OATMEAL

Options
2»

Replies

• LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut oats. I have to cook them the day before because they take so long but they warm up nice in the microwave, I added blueberries this morning with a little brown sugar splenda and it was AWESOME. I cook enough at one time for 4 or 5 days. They keep well in the fridge. I eat two scrambled eggs whites and whole egg to beef up the protein.

I agree, steel cut oats are the best alternative; never the instant stuff. Steel cut oats don't affect your glycemic index the way the others do. I cook 5 days at a time and store them in small one cup containers, then add blueberries; truvia, stevia, or Agave nectar; almonds, dried cranberries, cinnamon, or walnuts occasionally; and grab n go for quick breakfast. You can make each serving a little different by varying your add-ins. They heat up well in microwave and taste great! The texture is nutty with a bit of a chew that is satisfying. I add in Jillian Michael's protein powder AFTER it is heated or have a 2% string cheese or Babybel cheese for added protein.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut oats. I have to cook them the day before because they take so long but they warm up nice in the microwave, I added blueberries this morning with a little brown sugar splenda and it was AWESOME. I cook enough at one time for 4 or 5 days. They keep well in the fridge. I eat two scrambled eggs whites and whole egg to beef up the protein.

I agree, steel cut oats are the best alternative; never the instant stuff. Steel cut oats don't affect your glycemic index the way the others do. I cook 5 days at a time and store them in small one cup containers, then add blueberries; truvia, stevia, or Agave nectar; almonds, dried cranberries, cinnamon, or walnuts occasionally; and grab n go for quick breakfast. You can make each serving a little different by varying your add-ins. They heat up well in microwave and taste great! The texture is nutty with a bit of a chew that is satisfying. I add in Jillian Michael's protein powder AFTER it is heated or have a 2% string cheese or Babybel cheese for added protein.

thanks, this is what i was looking for
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options

thanks, this is what i was looking for

You're welcome, glad it helped!
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    I've been doing the cold overnight oats, which are good and easy because I don't have to cook them in the morning. I just mix 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup milk (almond for me), 1/3 cup greek yogurt and put in the fridge overnight. I usually add some fruit and chia seeds and a little agave in the morning. Then I make some eggs while I'm eating that : )
  • jernigan51
    Options
    I don't really know of any cons, it's all around pretty great for you, I eat it every morning!
  • HerbieSue
    Options

Thanks for the single serving tip!
  • HerbieSue
    Options
    i love oatmeal. i eat a sugar free version and i love it. i eat it for breakfst and even snacks on occasion for only 100 calories and it keeps me full

Where do you get sugar free oatmeal? My Quaker is 150 calories for 1/2 a cup!!
  • liquidsnape
    Options
    Where I am we have a Sugar Free oatmeal that is a store brand. I buy it at Meijer they have a Apple Cinnamon and Maple Brown Sugar both a 100 calories a pack, I usually add a banana or a teaspoon of fibersupplement to it and then drink a quart of water, I work early mornings so that usually keeps me going for about 4-5 hours until I have my mid morning "lunch"
  • LoveHoodies
    Options
    Trader Joe's does a quick cooking steel cut oats. They cook in less than 10 minutes on the stove and taste just as good. Just don't try making them in the microwave, even the container says you can, mess-city!