Why do I enjoy the sick feeling after I binge???

Options

Replies

• mariposamom
    Options
    It is funny to me how when we have binged ( maybe purged) we feel so alone in the world with our problem. yet as I read the replies here, I see that we are not alone. Part of my recovery from the binge-purge cycle is knowing and making sure I am not alone in this fight. That is why I joined mfp- a simple online journal with no other accountability or encouragement is not enough when we struggle with those eating habits. it is definitely easier to binge when no one knows, or is around!
    I have also found help in Denise Austin's reccommendations in not restricting my calories too much, filling up on fiber, and allowing healthy snacks, and an occasional treat. My plan is for a mx. of 1500 calories and 40-46 g. fat. It will take a little longer but will stay off longer and I binge less. Allow the Oreos on your diet plan- but plan the serving allowed and put the serving on a plate and wait a little while. You still want it, sit down and eat it slow relishing it.
    Good Luck- I know it is a tough road.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It is funny to me how when we have binged ( maybe purged) we feel so alone in the world with our problem. yet as I read the replies here, I see that we are not alone. Part of my recovery from the binge-purge cycle is knowing and making sure I am not alone in this fight. That is why I joined mfp- a simple online journal with no other accountability or encouragement is not enough when we struggle with those eating habits. it is definitely easier to binge when no one knows, or is around!
    I have also found help in Denise Austin's reccommendations in not restricting my calories too much, filling up on fiber, and allowing healthy snacks, and an occasional treat. My plan is for a mx. of 1500 calories and 40-46 g. fat. It will take a little longer but will stay off longer and I binge less. Allow the Oreos on your diet plan- but plan the serving allowed and put the serving on a plate and wait a little while. You still want it, sit down and eat it slow relishing it.
    Good Luck- I know it is a tough road.

I have to respectfullly disagree with the oreos/snacks idea....treats are for the selfish parts of us....but the best part of us, the part that will carry us through this journey (our body) does not want a sugar filled chemical laden treat...we fool ourselves that we deserve it...but does our body deserve it? start treating yourself with things like good real cheese, or peanut butter, or nuts...it is our bodies that pay the price for our selfishness...
  • mariposamom
    Options
    I would agree with you that our snacks should be healthy and make the calories count. But a treat is a treat. Allowing those treats once in a while is not being selfish but smart. For a binger there is also a deprivation thinking that leads to a binge. Allowing the treat and relishing it staves off a binge, especially when the rest of your food has been healthy and filling.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you enjoy it. But it sounds like you need to get that crap out of your cupboard. If it's not available, you can't eat it at 3am. The sooner you stop, the sooner you'll sleep through the night.

And why are you waking up at 3am? Are you suffering from anxiety? That may be the core issue here. Perhaps the feeling of the binge serves to settle your nerves. You might be better off taking melatonin - or some Rx.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I would agree with you that our snacks should be healthy and make the calories count. But a treat is a treat. Allowing those treats once in a while is not being selfish but smart. For a binger there is also a deprivation thinking that leads to a binge. Allowing the treat and relishing it staves off a binge, especially when the rest of your food has been healthy and filling.

well once again...it is the body that pays for the "treat" so if it hurts the body...how is it a treat? it isnt...it is a slap...but to each their own
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think you enjoy it because it's part of the cycle of self-punishment. At least that's what I've experienced. The binge is punishment, and the aftermath is, too.

I used to enjoy it, too. . .and I think it's because I think, on some level. . .I don't deserve to feel good. (I'm getting over this, BTW).

I also agree that if you are a binger, those foods don't belong in your house. I don't think you should ever say "never" to yourself, but I do not/can not keep junk food in my house, and when I do bring it in (rarely), it's a single serving. (not a large package of small bags, either. . .a box with six "hundred calorie packs" is still a six hundred calorie binge waiting to happen.)
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think you enjoy it because it's part of the cycle of self-punishment. At least that's what I've experienced. The binge is punishment, and the aftermath is, too.

I used to enjoy it, too. . .and I think it's because I think, on some level. . .I don't deserve to feel good. (I'm getting over this, BTW).

I also agree that if you are a binger, those foods don't belong in your house. I don't think you should ever say "never" to yourself, but I do not/can not keep junk food in my house, and when I do bring it in (rarely), it's a single serving. (not a large package of small bags, either. . .a box with six "hundred calorie packs" is still a six hundred calorie binge waiting to happen.)

