I want your opinion on desk bike pedals, please?

Right now I'm unemployed and other than regular cooking, cleaning, child rearing, shopping etc I'm sitting on my butt (I do exercise most days) anyhow I worry about being sedentary and want to do something about it! The desk bike pedals seem like a good idea but there's not a heck of a lot of information out there to really give me a clear idea. I have questions like, does it burn calories like a regular stationary bike? Has anyone thats used it themselves have any insight? DISCLAIMER I don't intend it to replace my daily exercise just want to make sure I'm not being sedentary even though I'm stuck in the house....

Replies

• kfarnworth2785
    kfarnworth2785 Posts: 46 Member
    Well, growing up my mother own a mom n pop restaurant so I totally understand food, service and good atmosphere. I am a great cook and I'm personally proud that I'm skilled in cooking for large crowd. I cook everything from healthy to bad n tasty and I'm a decent Baker. I'm from Idaho but live in California.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    desk bikes and other larger but still small bikes have varying crank sizes, and that means your legs will have a greater range of motion for the larger ones, but they won't fit under your desk.

the best quality with the smoothest motion i have used are the desk cycle and the magnetrainer, both among the most expensive. i currently use the magnetrainer because it has 5" long crank shafts, so it has a 10" pedal rotation while the desk cycle has the more common 3 1/2" cranks with a 7" rotation; for frame of reference, most regular full sized exercise bikes have a 14" crank rotation.

since every rotation is larger, you probably burn more calories because you're actually moving more, assuming the same speed and resistance and duration, and i find i like the feel. in any event, i find the larger motion helps with my knee flexibility.

if you need something that fits under your desk - and read the reviews, because some people just can't fit them under their desks - perhaps an underdesk eliptical might add more motion than the bike.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Right now I'm unemployed and other than regular cooking, cleaning, child rearing, shopping etc I'm sitting on my butt (I do exercise most days) anyhow I worry about being sedentary and want to do something about it! The desk bike pedals seem like a good idea but there's not a heck of a lot of information out there to really give me a clear idea. I have questions like, does it burn calories like a regular stationary bike? Has anyone thats used it themselves have any insight? DISCLAIMER I don't intend it to replace my daily exercise just want to make sure I'm not being sedentary even though I'm stuck in the house....

No. Absolutely not.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you aren't chained to a desk by work then there are far better choices - including a stationary bike which would actually allow you to put a decent amount of effort into the pedals.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    My mother has one that she uses while watching her shows. She rocks those yoga pants. Young bucks follow her around in the grocery store until she turns around. B)

You’re killin’ me @Diatonic12
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    So, I'm imagining someone who wants to be more active, but is sitting watching Netflix all day (which I've done many times, mind you), so they get these free-standing pedals to put in front of the sofa and sort of lazily pedal them while still sitting there watching Netflix.

Well, that would certainly increase your calorie burn somewhat.

However, spending more of your day doing something active would be even better. By active, I mean ANY activity where you are moving rather than sitting still. Gardening is usually a good choice.
  • NorthCascades
    I thought this thread was going to be asking for advice about SPD vs SPD-SL, or something like that.
  • NorthCascades
    So, I'm imagining someone who wants to be more active, but is sitting watching Netflix all day (which I've done many times, mind you), so they get these free-standing pedals to put in front of the sofa and sort of lazily pedal them while still sitting there watching Netflix.

I want to add to this. Should be obvious, but let's say it out loud anyway: the # of calories you burn pedaling depends how much energy you put into pedaling.

So think how much energy it takes to ride a bike up the hill with your full body weight plus the bike's weight plus the water you're carrying, etc. And then think how much energy you put into those free standing pedals under your desk at work, or while zoning out to Netflix.

With a bike, you have to keep putting energy out until you get home. With the pedals, you can stop so you can hear something, and then get distracted and forget to start again. But the most important thing is how much energy you put into an outdoor bike (because you have to) and how little you put into indoor pedals.

Spin class is a whole different thing, it's not like either one. People burn a lot of calories in spin class because of the excitement (and maybe competition) in the group, because of the the trainer leading the class motivating everyone. People go to spin classes because they want to work hard enough to be uncomfortable, to improve their fitness. People don't go to spin class as something to do in the background while they focus on whatever.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    So if you aren’t forced to sit, why are you sitting? I have a boring desk job that I am at right now. I look forward to my dog walk later and maybe a trip to my gym in my basement if I have time.

There are only about a billion workout videos (many free) that you could use to spend some time exercising. Or walk outside if the weather is nice.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Every time this topic comes up, I get interested because I hate just sitting at my desk at work, not being able to move. But then I look under my desk and there's no way in hell a desk bike pedal thing would fit. :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Every time this topic comes up, I get interested because I hate just sitting at my desk at work, not being able to move. But then I look under my desk and there's no way in hell a desk bike pedal thing would fit. :)

Much better to get a sit/stand desk.