Scale reading vary wildly

Options
I put my scales in two different places in the same room and there was a 32lb weight difference.

The battery is new, so I know that's not the cause and the flooring has no obvious fluctuations. Do I put them in one place and just focus on the number getting smaller (even though it's not accurate) or do I get new scales?

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you can, put them in one place and leave them there. However, a 32lb difference sounds a lot. Are the scales placed on solid flooring?
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    3 pound fluctuation I can see, but 32 poiunds sounds like a serious scale defect. I keep ours in the same place and I keep some weights nearby. I weigh the weights every time to see if the scale is accurate before I use it. I know ours is 2 ounces off for example. I'd get a new scale.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    32 pounds is a crazy difference. Is your scale on a hard/even surface?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Did you forget a decimal? 3.2 pounds is easily understandable. 32 pounds would be the variance if moved the scale AND picked up my dog.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Do you have something you can weigh that you are fairly sure is accurate? An unopened gallon of milk for example? That way you can check your scales accuracy. Someone above mentioned weighing the same item prior to weighing themselves to verify that the scale works.

I would definitely check to see if your scale is ever accurate. If it isn’t, get a new one.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    when you move a digital scale (was it a digital scale?), you're supposed to re-calibrate it by stepping on it and getting off a couple times. also sometimes it helps to remove the battery again for 60 to 90 seconds, then replace it. that reset my new scale perfectly; it was between 30 and 45 pounds off till i removed and replaced the battery (btw, manufacturer support told me to try that).
  • ShrinkingDucky
    ShrinkingDucky Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Did you forget a decimal? 3.2 pounds is easily understandable. 32 pounds would be the variance if moved the scale AND picked up my dog.
    I went from 123lbs to 155lbs. I know I picked up my cup of tea but still...
    Talan79 wrote: »
    32 pounds is a crazy difference. Is your scale on a hard/even surface?
    No, it’s on carpet. I don’t have any hardwood / tile / laminate flooring even in the bathroom or kitchen. Not my choice, the place is rented! It looks even but isn’t hard though the scale does have its little carpet feet on.

Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Do you have something you can weigh that you are fairly sure is accurate? An unopened gallon of milk for example? That way you can check your scales accuracy. Someone above mentioned weighing the same item prior to weighing themselves to verify that the scale works.

I would definitely check to see if your scale is ever accurate. If it isn’t, get a new one.
    Ahh, didn’t think of that! I have a few dumbbells. Time to experiment!
    If you can, put them in one place and leave them there. However, a 32lb difference sounds a lot. Are the scales placed on solid flooring?
    Carpet (see above) though leaving them put is the current plan. My only concern is picking it up to hoover then putting it back down in a slightly different place and having a different reading. If only dropping 10lbs was as easy as moving 5cm to the left!!

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe buy a piece of wood or a large ceramic tile to put under the scales?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Yeah, it won't work correctly on carpet. How about outside the front door?
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yep carpet's the problem. What about a cork mat, you can buy them fairly cheap for bathrooms. There are some scales you can use on the carpet, some of the more expensive ones, maybe someone here reading this has some and will say what sort.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the carpet is causing the issue. I would try to find another location that has either a hardwood floor or ceramic tile.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Bathtub? Or shower floor?