Gastric band v gastric bypass - your thoughts

Options

Replies

• rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Any surgery has complications, even having a tooth out can cause a bloody clot, does that mean we shouldn't visit the dentist either

....but I think any sane person would agree.....comparing a pulled tooth to something like a lap band or gastric bypass....does...not...compute.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Please forgive me for answer, which you won't like!!

Neither!! U don't need surgery, you need desire, motivation, and support!!! Sorry but that's what I thunk!!!

I agree.... sorry, but it's an easy math equation: Calories out (RMR + exercise) minus calories in (food) = a positive number ... you have to burn more than you eat.
    Good Luck~

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Neither!! U don't need surgery, you need desire, motivation, and support!!! Sorry but that's what I thunk!!!

I agree.... sorry, but it's an easy math equation: Calories out (RMR + exercise) minus calories in (food) = a positive number ... you have to burn more than you eat.
    Good Luck~

honestly , do you think if it was as easy as that obesity would be such and epidemic??? just saying
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Good Luck~

honestly , do you think if it was as easy as that obesity would be such and epidemic??? just saying

Actually...I do think it's that easy....most of the time (sometimes disabilities/meds/etc might complicate it)...I think we as humans naturally want to take the path of least resistance....and we want instant gratification and results with minimal effort. The bottom line is...it is calories in/calories out.
  • rbloedow
    Options

Good Luck~

Umm...I do. The human species is currently more sedentary as a whole than at any other point in recorded history. That, combined with the fact that high calorie, unhealthy foods are available for pennies on the dollar and accessable to every member of our society regardless of income...yeah, it is about calories in and calories out.

Think of the shift in America in the past 30 years - we've gone from an economy where we produced products and our labor force was made up mostly of jobs that required physical labor, to service based economy where sedentary desk jobs are the new norm.

People in the 50's, gasp, actually had to go outside and do stuff when they were bored and wanted to talk to people...today, you can spend hours in front of the television and surf the internet for your every need and desire.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So tried to read all the responses but at work and couldn't finish them all. I had lap band two years ago. I have lost to date 114 lbs. I am not going to say which is better because both come with risk. Lap band takes longer to lose so ask yourself this.....Am I willing to wait for the results? gastric is way faster almost lightening faster. But my friend who had it experienced getting sick, not be able to eat ect...But so did i when my band was too tight. Also in getting the band you have the opportunity to to not occur the hanging skin which comes with gastric. But if i had to do it all over again I choose gastric. I am impatient and i had complications along the way (acid reflux, throwing up, getting stuck). YOU do what is right for you. Everyone told me to just exercise and lose the way naturally. Easy said as I put on another 30 lbs trying. But at the weight you are you are not that fat, overweight yes but your not most bariatric patients who desperately need it. Yes lap band takes up to a year to see results where gastric you will see results in 6 months or less. Good luck to you!
  • kaffmc
    Options
    No i disagree the surgery is done by laprascope and some dental treatment is done under anaesthetic, and as i said tooth extraction can cause blood clots so why is it different?
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Good Luck~

Yes.

But to the OP: I personally believe that surgery should be used as a desperate last attempt. I am currently 282 lbs and have no reason for surgery, my two legs work just fine. Just my opinion.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    bigbearw and jeff are right....You don't need surgery. The risk far outweigh the results. You can get the loss through diet and exercise...all you need is encouragement and motivation. I started my journey at 251 and I am now at 217....YOU CAN DO THIS without having to risk your health.

My two cents...

I agree completely! I started at 260 and am now at 194. I feel GREAT and did it with good 'ol fashioned diet and exercise. I know that's not the answer you're looking for but anyone can lose weight with goals and determination!!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Choose the option that works best for you and is recommended by your doctor.

I had lap band 3 years ago. My weight still goes up and down, but not nearly as drastically as before the surgery. I was 5'3" and 240 pounds when I had the surgery. I chose lap band because I wanted to lose it more slowly so no one would notice that I had surgery. No one except a few of my closest family members know that I had the surgery. All they see is that I eat slowly and smaller portions, and that I exercise a lot.

