Daggon hard boiled egg shells

Options
2»

Replies

• katyjay2014
    katyjay2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I second the "fresh eggs peel horribly" bit. I buy a dozen from the grocery store simply for boiling, I use fresh for everything else.

I boil my plain water, add in a couple eggs and let it go for my desired doneness. Take it out and drop it in a bowl of cold water hard enough that the egg cracks = easy to peel. I tried adding salt/baking soda/other hacks but they never worked for me. This does!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto on older eggs peeling much, much easier. I usually won't bother hard boiling eggs unless they've been sitting in my fridge at least a week.

Doing them in the pressure cooker (Instapot) also makes it easier. And peeling under running water.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    onepebble wrote: »
    It can help to use a teaspoon- crack the egg then ease a teaspoon between the egg and the shell. This makes it much easier for me.

I came in to say this exactly. One famous chef (having a hard time recalling who ATM, though) recommended this method and it works!
  • gjfredrick
    gjfredrick Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Combine 6 c. water, 1 Tbsp salt and 1/4 c. of white vinegar. Bring to a boil. Gently add 8 eggs to boiling water. Lower heat to gentle boil and cook for 14 minutes. Remove eggs to ice water and cool for 15 minutes. Crack and peel. Works every time. Sometimes I double it if I need to make more eggs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    We use an egg genie to cook ours but...I think they key is cracking them all over as soon as they are done cooking, before putting them in cold water. A multi pot might be a good idea if you like to cook rice a lot. I cook a lot of brown rice. The pressure cook feature cuts down on cooking time. You also don't have to worry about watching it, like on the stove top.
  • SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I boil eggs the same way each time, on the stove starting from cold water. Some times the eggs peel perfectly and other times are just awful. Since I don't vary the cooking it must just depend on the eggs. I haven't paid enough attention to how old they are.

After reading raves on the internet I did "boil" eggs in my Instantpot and I didn't care for the results. The yolk was great but the white had an off putting texture that I hated.