Low Carb/high-fat diet...thoughts?

Hi everyone -

I started looking into low cal/high fat diets. Currently my cal deficit is going well with my current composition of carbs (usually somewhere in the 45-50% daily macros). During the process I have gotten rid of junk foods/sugary drinks but I do like my bread, grains, and pasta...

However, I really have gotten into the literature of low cal diets. Would just like to get your thoughts on this diet?
- does it work for you?
- was the process to change to lower carbs hard?
- was there any pointers for someone thinking about moving to low carb diets?

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    I lasted less than a week on the original South Beach Diet, which is lower carb. I didn't like it. I would do even worse on something high fat like keto, as while I enjoy fat very much, I do not find it very filling.

For me, what is helpful is to reduce carbs that come from foods like bread and baked goods, and to increase protein and fiber.

But plenty of people here do find eating low carb a good way for them to create a calorie deficit.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    It works for me because it got my blood sugar numbers back below the level of diabetes diagnosis, so I didn't have to take tablet - and that's the way I plan to keep it

Was it hard - yes and no. For my normal diet, it's no problem - I cook smaller portions of pasta, put fewer potatoes on my plate and cook rice in bulk which I then freeze in 100g portions bags. For my normal office life, an almost endless supply of cakes, biscuits, pastries (sweet & savoury), crisps and other high carb goodies made things very hard. I can resist anything but temptation. It's not a problem at home as I don't generally buy such things; when the pack is open on a desk that I walk passed several times a day, that's tough.

It also depends on how low you're talking. Diabetes UK recommended under 130g a day, so that's what I do. Keto is more like 50g or less and there is no way I'd even consider that.

Another consideration is why are you doing it? Do you intend to keep it up for the rest of your life? If not, why not just reduce quantity a little and adjust your macros accordingly. In my case, my health dictated change.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I find it pretty easy to cut starchy carbs as they aren't my favorites anyway, but wouldn't cut back on fruit or veg. I tended to eat low-ish carb for part of my weight loss (100-120 g), but that was just due to personal preference. If I thought I'd really miss higher carb foods and wasn't having any issue like hunger to push me to change, I wouldn't bother. I don't consider low carb diets better in any health-related way (unless you have an issue with blood sugar).

I did try keto briefly out of curiosity, but didn't like having carbs that low -- I had to basically cut out foods I consider really healthy like fruit and legumes and really limit even plain yogurt and nuts. It wasn't particularly hard to stick to for me, although I think I would have gotten bored eventually, but just didn't seem to have any purpose for me to justify skipping the foods I could not fit in.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I lasted less than a week on the original South Beach Diet Atkins diet, which is lower carb. I didn't like it. I would do even worse on something high fat like keto, as while I enjoy fat very much, I do not find it very filling.

But plenty of people here do find eating low carb a good way for them to create a calorie deficit.

FIFMe
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I'm another who lost weight on low carb dieting (Atkins) but didn't find it sustainable over the long term. It depends on how much you like meat, cheese, butter, etc. vs. bread, fruit, potatoes. The more restrictive the eating the harder it is to keep going and to maintain your weight loss afterwards. If you go back to "normal" eating, without having an idea of the calories involved, you'll just regain the weight afterwards.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I lasted less than a week on the original South Beach Diet, which is lower carb. I didn't like it. I would do even worse on something high fat like keto, as while I enjoy fat very much, I do not find it very filling.

For me, what is helpful is to reduce carbs that come from foods like bread and baked goods, and to increase protein and fiber.

Same here...I did the South Beach Phase 1 out of curiosity awhile back. I think I lasted two days? Maybe? I'm just not good at extra restrictions and found difficulty in keeping track of what was "allowed " and what wasn't.
    I mean, really I think when it comes to lower carb, its more of a personal choice. How do you like to eat, OP? I once saw someone here comment that the weight loss phase should look a lot like maintenance, meaning can you eat that way for the long haul? Some people love low carb. If its for you, go for it! You already know that it isn't *necessary* to lose weight. Its really just a different strategy.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    I recently cut back on my daily calorie intake by switching to macros based tracking and meal plans doing 30/40/30. 30% carbs, 40% fats, 30% protein. This has worked well for me because with the reduced carbs it's easier to be low cal for the day and the higher fats help to keep me full and satiated. I haven't had difficulty with maintening eating this way while doing this plan. I try to make the fats as healthy as possible.

I hurt my foot 7 weeks ago and have still been able to drop despite my reduced activity due to injury recovery.
  • I think carbs have a bad reputation. You need to eat carbs. The challenge is too many of us eat too many carbs. Track what you eat and track your changes. Overtime you’ll learn what the right proportion of macros ( fat, carbs and protein) are for you.
    You may find increasing protein helps to reduce carbs. Protein should fill you up more. When eating carbs select complex carbs — whole grains, less processed.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited September 2020
    I have seen people in my family have a lot of initial success using the Atkins diet, but they have since gained the weight back, and then some. It seems that people using these type of diets have trouble sticking to them over the long-term.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I have had success on a high carb diet and a Ketogenic diet; 50 lbs and 10 lbs respectively. I tend to gravitate towards keto/lc currently as it has the largest impact on my satiety. Anytime i have high carb meals (even with protein), my hunger shoots thru the roof.

