What's the Best Diet/Gameplan for me?

Options
My three ultimate goals in this order

1. Get ride of Type 2 Diabetes
2. Lose this weight
3. Repair muscle

I understand #3 might be counterproductive to #2 so the huge main focus is first 2 . My body is extremely weak and I suffer from muscle fatigue to say least. Lately, it seems my body shuts down on me

I've done a great down of extremely cutting down carb intake to about 75 carbs or under on a daily basis for three weeks in a row. My A1C has dropped from 13.2 to 9.6 as of Tuesday

However, I'm consuming way too much fat and sodium not to mention I still weigh 412 on a full stomach.

I want to get my carbs daily consumption to 50 carbs or under on a daily basis but I catch myself with these several problems

1. Extremely low energy
2. Starving myself throughout the day to keep me from consuming food that will cause blood sugar rise
3. Eating too much fat to meet basic calorie requirements

I need a strong gameplan and I'm humble enough to ask for help

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Since you are diabetic what medical advice are you following regarding weight loss and nutrition?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    TBH I'd hook up with your dr., create a plan with him, using a nutritionist, counselor and whoever else they can recommend to help and support you in this. It sounds like you've made some positive changes so far to reduce you A1C levels. Are you entering your numbers into MFP, as to how many calories, etc. it says you should be taking in to reach your weight goals? Carbs are important, yes, especially when it comes to being diabetic, but calories count heavily too. Is your main issue junk food, eating too much of everything, no exercise....? Pick your main issue and find small ways to tweek those. If it's exercise, take a walk around the block and keep increasing it as your stamina increases, don't over think, just do it. :) I can talk myself out of exercising way too easily because I've always been the lazy type. :( If it's junk food, think about what attracts you to particular foods, then try to find acceptable alternates. If it's eating too much altogether, try to do more veggies, etc. that may fill you up more. Chew gum, drink coffee or tea.(those are my 2 go-to's for when I truly want something NOW)
    It's not easy looking at the big picture but if you step back and look at your possible future living the way you're living, that might scare you enough to make the needed changes. But really, it sounds like you are looking for as much support as you can get and because you're dealing with diabetes, you need to talk with the trusted professionals in your life.
    Do you cook at all? It might help to get some diabetic-specific recipes and try something different. Food can get boring if you eat the same thing day-in day-out and sometimes our want/need for more food just stems from wanting different foods. I know that's my case sometimes.
    Think of the foods you DO like and build on those, unless you're talking foods like *I* would pick, such as cookies and ice cream. :blush:
    Find other enjoyable activities to occupy yourself besides eat, work, sleep. Create new habits to rid yourself of the old. Ex. If 1 of your habits consists of eating while watching TV, then have a cup of coffee or tea instead; better yet plug in some music and go for a short walk.

I wish you a lot of luck in your journey, it's not easy but sometimes it boils down to 'just do it'. HUGS to you!!
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic you need to limit (not not eliminate) your carbs, and not just sugar. You also need to pair your carbs with protein and fat to help your body process the carbs better.

You absolutely need to be working with your doctor(s) to find the right diabetic meal plan for you to get your blood glucose/sugar levels in check.

You need to accurately weigh and log your food and diligently check your sugar either 1 or 3 hours after eating (whatever your doctor recommends and then be consistent about it). If the reading is too high that means you ate too many carbs, the wrong kind of carbs, and/or not enough protein with your carbs. The next time you eat those foods you need to make a tweak until the numbers are in an acceptable range.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into whether there's a diabetes clinic/education centre in your area. They could probably give you all the advice you need.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Release. Believe. Transform.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Release. Believe. Transform.

What? That doesn’t work with diabetes, you need to do specific things to lower blood sugar, not just “believe” or any other touchy feely thing. This is terrible advice!