It certainly isn't the easy way out. It was my last straw attempt to lose the weight for good. Before the surgery, I was a life time member of Weight Watchers. I lost all the weight so many times at WWs, just to gain it all back and more.

I also spent 2 years in a medically supervised weight loss program that included personal trainers, dieticians, therapists, and doctors. I followed the exercise and eating plans very closely. I kept a food diary, so I know I was eating around 1200 calories a day, but I only lost 35 pounds in 2 years. I was very fit, doing triathlons and marathons, but still very fat. I was also one of those surgery haters who thought that surgery was the "easy way out", even though my own mother had a stomach staple 27 years ago and is still maintaining her weight loss. I never tried any diet pills or fad diets, but I spent more money on personal trainers and dieticians in the years before my surgery than the total cost of my surgery.

I've learned that the only way for my insuline resistant body to lose weight is to eat between 800 to 1000 calories per day, spread out over 5 to 6 small meals a day, with low carb/high protein choices. I simply can't maintain that style of eating without this tool around the top of my stomach.

I have several tools for weight loss success: MFP, my band, smaller dishes and spoons, exercise, etc. I have been using MFP regularly for several years now and it has really helped me to lose weight, and rebound when ever I have a weight gain. The best part are my MFP friends, most of whom have undergone some kind of surgery.

Good luck, no matter what you decide!
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Since you've been under a program for the past six months, it sounds like you aren't really going to be swayed to simply NOT do it. However, I have to be honest and say I'm of the opinion that you should reconsider it.

In 2008, I went through the whole process of orientation and did quite a bit of research on the how the lap band works. I was pretty dead set at the time that I was going to do it. However, a road block came up.

The psychiatrist evaluating me was wanting me to go to support groups for a few months before he agreed to sign off. At that time I was going to college full time and had night classes, so the groups were impossible for me to work in my schedule then. From what research I did, I had never heard of anyone having a problem there. I believe at the time I was concerned one or two people in my family would give me a hard time with it. Which I told him. Looking back , I believe if they thought that's what I wanted to do, they would have accepted it. However, at the time I was VERY angry, thinking that was my only shot and I couldn't do it on my own. By the way, I'm 5'0" and weighed roughly about what you do (maybe a bit more) at the time. So I understand your situation in that regard.

Flash forward 3 years and since then I gained 25+ more pounds. But I couldn't be more happier? Know why? Because I proved to myself the past several months that I could do it on my own. Because I've nearly lost all that I gained since that orientation in 2008. I learned that I had to come to a place in my life where I could commit 100% to making this change. Before I was unable to be honest with myself that my desire to lose weight was half-hearted. I convinced myself that is just wasn't possible. Now, I know without a doubt that with patience and commitment, I will reach my end goal. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you are dieting, that might be part of the skewed mental perspective.

(I do know several people that have had the surgery and busted their band and regained the weight, had to go in for additional surgeries, etc. The risk, was pretty scary to me. For people that are immobile,older, medical circumstances, I think it's a wise option. But for someone so young to make such a drastic change, it's premature imo.)
  • GaryAlbone
    Options
    I went for a gastric bypass myself, only had it done 22nd June and lost almost 3 stone already.

Where u from, I live in Peterborough and help out our dietitian team here speaking to people pre op about there choices.

Gary.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2 so...yeah.....very wide for my height! lol

I'm 5'1 and 223 - so we are about the same. I go to the gym every day and have been successful in the past with weight loss. I could have surgery too, but if I don't change my eating habits, then no amount of surgery will cure what my head is telling my body. I know 4 people who have had surgery - 3 gained all teh weight back and more, the other nearly died becasue they didn't hook her intestine back up corretly... and she weighs more now than she ever did.

I wish you luck - you will make the correct decision for yourself. No one can make that for you....
  • rbloedow
    Options
    No i disagree the surgery is done by laprascope and some dental treatment is done under anaesthetic, and as i said tooth extraction can cause blood clots so why is it different?

