Slide boards??

I vaguely remember these from years ago - they looked so fun! But I have never tried one before, and based on my search on here I don’t think they are hugely popular. Anyone use one? Likes, dislikes? We have very limited space so it would be a good winter/summer indoor cardio option that would store under furniture (I also have a bike trainer for my bike, and am getting a vintage rowing machine tomorrow I hope). I get bored so incredibly easy so doing the same thing day after day just isn’t going to happen (my mom, on the other hand, is just peachy happy doing her 45+ minutes frequently on a treadmill... I.would.go.mad!)

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    I used one in a gym years ago once. I think they actually have a lot of potential, as there is a huge variation in the stuff you can do with them. Probably one of the most space efficient things you could buy to add some variety to your workouts.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    *bump*

I am about to finally pull the trigger on one of these. Anyone else with slide board experience?

Here's an example currently on Amazon Canada: "Better Hockey Extreme Slide Board Pro - Helps You Win The Race to The Puck - Adjustable Length - Comes with 3 Pairs of Booties in Size S, M and L - Used by The Pros"
  • Hmm that's interesting, I've never seen one before.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Oh wow! I totally forgot about this thread! Definitely need to look at these again - thanks for the bump!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I did a 22 mile inline skate on a bike path this summer. First time in many years. I loved it!

I've always been tempted by these. They are a cheap way to get indoor exercise. I just kind of doubt I'd do it for any length of time. You would have to concentrate on it. Whereas, stationary bike requires no thought at all.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    edited September 2020
    I want one of these! I'm an inline speedskater and it would be so awesome to have one at home for training. At the Utah Olympic Oval and other training facilities, they have giant treadmills made specifically for inline skating. Dreams!
  • MaltedTea
    So while it took 11 months and a reminder from a groin rehab program, my 6' slide board came in today.

Rest day, where? No one can tell me I'm not Cindy Klassen 🇨🇦
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I’ve never tried a slide board. I have a set of these slider discs (https://www.amazon.ca/Synergee-Sliders-Hardwood-Abdominal-Equipment/dp/B01CK2KG2C/ref=sr_1_8?crid=RENRXK313CS3&dchild=1&keywords=sliders+fitness&qid=1628641270&sprefix=Sliders,aps,200&sr=8-8). I use them when the exercise program I’m doing uses them. They definitely add more to certain exercises. They are a fraction of the cost of the slide board linked above.

Good luck
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    *bump*

I am about to finally pull the trigger on one of these. Anyone else with slide board experience?

Here's an example currently on Amazon Canada: "Better Hockey Extreme Slide Board Pro - Helps You Win The Race to The Puck - Adjustable Length - Comes with 3 Pairs of Booties in Size S, M and L - Used by The Pros"

Ouch! I had something similar in the 90s but I bet it cost closer to $20. That one is almost $300.

I liked mine. I probably lost it in a move. I wish I could remember if it was hard on my knees, because if not I'd consider getting another.
  • MaltedTea
    The one I ended up with was ~$70 and has a 6' max. After a bit of research I found out wider slide boards (like the one I originally linked to) are for taller people and athletes who are accustomed to larger strides.

I'm no pro yet @kshama2001 but this was nice to my knees since it's there's no impact. I just put on some tunes and started sliding!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    The one I ended up with was ~$70 and has a 6' max. After a bit of research I found out wider slide boards (like the one I originally linked to) are for taller people and athletes who are accustomed to larger strides.

I'm no pro yet @kshama2001 but this was nice to my knees since it's there's no impact. I just put on some tunes and started sliding!

Nice! Would you please link to the one you did get?
  • MaltedTea
    👍🏿 Sure...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07FQV5WT6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

...but this is from Amazon Canada so YMMV
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I had one for a long time. Got it for the wife, but I'd do it sometimes too. It can be a fun workout. Great for a cheap lateral move workout.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I’ve never tried a slide board. I have a set of these slider discs (https://www.amazon.ca/Synergee-Sliders-Hardwood-Abdominal-Equipment/dp/B01CK2KG2C/ref=sr_1_8?crid=RENRXK313CS3&dchild=1&keywords=sliders+fitness&qid=1628641270&sprefix=Sliders,aps,200&sr=8-8). I use them when the exercise program I’m doing uses them. They definitely add more to certain exercises. They are a fraction of the cost of the slide board linked above.

Good luck

The sliders you link to and a slide board are totally different things and used differently.

The sliders are a nice, inexpensive tool for to include in one's exercise equipment box
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member

Use gifs should be required now that you posted about having one. :smile:

Give us updates what you use it the most for. I'm trying to help find some good low impact stuff for my wife that she doesn't hate, and considered one of these.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

Give us updates what you use it the most for. I'm trying to help find some good low impact stuff for my wife that she doesn't hate, and considered one of these.

I'll be honest, I sold ours when we moved. That's exactly why I got ours -- for my wife for low impact work. Her lateral muscles weren't that developed and she would have had to practice doing it a bit more. I had no issues sliding back and forth easily, but she struggled to push off enough to get to the other side.

If your wife is petite, like mine, get a shorter board. I went with the 6 foot one and wished mine was shorter. I think she might have stuck with it more if it had been.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

I'll be honest, I sold ours when we moved. That's exactly why I got ours -- for my wife for low impact work. Her lateral muscles weren't that developed and she would have had to practice doing it a bit more. I had no issues sliding back and forth easily, but she struggled to push off enough to get to the other side.

If your wife is petite, like mine, get a shorter board. I went with the 6 foot one and wished mine was shorter. I think she might have stuck with it more if it had been.

FWIW, there are adjustable slide boards to accommodate different size users with the same board.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I used one at the YMCA about 10-12 years ago. It definitely works out your inner thighs and core because of the balance part of the sliding. May consider getting one myself for winter!