Work Lunches

Options
Okay...I'm just getting bored and sick of the frozen low-calorie meals for lunch. My favorites are the new steamers from Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine but there are not enough options to keep me from getting bored. The other non-steamer meals are way higher in sodium and I'd like to cut back some ( I know they add sodium to "diet" foods for flavor but come on can't they get more creative with the herbs and seasonings.sheesh!)

So, with fall I will be bringing back low-sodium soup with salads for work, mixed with some of the steamer meals. My question - What other options for work lunches do you suggest? I do have access to a freezer/fridge but they are SOOO full and somewhat disgusting (aren't all work fridges?) that I need options to put in my lunch bag that are quick and easy to prepare the night before.

Suggest away!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D
  • Kambriasgranny
    Options
    I feel your pain. I try to 'pack' a lunch everyday and have found that if I grill boneless skinless chicken breasts on the weekend, I make enough to have for lunch a few days too. I also eat salami and cheese cubes, even adding a cracker or two sometimes. I also willpack cubed fruit, cantaloupe, watermelon, necterines, etc. Those round whole grain thin breads are great with some deli sliced turkey and spicy mustard. Good Luck!!!
  • jlowensby
    Options
    My co-workers and I were just talking about this this afternoon. She is getting tired of Salads at lunch...I told her she can spice it up by bringing other healthy alternatives...she doesn't know what else to do.

I, myself, usually Mon-Thurs bring a baby spinach salad, with grilled chicken, basil cherry tomatoes, and kidney beans, a fruit, and today a 1/2 cup of soup..then Fri I let myself bring a lean cuisine sandwich in....

Other times I have brought in a lean piece of mean, baggie of raw veggies, some fruit, and low fat cottage cheese...I just alternate so I don't get bored...but I agree some different options would be great. I always try to have fresh raw veggies and fresh fruit at lunch...
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I pack a little grocery bag full of different items to eat all week. That way I can choose from my favs what I want each day.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches. Chili. Leftovers from home. Those frozen meals should be a last resort for emergencies basically.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    tuna that comes in a pouch needs no refrigeration. Just score some packets of mayo from some fast food joints and keep in desk.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Once a week, I make a big salad with all the fixings (red peppers, carrots, celery, onions), then I also make a bunch of hard boiled eggs and drain a can of tuna. I bring it in and have salad for two days that week using half a can of the tuna and 1 of the eggs, along with the salad. I also use Newman's Own Light Italian, it is very good! The whole thing is about 280 calories :)

I also will buy a loaf of Wonder Smart White bread and turkey, and bring that in with cucumbers, onions, jalepenos, etc., and spread a wedge of garlic and herb Laughing Cow Lite cheese on the bread, and stack it all up. Super yummy!
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just a few of my recent work lunches. . .

leftover steak over mixed greens with broccoli and garbanzo beans

tuna with whole grain crackers

baked potato with cottage cheese
  • amandavee
    amandavee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in need of some low cal snacks for work too? I work in a mexican restaurant and it's so hard to not eat the food that "goes dead" when it's soooo good. I've been trying to bring yogurt to work but it's hard to resist! Suggestions?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend, I have lots of ideas, I am at work, will post more later!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? If so, I'd just cook extra when you make dinner and take leftovers. Otherwise, add different spiced chicken to salads, tuna and wraps. If you like sandwiches, get some good bread and get creative with sandwich fillings. Thinly slice and roast some veggies and spread with hummus. Try to eat protein to keep you full :) The lunches at our school seem to be getting worse (and the kids haven't even started coming yet), I may start to take my own lunch also, but I'll have to be better planned. We don't have a microwave, unfortunately, otherwise it would be easy.

Good luck!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds SO typical but really it isn't a bad lunch. I usually have a turkey sandwich and either chips (Lay's Kettle cooked), yogurt (Dannon Light & Fit; toasted coconut vanilla) , or a 100 calorie pack of cheez-its on the side. I'm not really much of a sandwich person but I found that I DO in fact like turkey sandwiches. I've changed it up between Butterball's Cajun Turkey, Sara Lee Honey Roasted Turkey, and Sara Lee Oven Roasted Turkey. I also like one slice of provolone or munster on it as well. I thought I'd get sick of it but I haven't yet. It's easy to make and you can always change out the 'side dish' or the kind of meat you have on the sandwich. Another easy option is just to pack left overs of whatever you made the night before.
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hummus is good with some veg or crackers. YES, many office fridges are gross. If you can toss a freezer pak into the bag, you don't have to use the fridge... but you do have to remember to bring it home and put it back in the freezer.
  • sunnysunbum
    Options
    One of the things I enjoy doing is grilling boneless skinless chicken breast, a couple I will marinate in the Litehouse Tangy Citrus Orange Dressing/Marinade, and a couple in Grill Mates Zesty Herb Marinade. I grill them all at one, then for the week I have a variety of flavor choices to mix up my salads. Todays was a mandrin orange & chicken spinach salad. Just took one breast, diced it up, added it to 3 cups of baby spinach, added 1 contain of the Dole's mandrin oranges in light syrup, and some toasted almonds. I used the calculator and it worked out to under 400 calories. The zesty herb chicken goes great with caesar salad, or some feta, diced cucumber, and spiral pasta.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I love the morningstar farms black bean and veggie burger patties on Orowheat 100 calorie rounds. I usually put spinach and a little chevre on it, or mustard and mixed greens, or salsa (I like fruit salsa with it). The pattie is 120 cals and the bread 100, then whatever condiments and veggies you add. It is really full of fiber so keeps you full for a long time.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of leftovers from dinner. Today I'm having chicken stir fry and brown rice. (:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad (I use celery to eat it with rather than crackers or bread)
    Low carb/low calorie/high fiber wraps with turkey, cheese, romaine, tomatoes, etc.
    Leftovers from dinner (I make extra portions specifically for this purpose)
    A big romaine and spinach salad with a hard boiled egg, grilled chicken, shredded cheese or crumbled blue cheese, and assorted veggies.
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Steam or boil some of your favorite veg; I LOVE zucchini and the different forms of broccoli (rabe, -ni) and bring a little container of balsamic and pour it on before eating. Complete with protein of your choice if you choose.
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    I have just finished my super delicious lunch. I purchased a small round microwave container with a steam vent and I mix in 4 egg whites, mushroom, capsicum, spring onion, chopped wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese, cherry tomatoes and some herbs. Only takes 4-5 minutes in the microwave and is less than 300 calories. Nom Nom Nom. :laugh: Oops actually only 165 calories - even better!
  • SweetestJoy
    Options
    GREAT WEBSITE!!!! thanks