Carbs

Options
Out of curiosity how many carbs do you eat a day? How has it been losing weight?

I have been doing low carb at about 75 grams a day after trying carb cycling that I just didn't really like. Below 50 carbs just doesn't work for me.

My macros are at 1500 calories 75 carbs 75 fat and 131 protein. I am a 4'10 woman 131.5lbs 12lbs or so from my first goal weight. I have lost over 40lbs.
I workout 6 days a week usually mostly to Sydney Cummings doing a variety of exercises. My focus is total body strength while burning fat.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I never specifically restricted carbs, I set minimum goals for protein and fat and carbs tended to fill the rest up to my desired calorie level.
    But on a big cycling day I would prioritise carbs for energy and performance - maximum 650g in an exceptional day.

My weight loss tracked my calorie balance as that's what drives fat loss, not the number of carbs.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try to stick close to my %s. 45% carbs/20% fat/35% protein but focus more on the calories. I'm not hungry and I've been losing steadily all month.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I eat 300-400g per day, losing 0.5lb per week. But I am taller and have much higher calories.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would love to be taller on the calorie end of it 😭
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    About 200, I eat a ton of produce and no grains. I'm trying to do 45% carbs 40% protein, and 15% fat but keep going over on fats and carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat around 35-70g total with around 30-50g net.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    I don't generally count grams, I just focus on over all percentages and balance. I tried really low carb but I am not going to restrict broccoli, cauliflower, greens, vegetables to fit a number. I do aim to keep cabs at about 25 % but my macros are set at 40% Protein,30% Fat and 30% carbs.
  • deb122884
    deb122884 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Macros Carbs (150g) 50%,
    Protein & Fats 30/20
    Im 60, 5'4"- Calories 1200 -trying to lose weight. Currently 134.8, GW 130. Weight lifting 3x's a week fo 30-45 minutes.
    Below 100 Carbs I get shaky, lethargic, no energy. Tried Keto before and was Terrible on my GERD.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    That much protein daily can ruin your kidneys.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

That's mostly an old wives' tale, presuming one is healthy overall.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Carbs - 175 grams 5 days a week, 275 grams 2 days a week.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I eat lower carb and usually limit my carbs to around 100g net per day. I make up for any differences with protein (usually) and fat (sometimes).

Only if you have pre-existing conditions that limit your kidney functions. Healthy kidneys can handle a lot more than that.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I usually have anywhere from 150g-200g of carbs per day, but I usually don't really pay much attention to the carbs, rather than the calories, which I think are more important in weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    I once lost weight effortlessly while eating very high carb. Since I wasn't trying to lose weight, I cannot quantify it. But I was eating tropical fruit all day long, plus rice and beans 2-3 times per day.

I had created a calorie deficit by not having access to high calorie/hyper-palatable food - I was in Costa Rico at a primitive yoga retreat center with no refrigeration, so, not conditions easy or desired to replicate.

As I love to cook and eat, I struggle when I have full access to American supermarkets and kitchens.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 5 times a week, am 5’4 (164 cm) and 56kg 124 pounds and eat on average 210 grams of carbs a day.
    I will eat more on intense training days less on others.
    I will reduce them slightly if I I am cutting
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing guys. I find it interesting how people lose and cut with their diet 😊
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    220 carb avg daily (mostly good carbs, no bread), 1900-1950 cals per day. Lost 9.4 lbs in 7 wks. Unless someone is glucose intolerant, 3,500 calories is 1 lb, regardless of carbs.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am on a keto diet, so I do less that 30g of carbs a day. I don't count fiber or sugar alcohols. Initially I lost several pounds fast that was mostly water weight, and I steadily lose bit by bit, but the pounds pile on if I don't follow the diet well. I did it once before in my life and lost 40 lbs so I know I can do it. In fact it is the only diet that ever worked for me. Simple less calories in than out left me hungry and binging on ice cream once a week or so!