you click on the 3 dots above and to the right of the post, and then proceed as in the web version. (At least this is how it looks in the Android app. Apple should be similar.)
  • supercpa999
    Thank you
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    20 reps seems a little high, but you know your body better than I do. I would probably strive to use a weight that lets you do 12-15 reps comfortably, if you can.