Well said, Viviakay.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Yea very well said, big boxes of 100 cal packs make no sense to me, you make one bag of popcorn, yum, right? make another bag, yum right? on it goes, so why buy the very expensive 100 cal packs of popcorn when it equals 1000 if you eat them all. Makes no sense...I totally agree with you and yellow-pepper... the binge stuff doesn't belong in the house, be better to go by a small bag of popcorn and suck up the extra cals with the seasoning than bring in the extra pkg's.

My thougts is all... though I have wondered just how many actually eat more than one pkg on those...noone ever mentions it but surely it must be tough on some to have them sitting there. Kudos to those of you that eat one and stop at that.

I've begun logging ALL my cals in (talkin about days I go over for whatever reason...no matter how much) and I have actually found it quite motivating rather than disturbing...guess I find my motivation in odd places?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Not only do I agree with all the comments so far but the 100 calorie packs are a farce. It is just a way for the maker of that product to make even more money, not to mention that like the infamous Snackwells cookies of the 90's people that tend to purchase 100 calorie packs tend to eat more than people with a similar product in normal packaging because mentally you are thinking it is "Only 100 Cals".

You said you constantly loose weight and around 20 lbs you sabotage yourself (for all intents and purposes). You are standing in your own way, maybe you need to look at why you are mentally putting up road blocks to further weight loss. Many people do this for many reasons, you can do this, you just have to look at your situation and break through the road blocks and do this, you can and you deserve to be successful!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree! I need to get that crap out of the house. I have it there for my kids, but I'm sure my hubby will hide it in the garage for me. Maybe he will even let the kids know where it is.

The 100 calorie packs are humorous sometimes. In the Oreo cakesters, there are three tiny cakes, each the size of a quarter. My skinny little daughter can open the pack, eat two, and leave one behind.

Tonight my kids opened their girl scout cookies and each had a few. I took two of the caramel delites and left them in the car. Within 10 minutes I had the 'sick feeling' again. It's nice to know that I can get that with only a minimal amount of the stuff.... if I just wait it out and then pay attention.

I just had a 6 inch subway sandwich for supper, with the works. It was awesome and I feel full, maybe even a little high. I have 200 calories left for the day, and haven't put in my 30 minutes on the treadmill.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! ALL OF YOU!
    Brenda
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    always curious why folks keep the junk food in the house at all....most definitely kids don't benefit by it....I often see folks say they HAVE to buy it for the kids... not sure exactly what that means? The junk food is simply that...non nutirious JUNK no matter who eats it..there's no nutional value to it from all that I've read.
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    I guess because my kids are on the underweight side, I figure they shouldn't be deprived to the point that they binge when it is available to them. Does that make any sense?

I did avoid buying the Girl Scout cookies when the sales came around, but found my daughter (size 0) looking up girl scout cookies on ebay this weekend! LOL!:laugh: SO, since I teach, the cookies were still available for purchase even after the sales were over! AND btw, my scrawny little girl had two thin mint cookies... and quit.

OMG! I just logged those two coconut delite cookies in... 140 calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I guess because my kids are on the underweight side, I figure they shouldn't be deprived to the point that they binge when it is available to them. Does that make any sense?

I did avoid buying the Girl Scout cookies when the sales came around, but found my daughter (size 0) looking up girl scout cookies on ebay this weekend! LOL!:laugh: SO, since I teach, the cookies were still available for purchase even after the sales were over! AND btw, my scrawny little girl had two thin mint cookies... and quit.

deprived? of what? how can we be deprived of junk food? I dont get it
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

deprived? of what? how can we be deprived of junk food? I dont get it
    don't understand it either... I simply don't understand the rationalization of kids needing junk so they are not deprived, you're not the only one that's shared that here...so please don't take it personally toward you, as it's come up alot on here....that husbands and children NEED their junk food. I do not understand that... If one wants to eat healthy it would seem like a great time to include the entire family in support of one another.

Underweight kids DO NOT need cookies to gain weight in the correct manner....they are empty cals...cheese and an apple after school, banana with PB,...that would be great afterschool snacks and healthy ones that give energy to grow and not something you'd need a nap after.....

We all have our ways I guess.....

why would underweight kids even think to binge unless the concept has been taught to them? Most healthy kids don't even know what that means, it's the kids that grow up in a 'diet mentality' household that would be familiar with that word.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I think that treats are treats and should be treated as such.

We keep a ton of yogurt in the house and fruit and I actually have to tell my kids to not eat all the fruit today so I have some for breakfast the next day. Kids eat healthy if you keep the crap out of the house.

