once in a while, the problem really IS the scale!

Options
zebasschick
zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
edited August 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
the short version - my old scale after 8 years really was inaccurate, the new one is accurate.

the longer version - most less expensive digital scales have a memory feature so if you are within a half pound of your previous weight, it will just show you your previous weight. my scale had started doing that for up to a pound and a half, possibly two, and the changes it did show weren't accurate any more.

my new scale shows the changing weight accurately when i pick up two pound weight or a five pound weight or drink two cups of water. it makes me feel good to have accurate tools, so i'm happier now.

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Mine starts getting unreliable when the battery gets low, bouncing all over the place.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find a new scale that doesn't have that memory feature. It's annoying. And preferably, one not made in China. So far, no luck.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Mine starts getting unreliable when the battery gets low, bouncing all over the place.

Mine does the same thing and that is how I know to change the battery. I could step on the scale 3 times in a row and get a different number. Change the batteries and everything is good again.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My scales are only a few years old and they've become really unreliable. I have to do the best of 3 before it agrees with itself. Some mornings it tells me I way a kg more than the number it settles on. I've changed the batteries but it hasn't helped and have now got some new ones. I've got all the old data on the old scales app so now I've got two sets running, which is ridiculous I know! When the old scales are correct, they give me a value 0.2 kg lower than the new ones. (Perhaps that is the real reason I haven't fully switched!)

Dumb question perhaps, but is it any more accurate in kgs/g because a half pound is 0.22 kg, and my scales (in kg) show to the nearest .05 kg.

• ZenDream
    ZenDream Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Although scales are only part of the equation in the journey, I do recall one digital scale that would give several slightly different readings. I used to average it out over three attempts. My new scale is rock solid. One weight no matter how many times you jump on it...during the same weigh in period.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I got a used doctors office scale for like $30. I check to make sure it’s balanced (is it in the middle), then I get on and manually move the weight until it rebalances with me on it.

It does get unbalanced fairly often, but it’s easy to fix and it’s highly accurate, so I’ll stick with that!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both use the same scale. Since he weighs 50 lbs. more than I do, it doesn't have a memory issue. I like the fact that it is digital and tells me to the nearest .1. It is almost never the same two days in a row.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both use the same scale. Since he weighs 50 lbs. more than I do, it doesn't have a memory issue. I like the fact that it is digital and tells me to the nearest .1. It is almost never the same two days in a row.

What scale do you have?
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I’ve learned to take the weight that any scale gives me with the possibility that there may be a small margin of error. My clothes however will always tell me the truth :D so I also factor in how my clothes are fitting because a weight gain of 3-5 pounds on me goes right to my spare tire and I feel those waistbands getting snugger. That’s when I know I need to reel myself in and start logging again to get beck to my goal weight. This approach has been a part of maintaining my goal weight for almost 7 years so it’s working for me :)
  • jamloche
    jamloche Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That seems like a terrible 'feature' to have on a scale! I've never heard of that before ... but then again I've been using the Eatsmart digital scale for years and years. No frills, no hokey "body fat" calculations. No wifi. But it most definitely gives a fresh honest accurate weight each time. I highly recommend
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    ZenDream wrote: »
    Although scales are only part of the equation in the journey, I do recall one digital scale that would give several slightly different readings. I used to average it out over three attempts. My new scale is rock solid. One weight no matter how many times you jump on it...during the same weigh in period.

See, this is why the scales developed that memory feature. I guarantee your new scale has it, since it is so consistent during the same weigh-in period. It isn’t any more accurate, it is just lying to say it reads the same weight every time within (often an hour, sometimes more or less) in order to look accurate. And in your case it worked, it convinced you.

No home digital scale is accurate to within 1 - 3 percent. It just isn’t possible based on the way they are made. If you weigh 150 lbs, that’s quite a lot of weight. However, almost all scales are accurate enough to themselves that over a period of time, a substantial trend up or down will be visible.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    What really annoys me about my scale is that it can give different readings if not kept in the exact same place all of the time.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    first thing i did when i saw weirdness with the old scale was change the battery. it didn't make a difference.

today, the old scale is 1.6 pounds more than the new scale, yesterday is was 3 pounds more an average. for 2 days after i got the new scale, no matter what i'd eat, drink or when i'd use the restroom, after sleep, the old scale showed me the exact same weight and new scale showed variations that one would expect.

btw, this is the new scale, and i used the $2 off coupon on the page. manufacturer rep in the questions said it has no memory. it is made in china, but it's one of the very few less expensive digital scales that don't have that memory feature. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HBC4QUO/
    jamloche wrote: »
    That seems like a terrible 'feature' to have on a scale! I've never heard of that before ... but then again I've been using the Eatsmart digital scale for years and years. No frills, no hokey "body fat" calculations. No wifi. But it most definitely gives a fresh honest accurate weight each time. I highly recommend

i've owned eatsmart scales with that feature. in fact, the one i'm replacing has that feature.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Meh.

Even if measured accurately, daily weight is pretty much a coincidence (with a statistical central tendency) anyway. For weight management purposes, it's the trend that matters. Over time, any reasonable percentage of random error is pretty unimportant: Just governs how bumpy the road is, not where that road takes me.

I admit that some level of accuracy may help with assessing hydration strategies during exercise, though. 😆
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    The idea of the scale not showing tiny changes is called hysteresis. It's intentional since people trying the scale will notice that the numbers are never consistent due to sensor error. They then return the scale to the store because the numbers aren't consistent. You can't have zero sensor error, so in order to sell scales they design them with hysteresis. There's hysteresis in your hot water cylinder as well because the relay turning on and off the heater would burn out in months due to constant switching. I think that it's set to about 5 degrees.

If you want to get rid of the hysteresis for a second reading weigh yourself with one foot or hold something heavy then weigh yourself normally again.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    The idea of the scale not showing tiny changes is called hysteresis. It's intentional since people trying the scale will notice that the numbers are never consistent due to sensor error. They then return the scale to the store because the numbers aren't consistent. You can't have zero sensor error, so in order to sell scales they design them with hysteresis. There's hysteresis in your hot water cylinder as well because the relay turning on and off the heater would burn out in months due to constant switching. I think that it's set to about 5 degrees.

If you want to get rid of the hysteresis for a second reading weigh yourself with one foot or hold something heavy then weigh yourself normally again.

This is exactly what I have to do with my current scale - weight myself, weigh my foot and then weigh myself again. I usually do 3 passes and average the results.