what was your "moment of clarity?"

Options
I want to hear about your turning point towards a healthy lifestyle - was it a particularly unflattering photo, an innocent comment from a child, beloved shorts that suddenly were too tight one summer?

I attribute my u-turn to a healthy lifestyle to a fairly serious car accident I was in back in April 2011. My weight had steadily crept up since graduating college, but I shrugged it off and assumed every picture was taken at an unflattering angle or that each pair of jeans had mysteriously shrank in the wash. Due to the accident, I had several appointments with many doctors, some of which I've been seeing for years. NONE of them said a thing about my weight creep, even my othropedic surgeon who has said for years that I must keep excess weight off due to a hip defect I've had since birth. Since no doctors said anything, I assumed I must still look great!

It wasn't until an appointment with my "lady doctor" about two weeks after the accident that someone finally leveled with me. I'm sitting in her office, my doctor looks me square in the eye and says, "You know, you've gained about 12 pounds since I last saw you a year ago." I am 5'3, that's a lot of weight on my frame! She totally meant well and was just trying to warn me of the slippery slope I was on, but it was exactly what I needed to hear - a physical, concrete number that I couldn't rationalize my way out of.

From the moment I left her office, I was resolute to slide no further. I joined a local gym, started reading about calorie counting and BMR and all that, and finally found MFP on 4th of July weekend. And the rest is history! It's now been about 4 months since the car accident and my trip to the lady doctor. And in that time, I've lost 11 pounds! I still want to lose a few more and focus on getting stronger, but I can't wait to go back and show her my progress! It might be worth having to endure a lady doctor visit!

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story. What's yours? :smile:

Replies

• dismanteld
    Options
    465 pounds! nuff said!!
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    Good questions. I've always been overweight but recently I've just been so unhappy. But, honestly, I think my moment was when my divorce was officially final. I realized, I'm single, I'm beautiful, but I'm overweight and unhappy with Kelly! So, guess DIVORCE did it for me! lol
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When I started getting *blood clots* in my legs because I was so heavy and not moving enough. That got my attention!
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Witnessing my sister-in-law's father dieing of a massive heart attack in the maternity ward on the day he arrived from Kentucky to welcome my new nephew into the family.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When I started getting *blood clots* in my legs because I was so heavy and not moving enough. That got my attention!

That's scary! I love your picture, so inspiring!
  • Jc_1324
    Options
    That's great to hear that your decided to turn to a health lifestyle, i believe my turning point was that for so long id avoid mirrors or pictures and think just normally that for some strange reason the photo would just get a bad "angle" and more but generally along those lines. My friends also wouldnt say anything about it to me as well assuming they would only hurt me by admitting to it, what was my turning point was from an old friend who moved away several years before, we had gotten together and his initial reaction was just a jaw drop and the good "Holy $#!^) " , and after talking with him finally was up front about me putting on some extra weight and to start going to the gym with him in an attempt to help me become more healthy again.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    around Thanksgiving last year I realized that 2011 would be my "turning 40 year" and health risks start to increase at that time (not that they don't exist beforehand). I told myself, enough screwing around. 2011 has to be the year that I get my health back in order. so far, so good.
  • Lyrali
    Options
    The day that I stepped on the scale and was only 10 pounds away from weighing 300 pounds! How did I let that happen? It was time to stop the madness. Let's not even talk about the tiny pains I was sometimes having in my left arm, which of course, I tried to ignore. I immediately started seriously researching weight loss options and came "this close" to going to a bariatic surgery consultation. But I knew that even with surgery drastic lifestyle changes would be necessary so I decided to give diet and exercise one more all out chance. I found the Medifast plan and never looked back. I have lost 138 pounds in a little over a year and just started using this website as a place to transition to as I reach my goal and transition away from the "little white packets" to healthy, whole foods.

I love being a normal size, feeling healthy and I intend to stay that way!
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was 8ish (grade 2). This past year I was pregnant with my second child and developed gestational diabetes. Knowing that I needed to eat right for my baby is what kicked me into gear. I did really great - but then after delivery I slipped back into my old habits (and maternity jeans). Then it hit me: I love my boys and I should look after their mom. I want to be around to see them grow into strong men. I want to have the energy to play with grandkids someday. I have 50 percent chance of becoming diabetic. I do not want to end up a crabby old diabetic fat woman.
    So here I am.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I took some beforephotos and what I say just made me so sad and dissapointed in myself. I didnt look like I felt, my body was not a true reflection of my personality.