Whoa - I can't believe this has to be explained or differentiated for you to understand the world of difference between the two. In one, you are directly changing the natural function of a vital organ - be it lap band, or physically cutting your stomach and intestinal tract in half via bypass. The fact that the operation is LAPAROSCOPIC means nothing - I can get angioplasty done on my heart through a small incision in my leg - does that mean that it's comparable to removing a tooth - NO.

Also, removing teeth is usually done out of medical necessity...you can't muster up some willpower and hope that your toothache does away. With weight loss, it's 99.99% treatable without having to result to such an extreme surgery.

The fact is, you are altering your body and major organs in a method that is risky, and puts your life on the line....to solve a symptom you have, or at one point in time, HAD control over. I realize that some people get so large to the point where they've ruined their health all together, and the lap band/bypass in their only option at that point........but unless you are at that nexus, the surgery should ALWAYS be a last resort option.

That said, unless you are truly willing to address the underlying reasons for why you have allowed yourself to reach that point, the surgery is only going to address the symptom, not the problem. As you can see from some of the posters here, the procedure isn't even sure fire.
  • nancyl8198
    nancyl8198 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had RNY just over a year ago and I wouldn't change a thing! I have been on so many diets, lifestyle changes, exercise routines - you name it I had done it. Nothing worked! I do highly recommend the RNY as opposed to the lap band. I believe that it works better and that the lap band as a higher failure rate. In addition if you have ever had any problems with acid reflux then the band is not for you. It tends to make it much worse. A few things to keep in mind if you decide to do this:

- It is not the easy way out!! I hate it when people say this, there is nothing easy about losing weight after this surgery. You have to work hard. You have to track what you put in your mouth and you have to exercise a lot!

- You will have to follow all the rules strictly or you will not see the results you are looking for. This means not drinking during or after a meal, introducing foods back into your diet slowly and eating lots of protein.

- There is a huge mental aspect to this surgery. You need to be mentally prepared. There is a big commitment to your health afterwards - you have to take vitamins every day, you must drink protein shakes and you have to put in the work.

All this being said, it's totally worth it. I am now at my lowest weight ever as an adult. I feel better then I have ever felt in my life. Also, I only had to take two days off work. I do have a desk job, but the recovery time wasn't horrible. The worst thing about it was not being able to drive and cooking for my kid. That was tough because I didn't want to get anywhere near food the first few weeks! Make sure you have lots of help for after the surgery as you won't be able to lift your baby for a few weeks.

I hope I helped! I know there are a lot of haters out there who will tell you never to have a major elective surgery, but sometimes it's just the best option, especially when nothing else works! People did die from the surgery, but it really doesn't happen much anymore. Be sure to research your surgeon thoroughly and check out his/her mortality rates. Make sure they have a good support staff too as that is invaluable. My dietician has made this process so much easier then if I was just doing it on my own.
  • mrsdollox
    Options
    thanks to every that made constructive criticism. its really helped both on the fore and against sides.

for those of you that turned this in to a cat fight and those that just judged and gobbed off - shame on you!! toss pots!
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had the band fitted in 2007 my heighest weight was 280 lbs at 5'4.5'' but I also suffered from a co-morbidity, I had high blood pressure. Near 4 years on I am within sight of my target weight. The band is a tool that I use in conjunction with watching what I eat and walking upwards of 6 miles every day. I would do it over again if I had to.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Well Haven't really read this thread..but the Band was my choice, seen too many failures and horror stores for bypass, this was safer, and reversible..and I love food and can still eat it..never been sick, and lost 185lbs so far. Really neither is magic you have to change your lifestyle in order for either to have lasting effect. I have, running hiking, kayaking, and just eating better in general..still not perfect but a dang site better than before and never had an issue with my band LOVE it so much I work for the company that did my surgery.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i went to quite a few orientations about 4 years ago, but couldn't stick the diet and never went thru with it, and i'm glad i didn't. it's just not for me (at least as of yet), but i support everyone who is interested :) personally i would have gone for the band, because it's less invasive, adjustable, and reversible.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Whatever you decide your friends on MFP will support you! :)