My tips would be:

1. Focus on proteins (for me its lean meats and fatty fish)
    2. Focus on fibrous veggies (avocado, spinach, etc...) and low GI fruits (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and occasionally kiwi)
    3. Eliminate foods with added sugar
    4. Keep away from grains and legumes
    5. Keep away from starches
    6. Increase sodium
    7. Eat dairy
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    6. Increase sodium
    7. Eat dairy
    Personally I think eating anything in moderation within your calories deficit is good. Increasing Sodium is very dangerous for most people. Grains and legumes are very healthy, again eat within your calorie deficit.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    My first time out of the chute, I ate fat, fat, fat. 'Fat is where it's at.' Come to find out, it wasn't. I ate it all back.
    There will come a time when the diminishing returns aren't worth eating all of the fat. Can you eat like this for the rest of your life?

We have to create our own positive food management plan that we can actually live with.
    Long term weight stability begins and ends with a strategy that will work no matter where you are and what kinds of foods you have access to.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have had success on a high carb diet and a Ketogenic diet; 50 lbs and 10 lbs respectively. I tend to gravitate towards keto/lc currently as it has the largest impact on my satiety. Anytime i have high carb meals (even with protein), my hunger shoots thru the roof.

My tips would be:

2. Focus on fibrous veggies (avocado, spinach, etc...) and low GI fruits (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and occasionally kiwi)
    6. Increase sodium
    7. Eat dairy

I have to admit that while I found Phase 1 of South Beach/low carb more difficult to follow because of all the "rules", I noticed that I was doing a better job of hitting my protein goal during that time. I was pretty happy to see the balance of my macros (from a well being standpoint, of course, not from a weightloss perspective). My satiety was pretty good, too.
    May I ask about number 6 on your list, though? Why the increase in sodium? Is the electrolytes or possibly a satiety thing? Just curious.
  • psuLemon
    Heart_Fit wrote: »
    6. Increase sodium
    7. Eat dairy
    Personally I think eating anything in moderation within your calories deficit is good. Increasing Sodium is very dangerous for most people. Grains and legumes are very healthy, again eat within your calorie deficit.

If you go low carb, especially ketogenic, you need high sodium as its a key electrolyte that is lost thru glycogen depletion.

Also, i never said starches, grains or legumes were unhealthy, but if someone wants to be low carb or keto, those are something you want to eliminate or reduce. Also, they are non essential and you can get plenty of nutrients from other foods like avocado, low gi berries, spinach (dark leafy greens), etc...

While a deficit is what is needed for weight loss, the implementation and sustainment of it takes an approach that fits one's lifestyle. So being healthy can occur with a variety of foods.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I've incorporated several of @psuLemon's tips into my own strategy. I eat more protein, sure do. I eat fish, fish, fish all of the time. I catch my own.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »

My tips would be:

6. Increase sodium
    7. Eat dairy

I have to admit that while I found Phase 1 of South Beach/low carb more difficult to follow because of all the "rules", I noticed that I was doing a better job of hitting my protein goal during that time. I was pretty happy to see the balance of my macros (from a well being standpoint, of course, not from a weightloss perspective). My satiety was pretty good, too.
    May I ask about number 6 on your list, though? Why the increase in sodium? Is the electrolytes or possibly a satiety thing? Just curious.

As noted above, when low carbs, your body will reduce glycogen and insulin levels which will cause a loss of electrolytes. This is why people get keto flu.

Sodium is only necessarily bad if you have hypertension. I regularly maintain 5000mg of sodium while I do Keto. I had a rhr of 55 and a bp of 105/60.

The associations of sodium to poor health ia driven by the fact people get most of their sodium from highly processed foods. If you are getting sodium from natural sources, i highly doubt you will ever see adverse effects.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Personally I couldn't get on board with it. I found that without carbs I just never felt properly satisfied, no matter what my fat:protein ratio was. That and I never considered low carb as being a long term eating plan for me, so I didn't find it a very helpful strategy. However many people do find it a helpful method of controlling appetite., so if it looks like something you could get on board with have a go, the worse that'll happen is that you decide it's not for you.

Some things to note:
    Low carb diets tend to result in a high level of weight loss fast initially, however most of this is water weight and not fat loss. Therefore many find that if they decide low carb isn't for them, they gain a lot of weight straight away (same if they have cheat days etc.). It's not real weight gain, it's just the regain of that water weight. It can be disheartening if you like to have a mid/high carb day occasionally to see the scale suddenly jump up, but if you bare this in mind it should help.

Also, as mentioned above, salt is important for low carb. As is many electrolytes. With a mid/high carb diet, we normally get high enough levels without even trying (often too high levels if you eat a lot of processed foods). But with low carb it's often something that need to be consciously added to the diet to ensure suitable levels.