Daggon hard boiled egg shells

Options
These eggs lately have been IMPOSSIBLE to peel. It seems the shell just breaks into tiny tiny pieces and what doesn't turn to a microscopic shell peel, is ginormous and takes off half my egg white.

Throw me the best tips to ease the peeling process.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You can try rolling the egg under your hard on a hard surface to break up the shell. That can make them easier to peel sometimes.

I use a countertop egg cooker instead of boiling in a pot, and have not had trouble with peeling ever since. I transfer them right from the cooker into a bowl of ice water to cool, which seems to help as well.

I have also heard that fresh eggs are harder to peel than ones that are a little older. I'm not sure if that's true.
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you have an InstantPot, cook the eggs in there. The shells just slide right off. If you don't have one good luck as I never could figure out how to cook the eggs to get the shells easy for peeling.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I second an instant pot for eggs - if I only owned it for them and rice it would be well worth the purchase (and kitchen space!)

I have never overcome hard to peel shells after the fact but have tried baking soda in the water and an immediate ice bath with some success. I have seen where some people put them in a lidded container with a little water and shake it until the shells come off - again, limited success. It has both worked wonderfully and been an absolute disaster for me.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'll have to check this instant pot out especially because I eat rice 2x a day as well. Hmmmm.
  • MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I buy them already cooked and shelled at Walmart, above where the the carton eggs are. Not too expensive and I have one for breakfast every day. NO fussing with shells that refuse to come off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    No insta-pot needed for eggs OR rice.

For eggs, use the HOT START method: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I've never understood the problem with cooking rice in a pot on the stove-top, and I have mostly had electric stoves, which are not ideal for going from boil to simmer, but can certainly be figured out.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    No insta-pot needed for eggs OR rice.

For eggs, use the HOT START method: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I've never understood the problem with cooking rice in a pot on the stove-top, and I have mostly had electric stoves, which are not ideal for going from boil to simmer, but can certainly be figured out.
    Never had any issues with rice until I switched brands when we moved (cant find my old stuff locally) - it was both gooey and crunchy at the same time, no matter what I did it never cooked right - temp, water ratio, pot size. Maybe the crappy water? Maybe the rice? No idea. IP cooks it perfectly every time and for that I am thankful! We are a GF family so getting frustrated trying to cook rice was a frequent occurrence and getting OLD!

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Don't use fresh eggs. Older eggs are easier to peel.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    One of the keys is to use older eggs. I usually have an extra dozen or so eggs on hand above what will be eaten in a week. They have an extra week in my possession so they are when picking up from the store. I place all in a pan and cover with water and toss in 1-2 Tbsp of baking soda (Depending on how much water I put in). If you have an electric stove I Bring to a rapid boil for about 1 minute, turn off heat but still leave on burner with a lid on the pan for 10-12 minutes (Depending on how done you want the yolk). I then drain and give an ice bath to stop cooking. Never have a problem peeling.

However, if I use fresh eggs that I've recently purchased using the same method I typically have troubles peeling. Something about an egg that is a bit older that makes a difference.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    As soon you done boiling.. dump the egg in ice cold water..
  • BahstenB10
    Options
    Going to be so hard to do old eggs. My wife and I go thru them lot hot cakes. I guess I'll just have to buy a crap ton this week so some of them can sit for awhile.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    One of the ends of the egg has an air pocket beneath the membrane. Crush the air pocket then roll the egg upwards from it, that will push the air between the membrane and the egg white.

This separates the membrane (and shell) from the egg, and you can peel it easily afterwards.
  • onepebble
    onepebble Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It can help to use a teaspoon- crack the egg then ease a teaspoon between the egg and the shell. This makes it much easier for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I cook eggs in a metal vegetable steamer basket. 1-2” of water in the pan. Turn on high and cook about 13 min. Never had an egg cooked this way I couldn’t peel. No other method has worked for me.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,586 Member
    Options
    I thought everyone was exaggerating the Instant Pot egg peeling, I usually do them on the stove then put in ice water but the Instant Pot is a total game changer. I got everyone their IPs and didn't believe them, I sent out a text message after I tried it to let them all know how amazing it was, I even race myself doing it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I found an article the other day comparing 7 different methods (including instant pot), and saved the link:

https://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-way-to-hardboil-eggs-22943315

It talks about peeling, but also eating qualities.

The only thing I have to add to what others have said is another possible peeling method. Not a panacea: It won't save the ridiculously tightly bound eggs, but can help get the shell off stubborn ones in somewhat bigger pieces. Try peeling the egg under running cold water. Start at that end air bubble, and aim the water at the place where that membrane just inside the shell meets the egg white. The water stream seems to encourage the two to separate a bit more cooperatively.
  • alejandracufre
    alejandracufre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The instant pot is great, however if you don’t have one...
    In the past, I tried placing a couple of hard boiled eggs in a jar with a bit of water. Cover with the lid and shake. Hopefully as the egg shells brake the eggs will peel easily. Let me know how you like the trick ;)
  • BahstenB10
    Options
    Lots of great ideas to try. Thanks everyone! I am trying to peel these now and the steam is coming out of my ears ;)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I start mine in cold water. Bring to a boil. When the water comes to a boil, I turn the heat down, to where they continue to boil gently. (Electric stove). Set the timer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat, pour out the water, and immediate run col water over eggs. As soon as I can handle them, I gently crack the eggs all over. Let them sit in cold water for 1 minute. The membrane shrinks away from the white. If you let them sit longer, the membrane seems to stick more to the white. I start peeling at the wide end of the egg. You can work your finger between the membrane and the white and it peels easily.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    I start mine in cold water. Bring to a boil. When the water comes to a boil, I turn the heat down, to where they continue to boil gently. (Electric stove). Set the timer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat, pour out the water, and immediate run col water over eggs. As soon as I can handle them, I gently crack the eggs all over. Let them sit in cold water for 1 minute. The membrane shrinks away from the white. If you let them sit longer, the membrane seems to stick more to the white. I start peeling at the wide end of the egg. You can work your finger between the membrane and the white and it peels easily.

FWIW, my mom did something like this but started with the breaking faster by getting some cold water on the cooked eggs, putting the lid on the pan, then shaking the very bejeepers out of the whole thing so the shells would crack. That will make them cool just a tiny bit faster, and you can pull them out one at a time and roll them on the counter briefly to make the breakage more general (roll with a towel if still hot to touch), then drop back in the cold water.

Helps a little, still not a panacea IMO. I don't do it because I like to refrigerate my HB eggs in the shell.