Greek yogurt

Options
Well, just had my first taste of greek yogurt. I am not a yogurt fan BUT I think adding a wee bit of granola sure helps it taste bunches better. I had the fruit in the bottom kind and think I will just get plain next time. It wasn't really fruit, more like jelly. That sugar will definitely get the heart burn going.. As I ate it I started wondering if all greek yogurts were the same. This brand was Dannon are there better, healthier, more authentic "greek" yogurts out there. I also want to know what you add to yours. I'm sure liking the granola. What a wonderful afternoon snack. Oh and what about protein? Are they all about the same in that too?

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani Greek Yogurt. They have MANY flavors and even plain. If I get a big tub of plain I add my own fresh fruit! Its a taste adjustment, but now I only eat Greek Yogurt, anything else tastes too sweet and artificial.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    im a HUGE fan of the yoplait greek ones...there arent too many flavors but i dont liek the chunky fruit ones anyways...and oikos by dannon is getting to the top of my list too...
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani.. but Fage 2% is (by far) my favorite.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    I have tried 3 diffrent kinds of greek yogurt...the only and I repeat ONLY one I like is chobani...it is so different from the others it is unbelievable... worth the extra cost....and I love the pomegranate flavor and the plain the best... the fruit have 14 g of protein and the plain has 18 grams
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I echo the Chobani lovers...it's good stuff.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're getting plain, go for Fage, if you can find it. I buy mine in the 4 cup container at Costco for $5. It needs a little sweetener of some kind (berries, honey, Splenda, whatever you like) since it tastes a lot like sour cream but it only has 7 grams of sugar.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I buy Oikos Greek Yogurt and add fruit or Kashi ceral to mix in. Pretty good :smile:
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I love Oikos....so yummy! I dont add anything.....
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Fage and Chobani are the only two I like. I buy both plain and will add 1/2 a teaspoon on honey per cup of yogurt. Fage has the best flavor but Chobani has an additional 3 bacteria which gives it a slightly more sour taste.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Be careful of the brand.
    if the label has high sugar and carb counts then you might as well eat regular yogurt. I was fooled by yoplait but with 22g of sugar (i think it was) and then something like 12g of carbs, well sugar is a carb so that adds up pretty high.
    Fage is prolly the better stuff, plain, and add some honey.

Just an FYI.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm used to regular yogurt and I tried the chobani one and it had a little over 15g of sugar.... I'm wondering as well if there are any ones without that much sugar
  • kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Chobani one being great...i've tried the pineapple and the pomegranate...both are great!
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Chobani vanilla with Kashi berry crumble mixed in is a fantastic snack!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    im a HUGE fan of the yoplait greek ones...there arent too many flavors but i dont liek the chunky fruit ones anyways...and oikos by dannon is getting to the top of my list too...

I don't recommend Yoplait.. I found the strawberry one to be way to bitter/sour tasting.

I like Chobani and Dannon... Plain Chobani though tastes like sour cream. I added Oval-tine and raspberries to it yesterday and it tasted a lot better!
  • joyr1982
    joyr1982 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recently came across Chobani Champions. They are meant for kids so they're a bit smaller but still high in protein and fat free.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Athenos Greek Yogurt (Honey Flavored). It is the only yogurt I will eat. Tastes great alone or with granola. Mixes well if you're making a smoothie or protein shake. The taste gets better and better as you get to the bottom.
  • gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think Chobani is just the best. Next I will have some Yoplait 2x Protein nonfat plain. I had that for breakfast with some cut-up canteloupe on the bottom of the bowl, the yogurt, 1/4 c dried cherries and 1/4 cup pumpkin seed granola. Mmmmm!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why eat something that you are "not a fan" of, especially when dieting?
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I recently came across Chobani Champions. They are meant for kids so they're a bit smaller but still high in protein and fat free.

I second Chobani Champions! They're a smaller portion and only 100 calories. Love them!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'd say that if at all possible, buy the plain yogurt and add real fruit.

Whenever anybody sells something thats supposed to be sweet, I think the market pressures them to make it *really* sweet. Sometimes it's nice to have something a little bit less sugary. At first (mainly as a precaution) I would drizzle a bit of honey on mine, but now I enjoy it as is.

Yogurt itself is its own preservative (it's already spoiled !). But fruit goes bad if you don't preserve it somehow. "Preserves" work by adding a ton of sugar; enough to kill any bacteria that might try to grow in it. I don't know if flavored, sweetened yogurt contains additional artificial preservatives or just sugar. Either way, fresh fruit and plain yogurt is likely healthier.

Another thing that's nice (and healthy) : plain yogurt with 2 tbsp ground flax seed. Great way to get omega-3's, and a lot cheaper than salmon.