When we do want sweets I take them to the snow cone store or ice cream or let them get a candy bar every now and then. Plus it helps me, if it isn't around I am not tempted. Kids need to be taught how to eat right without putting your weight issues on them. Teach them that sweets are treats and they don't even ask for them.........out of sight out of mind!

You don't deprive kids of a healthy life when you give them the tools they need to be healthy.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    This is a little long - sorry:embarassed: Hope the information helps.
    Ok, I am late coming to this party, I hope everyone hasn't gone on to something else. Here are my
    thoughts, as a substance abuse therapist and a food addict and a recent new member of MFP. First thought: Those of you who are healthy snackers, have you always been this way, or do you remember at some time having those sweet, empty calorie snacks around? I am couious because I know why peiple have those snacks around, once you have developed a taste for them, they create a dependency that only they can fill. They are a quick fix. Its not about the logical good snack vs. bad snack. Its about the dependency. When you stop eating them, your body goes through withdrawal. Your legs feel like lead, you are sluggish and irriitable, which incidently are the same symptoms experienced by someone withdrawing from cocaine or to a lesser degree, meth. Did you guys never go through this?

So, the dependency is a physical/chemical thing. The "why" may be a very different thing. It seems likely, and in my experience, it is usually an emotional thing. We seek comfort, security, validation, control, etc through eating, and specifically binging. We may be able to point to a specific event, or chain of events and say, thats when I started to binge. It may be to cover painful feelings, loneliness, etc. Its a coping mechanism. One of the best ways past that is to (1) honor the old coping mechanism for what it is, our best attempt at the time to deal with or get through something. (2) Decide that while the old coping mechanism (binging, secret eating, less desirable food choices) served us for a while, there are better ways to cope, and we are going to find them. (3) Then, make changes and celebrate our resolve to make today a new day. Its very important to not beat up on ourselves any more for the past. Beating up on yourself, or being beaten up by others will likely drive us back to our old coping mechanixm.

Last but definitely not least: TRIGGERS. We must learn what they are and then avoid them. See YankeesGIrl's thread, "Its Official, I'm a junkie." Seems like the popcorn may be a trigger. And, finally, CRAVINGS. As we change our lives, we are bound to experience cravings, just like drug users do. Think of the craving as a wave - it grows, peaks and subsides. If you ride the wave rather than give into it, it will subside. If we give in the the craving, the next wavve/crave is usually bigger and stronger.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Very nicely put Kristi:happy:

I've noticed that for myself when a craving hits if I jump right on the thought, then boom to late!:noway:

If I allow some thinking time to weight the pro's and cons of it by going beyond the craving itself I tend to be able to put it off and most times just a short time later it's not even something on my mind anymore.

But if I'm in the cycle then it takes a couple days of healthy eating to be much more free from those thoughts and they also lose their power over me then.

FC:heart:
  • Violet_Mist
    Options
    Even though this wasn't done for me, THANK YOU ALL for posting info on this topic! Binging was the reason why I never lost weight! I just HAD to eat a load of junk at night before I went to bed...and the sweets! I had a major sweet tooth, and I ALWAYS gave in!

After reading the posts in this thread, I have even more motivation to quit BINGING! I won't do it anymore! NO MORE BINGING!:drinker: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Even though this wasn't done for me, THANK YOU ALL for posting info on this topic! Binging was the reason why I never lost weight! I just HAD to eat a load of junk at night before I went to bed...and the sweets! I had a major sweet tooth, and I ALWAYS gave in!

After reading the posts in this thread, I have even more motivation to quit BINGING! I won't do it anymore! NO MORE BINGING!:drinker: :drinker:
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    I've decided this morning that there has to be a way to replicate that sick feeling. AND I'm also wondering if it is related to my constipation issue. I think I might be bingeing to get my stomach contents to push the waste out? It's wierd how we don't consciously know why our issues are there, we just try to deal with them.

I don't know if it might have to do with my college days when I had very little to eat, and then went home for a visit - and was finally able to fill up?

Whatever it is, I'm back on track. I had my normal breakfast, no cravings for sweets today, and the scale dropped a pound this morning! I joined THE team with cmriverside, and set a new goal: 30 consecutive days without going over my calorie limit!

I'm READY to see 189 on my scale!!! (I've been waivering around 192-196 for weeks).

Thanks all of you.

(P.S. I'm convinced. The sweets are leaving my house... I'll put them in the teacher's lounge and return in 5 minutes to find them all gone! CMR you made a great point about the mixing fat and carbs with protein. This explains why my protein bars don't cause me to crave more sugar!) You are awesome!!!:bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!