How did you pick your maintenance weight?

I originally set my goal weight as the highest number in the “healthy” BMI category (195 lbs). I’m a little over 6’2” tall. When I got there I felt that I actually looked and felt better at about 10 lbs more. Some of me is loose skin - I did lose >110 lbs. So I stayed at around 202 -205for many months. Gained the dreaded Covid 15 but now I’m back to around 10 lbs “overweight.”

So, I’m thinking about maintenance again. Is it healthier for me to lose the extra 10 - ignore the turkey neck and always being cold? I was telling myself that the loose skin has to weigh something- but not likely 10 lbs.
would the extra 10 lbs make a real difference to my health? I might try to get back to 195 then do a serious bulk to 205 to add some muscle.
How did you all decide when you were “there?”

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I picked the weight I was when I graduated from college and came back to after each pregnancy. It's BMI 22. I look good. It works fine for me. I gave myself a 5 pound range around that.
  • I choose mine after looking up. What highest weight online.that Is healthy weight for my height.143 lbs is the highest. So that's the one I pick. It'll also be very much maintainable/sustainable for me.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    My current maintenance goal is 75kg +/- 2.5 kg. For me 75kg is a bmi of 23.15 so solidly in the normal range (the very top of the normal range is 81kg). I want to be at a weight that means whenever I weight myself - morning, noon, or night - and whatever I am wearing (normal street clothes), I am comfortably under 80kg. 75kg does that for me.

Once I have got there and maintained for a while I might adjust down a bit to 72kg (bmi 22.22). I don't expect to go much lower than that. I weighed 68 kg for much of my adult life (until I met my husband; I then gained to 86kg by the time we got married), but although 68 kg is still in the normal range for me (bmi 20.99), I didn't seem to do all that well at that weight. Last time I lost weight, I maintained (sort of) between 72kg and 75kg for just over two years before medication and (peri-)menopause contributed to my regaining to 88kg. I am at just over 76kg, now, so in my maintanance range and just trying to lose that last 1-1.5kg...
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I looked at the BMI chart, and picked a target comfortably in the range considered healthy for my height. Yeah, it's not a perfect metric but it's not a bad place to find a goal number.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    I originally set my goal weight as the highest number in the “healthy” BMI category (195 lbs). I’m a little over 6’2” tall. When I got there I felt that I actually looked and felt better at about 10 lbs more. Some of me is loose skin - I did lose >110 lbs. So I stayed at around 202 -205for many months. Gained the dreaded Covid 15 but now I’m back to around 10 lbs “overweight.”

So, I’m thinking about maintenance again. Is it healthier for me to lose the extra 10 - ignore the turkey neck and always being cold? I was telling myself that the loose skin has to weigh something- but not likely 10 lbs.
    would the extra 10 lbs make a real difference to my health? I might try to get back to 195 then do a serious bulk to 205 to add some muscle.
    How did you all decide when you were “there?”

Like you, I looked at the bmi chart. I feel better on the heavier side of my range (174). Anything under that and I look too skinny.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I'm still struggling picking a goal weight.. at first it was 130lbs, then I got to 125, now last weigh in I was 118lbs... and I'm still not sure what to stick to (I'm a hair under 5'3), I feel like I'm in decent shape but still have too much body fat for my liking
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    I had a DEXA scan done few years ago which gave me a peek into my body composition in terms of fat and muscle. Based on that, I have decided to get down to 15%bf as my maintenance weight. From what I have read here, people tend to get extremely hungry below 12% so 15% feels more sustainable.