• dawnlmidge89
    dawnlmidge89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree first talk with your doctor to send you to a nutritionist. I did and it has helped me make the best decision to loose the weight and get healthier. I was boarder line diabetic and i was put on a low fat and low carb diet immediately. I started researching about eating healthy and what to change in my diet. So i chose clean eating. I have been doing this for six years now. I have lost one hundred and forty pounds from this life style change. I also had WLS to help me reach my goal. Before surgery i had lost forty pounds on my changing of my eating to clean healthy eating. You can also do this but with help of a nutritionist and doctors. I am not considering that you have surgery but that can help, but talk to your doctor about it and do your research.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Why so low on the carbs? Diabetes UK says to limit to 130g a day. I think the US dietary recommendation is higher than that. Maybe consider keto once you've got a handle on what foods keep you satiated.

As said above, make sure you have some protein and/or fats with your carbs.

Whilst you're waiting for insurance and the ability to meet with a professional, focus on eating balanced meals within your calories and, ideally, as close to your macros as possible. Increase your protein and vegetable portions if you can - the protein will help keep you feeling fuller and so will the bulk-eating of more veg.

On days where your meal plan roughly equals your calories / macros goal, make a note of what you ate that day so that you can repeat it again.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,682 Member
    Options
    There exist free National diabetes association websites from pretty much every nation in the world.

Once you've read them all and seen the recommendations they offer in common you will have a good idea of what is currently considered accepted conventional advise.

You should probably have that grounding before exploring suggestions from less mainstream sources

The National kidney foundation also offers information and had a very active obesity research Division and due to the risks of diabetes often serves similar populations

All the above info is available for free
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you are sonpoor, why aren't you on Medicaid?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    i won't have a doctor or nutritionist until my insurance kick in. Its waiting game ...yes I have primary doctor at local clinic but they can't help the poor ..money talks

I dont understand - if you do not have a doctor, how are you getting insulin scripts and blood test results??

genuine question - since I am not familiar with medical system in other countries, I presume in your case USA?

Anyway, Pav is right.
    Obviously you have access to the internet - look up guidelines of reputable diabetic associations, or even general nutritional guidelines (since the diet diabetics should eat isnt much removed from what rest of us should, its just more crucial that you do it ) - and take on board their guidelines.

it won't be personalised to you, of course - but it will give a good general over view that you can work with.

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    OP, you can get tons of useful info here
    https://www.diabetes.org/
    from info about carbs to diet to exercise and more.

this is an excellent book that was recommended to me by the owner of the clinic where i was first diagnosed as type 2 - https://www.amazon.com/First-Year-Diabetes-Essential-Diagnosed/dp/073821860X/ - it has a lot of useful info, and not just for the newly diagnosed. it was much more helpful than the lame dietician that i went to, btw, and after looking up much of the info on reputable webistes, the writer knows more about type 2 than many doctors i've gone to.

you've cut your A1c a LOT, cutting more carbs may not be the answer. it does take time because it basically reads 3 months of your blood sugar, and the past two months won't change because your sugar is lower today/
    I dont understand - if you do not have a doctor, how are you getting insulin scripts and blood test results??

genuine question - since I am not familiar with medical system in other countries, I presume in your case USA?

Anyway, Pav is right.
    Obviously you have access to the internet - look up guidelines of reputable diabetic associations, or even general nutritional guidelines (since the diet diabetics should eat isnt much removed from what rest of us should, its just more crucial that you do it ) - and take on board their guidelines.

it won't be personalised to you, of course - but it will give a good general over view that you can work with.

he could be getting his insulin prescriptions from a free clinic, a program like medi-cal (crappy health insurance for the poor in california, pays little and doesn't cover many things, there have other versions in other states) that doesn't cover everything but will cover a doctor and insulin, or he could pay cash to a clinic for the minimum.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    Oh ok - so "I don't have a doctor" wasn't a literal statement - he would have a doctor (or different doctors on a roster type system at a free clinic) and access to at least basic medical care.

That makes more sense.
  • MrDracoMalfoy
    MrDracoMalfoy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OMAD! Fasting will heal your body. Dry fast for 23 hours will do wonders to your body. Of course talk with your Dr. Before starting OMAD. I'm in week 3 and I've lost 15 pounds eating 1 meal a day for 6 days and 2 meals a day for 1 day (not a cheat day, I'm still at my 1600 but I split it in 2 lol
    Best of luck mate.