Weight training and yoga - how?

Options
I really want to work on my flexibility, but simultaneously I'd love to do weightlifting. Currently I have a plan to work out four times a week, but I'm worried about how to incorporate yoga into my weekly workout routine.
Most places I look says it's fine to do yoga every day, however if I want to give my muscles time to rest, I probably shouldn't be doing yoga every day, since the yoga I do isn't meditative. (aka there's sweat involved :p)

So I wanted to know if anyone is knowledgeable on the topic, since I can't seem to find my answers online.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 5 days a week, usually in the mornings. Before COVID, I was doing a yoga class on lunch on Tuesday's at work. (I would have done a class or two more, if I could have fit it in.) I just did it. No problems.
  • cncolligan
    cncolligan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think yoga is a great compliment to weight training. I also do more rigorous yoga classes, a lot of deep positions and balancing, and they are tough! We sweat!! I also do HIIT 2-3x week and run (jog lol) on non HIIT days. I like to think that yoga fires up all the smaller muscles we may not use normally, especially during the balancing poses. And the deep poses are so good for flexibility. I'm not knowledgeable at all in terms of if that is true, but it feels good to do yoga as a compliment to the other activities. It's also great for mental reasons too :-) Happy exercising!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that weigh lifting on its own will increase your flexibility. It's impossible to do a proper and weighty squat, press, and/or bench press without being flexible.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that weigh lifting on its own will increase your flexibility. It's impossible to do a proper and weighty squat, press, and/or bench press without being flexible.

Which is why the likes of Sonny Webster sell mobility programs alongside their lifting programs. I don't, however, see how lifting alone would necessarily increase your flexibility.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Because it's impossible to do either of these successfully with significant weight without having good flexibility
    pTBwr.jpg
  • Alynyr
    Alynyr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I waited a bit before responding because I wasn't quite sure what to say.
    A lot of the classes I used to do before my break left my body sore afterwards, which is why I was worried in the first place if I could just do yoga all nilly dilly. I'm not exactly resting my muscles if I stretch them every day, to the point of soreness.
  • Alynyr
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Because it's impossible to do either of these successfully with significant weight without having good flexibility

Where you're right that weightlifting requires a certain amount of flexibility, weightlifting isn't going to make my whole body flexible, which is why I'm wanting to add yoga. I don't see myself getting into splits easier just because I lift weights. :p
  • tushitatravellogue
    tushitatravellogue Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Alynyr wrote: »
    A lot of the classes I used to do before my break left my body sore afterwards, which is why I was worried in the first place if I could just do yoga all nilly dilly. I'm not exactly resting my muscles if I stretch them every day, to the point of soreness.

Yoga has different types too..
    You could look Into restorative yoga , which helps your body relax and also aid your flexibility...
    Eg/. Makarasana is great for complete body relaxation, shashankasana is another great relaxation asan, markatasana is great for back... It may look just too simple, but when done correctly, they will also help you get more flexible, provided you are able to hold the asanas for a longer duration.
    You could balance between restorative yoga and the sweaty yoga(missed this earlier) ..

• Alynyr
    Options
    Alynyr wrote: »

Yoga has different types too..
    You could look Into restorative yoga , which helps your body relax and also aid your flexibility...
    Eg/. Makarasana is great for complete body relaxation, shashankasana is another great relaxation asan, markatasana is great for back... It may look just too simple, but when done correctly, they will also help you get more flexible, provided you are able to hold the asanas for a longer duration.
    You could balance between restorative yoga and the sweaty yoga(missed this earlier) ..

I just find with a lot of restorative yoga, they focus a lot on mindfulness, and that's not something I care much for. I'm not saying it has to be fast pased or wild, and I have yoga plans/classes on alomoves that I use for flexibility that are good and take their time in different poses.

But say, because of my weight, downdog requires my arms to be active, and if I've just had an upper body/arm day, I doubt my arms are then resting, as they're supposed to. Same with other poses like high lunge after a lower body/leg day.
  • tushitatravellogue
    tushitatravellogue Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Yes I get your point.

I do not have experience with weight lifting.

A combination of yoga and bodyweight/kettle bell based training has worked for me without any muscle soreness or injuries.

So bodyweight workout (with kettle bells) followed by a day of yoga worked for me, I did not feel sore the next day to practice yoga, I felt perfectly fine holding the asanas.
    (This was all before a baby, now am on break !!)

The key would be to observe how your body feels during the asanas, if you are pushing yourself too much I did say to take a break.

Also, I did take one rest day in the week.

But if you feel this combination will not work for weight lifting, then you can try the option of practicing yoga before you lifting session. And see if this works for you.