Do you wish: your significant other worked out!?

Options
how do you feel about your significant other working out or do you wish they did? Alot of times I see ppl who workout and their partner doesn't. Are you OK with that or do you wish that could change? Are you more attracted to someone who works out or does it not matter?

Replies

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My husband can do his own thing. He will road cycle a few times a week and we enjoy hiking together. He doesn't really lift weights, at least not consistently. But that's my passion not his. I care about him being healthy and will support however he chooses to do that.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My husband is obese. He exercises and is trying to lose weight currently, but he will never be slim. Never has been in all the time I have known him. I would rather he did not weigh so much. On a purely physical level I am attracted to tall, strong men. Both of which he is. I'm sure we all have a fantasy person but if that fantasy person turned up and told me I could not exercise it would be a way bigger problem than if fantasy person did or didn't exercise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do like if my SO is somewhat active, a bit of lifting is good. I would not particularly find it attractive it if they were more into lifting than I am or were competing in bodybuilding. While I do admire that and would be supportive, that is not my personal type.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My SO is pretty active, obviously this was harder through lockdown and we both put on weight. I'm not bothered about whether he works out or not, but he likes to be outdoors and so do I. I am more concerned that he is healthy long term. He has never really thought about calories, so is enjoying learning about the different amounts. He fully supports me, which I guess is the important thing. I do think it would be difficult if you were both on very different pages lifestyle wise.
  • lorimiller18
    lorimiller18 Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I'd prefer if my hubby worked out. And i don't mean body building and competition etc. But we're in our mid 40's- 45. Being physically fit will only help with the aging process. I love my husband he's my best friend, last year we became empty nesters, and now its our time. I'd like to be healthy,
    strong, fit going into the next phase of our lives. I'm hoping I lead by example.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I would like my SO to be more active, not because I think it would make him more physically attractive, but because of the other benefits working out has. He is doing nothing now, and I know even something small would help his mental health (and obviously physical health). I’m concerned for him, but it’s hard to bring it up without being a nag or him thinking I’m body shaming him. I don’t care what kind of activity he does, or that we do it together, just that he increases his heart rate a few times a week. I also find it attractive when people put a little effort into their physique - it’s aspirational and shows motivation, so if he worked out he may benefit from that too... 😏

I’ve been working out every week day morning since May, and he’s supportive in that at 6AM he doesn’t try and stop me from getting up. I thought my new habit might inspire him to try something, but I think he just enjoys the extra lay-in time. *Le sigh*. This has obviously struck a chord with me...
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My husband used to work out. He was super in shape, six pack abs and all. However, he was super annoying with his dietary needs. And he spent a ton of time in the gym.

Now that I am trying to get in shape, I do wish he would go back to those 6 pack abs again. I don’t think I would find his diet annoying now that I am trying to be in better shape.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    We both hit the gym regularly, but not together.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Mine runs a few days a week for health purposes, he falls off the wagon occasionally but generally keeps up with it. He is a busy body at home, always working on projects around the house or property, so while its not strictly working out he isn't a very sedentary kind of guy. I don't know that I would enjoy being with a very sedentary partner, I appreciate that we can randomly go for a hike or something and both be comfortable. He isn't all 6 pack abs and muscle or anything, but that's never really been my type so I don't care.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Recently single. We were together 7 years. Although she appeared fit she basically just worked hard(which isn't wrong) She learned of the benefits over time and decided to quit smoking, lift, and cardio with me because she wanted to improve.

There are far too many benefits of resistance training and cardio.

That being said I could never see myself with someone who didn't want to live a longer happier life with me. Also I find females extremely attractilive that take care of themselves in general.

So, yes anybody I'm with will be interested in being active in a positive manner.

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Nope. Has nothing to do with me and my goals. As long as she's happy and healthy then I'm happy for her! We take walks and ride our bikes together which is super fun.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have always said that staying in shape would be important to us both and we'd keep each other accountable. This mainly comes into play when it comes to groceries and meal planning. Regardless of who does the shopping we do pretty well keeping too much junk food out of the house. One of the biggest areas where we differ is in our styles for controlling what we eat; I'm a meticulous logger and she hates tracking her food with a fiery passion. We make it work through balance though. We basically only eat the same thing for dinners where we'll decide what to have, I'll weigh ingredients before and after as needed without it interfering with the meat at large.

I do wish she would lift more. It would make her a stronger runner, improve her overall strength, and help with the aches and pains she sometimes complains about, which are mostly associated with lifting and holding our toddler. I think it would also help her achieve the physique she ultimately wants. Access isn't an issue as I've amassed a fairly well-equipped home gym. I could definitely do worse though, we both enjoy exercise and being good examples for our son.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I want to share my life with someone who enjoys the things I enjoy. I want my SO to be able to regularly go for a hike/bike ride/adventure without it being a problem.

I also want my SO to respect that my training is important to me - and as a long distance runner training for long endurance events-some of that training is very time consuming and will take priority over other things.

Whether my SO has a specific workout plan; a gym membership and/or runs/bikes/lifts for PR’s isn’t important to me. A general level of health and ability to function in the world is very important.
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Doesn’t matter one way or the other to me as long as he doesn’t expect to work out with me 🤣🤣. All jokes aside we tried that for awhile and it didn’t work for me. I need significant cardio time and strength time for my goals and sanity- he does no cardio so he was always waiting for me to finish, etc. Gym time is my time for me and I don’t want to worry about anyone else’s needs or wants during that time. He has a chronic injury and is currently off the bandwagon and that is fine as well. He supports me in my choices as I support his.