Want to loose fat and gain more muscles

I'm fatty (50% of my weight), and over 50. I need to loose between 15 and 20 kg.
I started a diet and noticed using the app that I eat a lot of fat although good ones (poly and mono unsaturated), and a lot of protein, but low carbs and sugar.
Although I try to limit/reduce fat, it is always in the daily pot.
How can I reduce it to loose the fat body and gain more muscles?

Replies

• FeistFit
    FeistFit Posts: 1 Member
    I am not a coach or trainer.. I have a program that I am following and I love it!. So from what I am learning from my journey that best works for me.... Is carb cycling and fasting. I do two low carb days and pair that with a HIIT workout. I then do my regular macros the rest of the week and add a workout. Your workout can be anything that gets you moving.. If you are able I would incorporate weights into daily tasks/workouts. Sometimes body weight it good enough just listen to your body.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2020
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Eat in a modest calories deficit, prioritize protein (approximately 1 gram per pound of goal weight is a good place to start), and lift weights using a proven progressive lifting program.

And to avoid any misunderstanding, I'd like to add that it doesn't matter if you're eating high fat and low carb (eating fat doesn't make you fat), you can continue eating that way if you like, as long as you follow the post above.

Agreed... with the caveat that your workout may suffer if carbs are too low. Some people do fine, but I need the carbs to fuel my workouts (5x week powerlifting training).
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I'm fatty (50% of my weight), and over 50. I need to loose between 15 and 20 kg.
    I started a diet and noticed using the app that I eat a lot of fat although good ones (poly and mono unsaturated), and a lot of protein, but low carbs and sugar.

So over 50. Firstly. Have you had your testosterone levels checked? As with age they begin to decline. Making both fat loss and muscle growth more difficult. It will severely limit your ability to gain any substantial muscle mass if you have declined levels.

Secondly. Your body fat percentage is 50%? You need to focus on that first. What you eat is of some importance but for the grand scheme of weightloss it depends on how much you eat. Eating fat wont inhibit your ability to lose weight. I eat over 120g a day.

To lose fat you need to figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Then from that set yourself at a deficit of 500 calories. What is your exact bodyweight? People with more substantial fat stores are able to lose at an increased amount for the first bit due to having more readily available to lose.

To gain muscle. You will need to eat adequate levels of protein. Recommended amount is 1g per pound of lean mass.

Then you will need a tried and true beginner weight lifting program. I would honestly suggest a 5x5 starter program to teach you the basics of compound lifts along with building a base to work off of.
  • jessef593
    And if you're female. Follow all of the above advice except for the testosterone portion. However I would still highly recommend a hormone panel to see if you're within healthy levels.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Lowering fat intake doesn't lower your body fat if that is what you're mean. Lowering body fat leans on your caloric intake.

Gaining more muscle compared to...

1. No hypertrophy? Resistance train with adequate stimulus to promote MPS. Pretty easy to do early on with someone untrained.
    2. More hypertrophy? A lot of variables to account for. Such as how sensitive are you to training, does your training gave enough volume at the appropriate intensity, etc...

Maybe you can give more details about you and your training history.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 wrote: »
    And if you're female. Follow all of the above advice except for the testosterone portion. However I would still highly recommend a hormone panel to see if you're within healthy levels.

That's qualify advice Haha. Whoever keeps disliking. Stop being a lil *kitten* and speak up. Let's hear what you have to say
  • JeSAppelleGrout
    JeSAppelleGrout Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2020
    Hi all,
    Firstly thank you so much for all your advises, it is very valuable and helpful.

To answer some questions for allowing more accuracy, I'm a female doing 55 minutes Pilates (on mat at the moment) once a day between 5 to 6 days per week using weights when I can. I used to do on reformer but due to COVID-19, I stopped to go on site until the situation improves. On the day I don't do Pilates, I walk fast speed for minimum 30 minutes.
    Today my weight is 79.6 kg split such as: lean = 46 kg and fat = 33.6 kg.
    I have lost 6.1 kg (both fat and muscles) since I have started my weight loss diet 10 weeks ago; however, this week I have lost 300 grammes only in both fat and muscles.
    I want to loose fat but gain muscles; not really successful at the moment!
    My goal is to weight between 60 to 64 kg, although ideally I should loose a bit more but I'm conscious of my age and difficulties.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    I'm in a similar situation myself. Don't change your diet just lower your intake and and add a low impact cardio like walking to burn the fat. Maintain your muscle mass before you focus on growing. "Bulking" up which really means to get fat to gain muscle is a myth. Proper training and dedication takes years. If you are looking for band aid there's plenty of youtube videos that will help you get fat and call it muscle. Strength training burns the least amount of calories out of any exercise. At most a 1 hour strength training even for an athlete is about 400 calories and that's on the most brutal of training days. You burn more calories walking for an hour than your hardest training sessions. If you want to burn fat go for a walk. If you want to gain strength lift some weights. If you want faster results lower your calories by 1 desert. 1 slice of pizza is the difference between that extra pound of fat.
  • Thank you very much for your advises and clarifications.