To clarify, I dont hate my body. Hating myself will only make the journey Ive embarked on longer. Instead I make a point of loving, and appricaiting my body even though im overweight. I know my selfworth, and this body is only for now, I do this te become healty and stronger, I know it will not nessesary make me any happier then I am right now.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    having chestpains, being paranoid of having a heart attack, and realizing that with my diet it was not a big stretch of the imagination :(
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Early this spring I began having trouble with my eyesight. One morning I woke up and just couldn't see! Everything was blurry and I knew it wasn't my glasses because they were a fairly new prescription (but I was well adjusted to them by then). So after a weekend of not being able to see I went to my eye dr and she couldn't find anything wrong and had me go to my physician... she was thinking it might be diabetes or high blood pressure. So after blood work and a physical everything came back normal and I was in good health... and determined my change in eye sight, which after a couple weeks was back to normal, was from exhaustion and stress. Which made sense because I had a LOT going on the month leading up to my "scare".

So I decided I was gonna get healthy and loose the weight before something really WAS wrong! Over the spring and summer I lost 31 lbs, 11 after starting MFP which really helped motivate me and get me back on track after a few weeks of going back to old habits and gaining some weight back! SOOOO glad I found MFP, love my friends I made on here!!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually a series of small events that culminated. I'm a soccer referee. As a soccer referee I see lots of fit young folks who are my peers on the field, some fit older folks, and some out of shape older folks. At 34, I'm in the older ranks (I would guess the median age is probably around 25-27). So there's some back story.

This year I was working a game and had an assessor watching me and providing an evaluation. After the match he complimented me on my ability to sprint and overall fitness but then made a comment which included the term "us bigger guys". A few weeks later I was working another game and on a long ball played way over the top there was a foul where two players challeneged for it. Since it was kicked deep I was about 30 yards away when I called the foul (yes it was obvious and no I can't run as fast as a ball flies). The coach for the guilty team yelled out a comment to me which included "If you would just get smaller". The final straw came in June of this year. I was invited to referee at the Youth Regional championships. Referees sent to this tournament are pretty much the upper class of referees in their state (14 states in all supply around 200 high-quality referees). I mention this because again it plays into the fact that most people there were younger than me. Again I'm feeling like the old guy and also starting to feel like the "old fat guy". When I got home after the tournament, a friend posted a picture of me that you now see as my profile picture, on Facebook. I took one look at that gut hanging out in the yellow jersey and decided enough is enough. I'm not going to be the old fat guy. I can't do anything about the old part but I sure as hell can make sure I don't become a fat one. So July 1 I kicked off my lifestyle change, found MFP shortly later and the rest is as they say, history.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I thought that I had got there just because I realized "Oh crap! this is the best time in the world to focus on losing weight" I had no job, wasnt looking, am living away from all my friends (my friends here pretty much suck) and family (Minus husband) and was facing another move but this time to Florida. Beach front Florida to be exact. Our last move went fine but it was a little difficult on me physically. I thought well if i'm in better shape then I'll look better in a bathing suit in florida and i'll actually be able to do more with the move. So that was my first healthy head space

A week later I realized I didn't have a choice. I was working out, for the first time in years, and dislocated my knee. Not only dislocated it but fractured, tore, ripped bruised u name it I did it to my knee. Sadly...this was during the warm up. I was stuck laying on the floor of my living room for 6 hours waiting for my husband to come home from work. I know what you're thinking why didn't you just call him or someone else...well he's active duty AF and was flying so couldn't have done anything anyway...and those friends i told you about that suck? ya didn't pick up their phones. I didn't know who to call for an ambulance because we live on a military base and are new to it at that. So i sat there in pain. Because I couldnt lift myself up i sat on the floor for 6 hours!

In this 6 hours i realized a lot, ONE- I had no upper body strength. TWO- I couldn't even survive 10 minutes of a work out video and THREE- I can survive without food for more then three hours!

