SO Hungry

Options
I'm looking for a little advice. After my workouts, particulary weight training, I am constantly feeling hungry!! I eat a great breakfast before I workout, and if my workout is later in the day, have at least one snack prior to. But, aftewards I can't seem to feel satisfied, no matter what I do! I eat some sort of high-protein snack right after, and try to keep my meals in check, but I just can't keep myself from snacking. Any help or advice would be greatly apprciated! THANKS!!

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Try a protien shake usually hunger after working out is your bodies attempt to replenish itself
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Foods high in fiber will also keep you feeling full longer, so if you have a protein bar after a workout, try to find one with a reasonable amount of fiber in it :)
  • katemanning3
    katemanning3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In the military, they workout before breakfast. Maybe you can try a small snack before your workout, just enough to give you energy through your workout and then eat a full breakfast after. Protein shakes are great, if food isn't feeling you up enough. Try one for lean mucsle mass. The protein shake should always be consumed after your work out as it is meant to replenish your muscles and will help keep you from cramping after a workout as well.
  • sherrylhoward
    sherrylhoward Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In the military, they workout before breakfast. Maybe you can try a small snack before your workout, just enough to give you energy through your workout and then eat a full breakfast after. Protein shakes are great, if food isn't feeling you up enough. Try one for lean mucsle mass. The protein shake should always be consumed after your work out as it is meant to replenish your muscles and will help keep you from cramping after a workout as well.

I'm a fitness instructor, so my workouts are based on my classes. Unfortunately, all of my workouts are after breakfast, as I spend the mornings with my kids getting them ready for school. I have noticed, though, no matter when the workout, I'm still VERY hungry after.

I do drink a protein shake after my workouts (or even during, if it is longer than 60 or so minutes). Thanks for all the feedback!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yup, muscles crave the most energy... which is why muscles need a higher calorie intake (even though most don't eat back cals from weight lifting sessions). Give yourself a small carb and a protein and usually you'll be ok. Maybe a small sandwich or some fruit??
  • delcatty
    delcatty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana before I work out. The potassium helps with hunger I may have and prevents cramping. I drink water during, sometimes mixed with a 0 cal, work out "specific" sweetner/flavour powder (similar to Crystal Light Singles). I work out before supper, so then I just eat as regular after. (I do about 40 minutes of cardio)

So perhaps work out before a meal?