Not to be negative, but I'm struggling.

Options
I was going strong ( I.E. eating healthier, working out regularly, and seeing results) I then had the set back of agitation to my lower back. That was a week ago. I am now severely struggling to find motivation to eat healthy, or workout. Its tied to a depression which i can feel kicking my butt.

Replies

• ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Friend, most of us go through these ruts. I've struggled oh so much. I don't want to say 'shake it off' because I know that is so much easier said and done. If you are on any pain killers, it would be good to come off asap if you can do without because paid meds can make it, from my personal experience, where you don't want to work out. If you think you need counseling, please seek help. I know that as much as I don't want to exercise, after I do, I usually feel better. I sometimes feel overwhelmed by situations going on in my life which I have no control over and I have found that self hypnosis (learned through a counselor) and meditation helps my mood. Then I force myself to exercise whether I want to or not. I'm still overweight, but am very slowly making progress. Good luck to you.
  • GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Where are you working out? That makes a difference too. For me, loud music, motivational videos, and a training partner will usually spring me back to life.
  • TxmetalmedicTX2099
    TxmetalmedicTX2099 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I work out at a gym in my town. Which I like the gym, and I do throw on some loud music when I go. Just can't seem to get there.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Please just keep in mind that physical activity is very important but proper nutrition within your caloric range is what you should be focused on. I used to believe that weight loss could not be achieved without exercise and gave up the whole thing for a similar issue. Motivation will come and go but dedication is entirely up to you.
  • TxmetalmedicTX2099
    Options
    See and I totally believe that, and up until a week ago my caloric intake was great i was putting in a healthy amount and taking out more with physical activity. My calories for the last week have all been 3000 or higher and I just dont seem to stop stuffing my face. Im just whining at this point....sorry guys. Excuses are just that...excuses.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just pick one. I'm sure you can convince yourself to either track and stick within your calories, or workout. Once you get one healthy habit going it'll be easier to find your way back to the other.

Most people go through this. You can make it through :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people, so I'm offering a couple of options, that may or may not be solutions:

1. Make activity both easy and non-negotiable.

Background: I've been active for a long time, and it's normal for my exercise schedule to shrivel a bit in late Winter, then pick up once on-water rowing starts. This year, the pandemic shut down the boathouse, and shut down my spin classes, so I was getting pretty sluggy and demotivated. Finally, I decided to do something I'm really terrible at: Not give myself an option, not even let think about not working out, treat it like brushing my teeth when needed, or putting on shoes before grocery shopping: Just a non-negotiable thing that I *did*. To support that, I came up with a routine that was quite minimal, that wouldn't give me potential excuses like "too hard" "too tiring" "too inconvenient", etc. Then I just made myself do it, as if I didn't have a choice. If I started to think "too tired" or whatever, I just shut those thoughts down, and put on my workout clothes. To my suprise, I've kept up a my planned 6 days a week workouts, consistently, for 2 months since. I've even increased the time/intensity gradually.

2. On the eating front, can you convince yourself to log what you eat consistently, even if loosely? For me, just doing that, when I'm not eating according to my goals, gives me an impetus to make improvements. It prevents me lying to myself, makes me get real about how my behavior isn't accomplishing what I want in life.

Like I said, just a couple of options. If they don't fit in with your personality, might not work for you, but something to consider.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 ’s advice is really solid, and I believe someone else mentioned it too, but we can’t go from 0 to 60 over night in leading a healthy life. The Shutdown for me started March 14 and for the first 3 months I thought it was awesome because I got cookies, beer, and doughnuts delivered to my door. Needless to say my pants were a little tight after that. I realized I needed to do something to keep me physically healthy. So I said half an hour workouts out every morning. For me that was sustainable, I don’t have to commute because I’m WFH so the time I’d be commuting I committed to exercising. I put my workout clothes right beside my bed and put them on when I wake up. Some days it’s definitely tough.

I think sustainable long term goals is where it’s at. What’s even ONE thing you can do in September say to help you reach your goal? Even if it feels small, if you’ll be able to achieve it it will make another goal more motivating. Keep in mind too, you don’t need a 100% success rate. Progress is still progress if it’s slow and small!

Keep going! I hope your back begins to heal and you find an equilibrium that works for where you’re at Physically and mentally! You got this! 👊🏻👏🏻
  • TxmetalmedicTX2099
    Options
    Thank you all, and today definitely feels better i am up, I prepped meal for on the box tonight, and I am dressing for the gym now. All of which felt like grey blah zones yesterday. I am really enjoying the community vibes here. Again thank you all
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,565 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy! Sounds like you're on a roll! Is your back still causing you problems? If so drop me a line, I've had back surgeries so do low impact (these days YouTube videos) and have a ton of chair workouts because I have nerve problems from the waist down the last few months if you're interested. To get going if I'm really dragging I'll put in my ear buds and blast a favorite song, music always helps a lot. Put on the heaviest or most motivating music you can and see if you can sit still for long, at the least you're dancing or headbanging to a cool song and it'll lift your mood, at the most it'll get you off your rear and you'll get into the zone! I have a 10 minute warm-up song I use to get me started, by the time it's up I'm not trying to talk myself off the bike or stair-treadmill and am ready to earn my shower.