I am now 25 lbs down and haven't lost my motivation for more then a weekend haha. I feel like my 25 lbs in 3 months is freakin great considering i spent month 1 on crutches and the couch, month 2 building up to walking a mile at a time and this past month i have been working hard every day!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had noticed clothes getting tighter and my fitness level declining, but it wasn't until I saw photos from a friend's wedding last October that I realized how bad things had gotten. I'm normally pretty photogenic, so I tried doing my usual angles and poses to make things appear slimmer, but failed miserably...too much to hide. One night in early November 2010, I complained for the upteenth time to my hubby about how tired I was of being overweight, and he said that I have to be ready to make the change because I already know how...and I replied calmly that I was. I found the MFP Android app that night and haven't looked back since. Now I'm just shy of 30 lbs lighter and a hell of a lot stronger and more fit.
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I knew I had gained weight, but after avoiding the scale for too long and finally stepping on it, I weighed 10 lbs more than I thought I did. I walked right out the door and walked about 3 miles, the whole time repeating in my head "134, 134... I will never see 134 on that scale again". lol. I am 5'3 as well and have always weighed around 115. I haven't stopped since. I work out 3-5 x a week, eat clean, and watch my calories. Although my weight is holding on for dear life because I have only managed to lose 8 of those pounds. My before pictures were taken about 5 mins after I stepped on the scale that bitter sweet January day.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of "clarity moments" over the last couple of years as I have started and stopped MFP a few times :wink:

My first major one was last May when I stepped on the scale for the first time in six months and saw that I had gained about 20 pounds since I had started my job. I immediately kicked my *kitten* into gear and dropped 19 in four months. But by then I was in a new relationship :love: and lost sense of what it took to stay healthy when I was so used to not being it.

Fast forward to this summer. I have lost the previous job, still in the same relationship, and gained all my previous weight back plus some. Plus 16 to be exact.
    I found myself in a dressing room, with six or seven skirts ranging from L to XL. After the last one didn't fit, I stood looking in the mirror asking myself how I let this all happen. I was so pissed that I had let it happen! I wanted to blame this that and the other but the truth was I was well aware of my choices while making them. I just didn't care. And it showed - all over my hips, thighs, #&% and stomach.

My progress has been up and down over the last three months, and my dedication kind of all over the place. Some days I really stick with it, others I don't care. It's a process. I'm not really sure what happened two weeks ago, but something inside me said I needed to get on the scale and get back online. So I did! I've been logging everyday - give or take the days I'm away from a computer - and doing pretty well.

I think it was a combination of my determination to run another half marathon in October, and vow to lose weight before a family trip to Hawaii in December. I was tired of feeling sorry for myself for being unemployed, and overweight. I needed to get up and do something about it, so I did!
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete emotional eater but had it under control untill last year. I was a menopause baby and my Mum is 77 now, she was diagnosed with Alzheimers and Vascuar Dementia this time last year. Her life just fell to pieces and so did my sisters and mine. She wasn't able to cope with anything anymore, from cooking to finances to taking medication, hygiene etc. etc. Whole rounds of doctors, nurses, psychs, tests, admissions to inpatient care and on and on and on. My mum was devastated and I hated seeing her so unbearably scared. She would swing from anger to tears all the time.

For my part I just felt gutted and like I had lost my mum - I completely and utterly and unceasingly ate my way through the last year - big time!! I have three kids, the youngest of which is three and I am 34. It hurt to see other nans and granddads at the school gate because my mum would never do that ever again for my kids.

Anyway, we got it sorted, she now has carers and meals on wheels and other stuff going on and things have settled. I thought it was safe enough to leave for a week and go on holiday and.......WOAH!!!!!! Those photos!!!!!! I realised that as sad as I was over my mum, I was risking my kids losing me prematurely. I love my mum, but my duty to stay fit, healthy and capable is to my children.

I woke up and realised I hadn't been helping myself in any way at all and what would really help me more is if I became a friend to myself. Instead of relying on food, I could rely on me. So here I am.

And sorry...that was a really long winded way of saying 'It was a photo'. :smile:
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    I had a lot of moments but never really kicked my but in gear. Then one day I just said I can't take this anymore, I'm going to lose this extra person. I was constantly dodging cameras, avoiding eye contact with other folks, anti social?, and among other things.
  • Kimberlycc
    Options
    Great post! My turning point was March of 2008. My husband and I had just had this outrageous arguement and he said he wasn't happy. He'd just lost his job and had to take another at 1/2 the salary. Our kids were doing their teenage things that crush your heart sometimes. And he and I were not on the best of terms. I was really ticked! I thought, I've put my heart and soul into this family for 17 years (since having kids) and denied myself time for me. My joints ache, I'm always tired and no one appreciates me! (A little pity party). Anyway, at that point, I decided to start eating right and exercising. I happened upon the Exercise on Demand channel and found Jillian's video's. From there, I took off. BTW, things were a little better at home, BUT, my attitude was different. I could take on anything. In fact, just getting out and walking to clear my head was great medicine. Then before I knew it, I was almost addicted to exercise. ( I say 'almost' because I've lapsed a few times.) Things are great at home now and I feel really good!