Pumpkin spice season is here!

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@FireOpalCO you're absolutely right in that pumpkin spice everything is a stupid marketing gimmick. However, I've been using PP spice for decades and once I get over being sad about the end of summer, look forward to the fall and winter baking season.

But PP spice is what's used to make pumpkin pie. I buy it from Frontier by the pound:

https://smile.amazon.com/Frontier-Pumpkin-Pie-Spice-Ounce/dp/B001VNGO2S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it

About the product
    • 1 Pound Bulk Bag
    • An aromatic blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves for pies, custards and eggnog
    • All-Natural, Kosher
    • Non-Irradiated
    • Frontier is a member owned co-op, responsible to people and planet

To be pendantic for a second, PP spice is what some people use to make pumpkin pie, it's a short cut, not a requirement.

Okay serious question. Why do you use Pumpkin Pie spice blend instead of just keeping the individual spices? I love to bake as well, which is why I have the individual spices. To have the spice blend would be redundant and potentially wasteful (I replace my spices regularly when they start to lose potency).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Can we possibly make pumpkin spice go away? What is it anyway? Is it the spice mix used to make pumpkin pie or is it a mix of pumpkin flavor and the spices that usually accompany it?
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

@FireOpalCO you're absolutely right in that pumpkin spice everything is a stupid marketing gimmick. However, I've been using PP spice for decades and once I get over being sad about the end of summer, look forward to the fall and winter baking season.

But PP spice is what's used to make pumpkin pie. I buy it from Frontier by the pound:

https://smile.amazon.com/Frontier-Pumpkin-Pie-Spice-Ounce/dp/B001VNGO2S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it

About the product
    • 1 Pound Bulk Bag
    • An aromatic blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves for pies, custards and eggnog
    • All-Natural, Kosher
    • Non-Irradiated

To be pendantic for a second, PP spice is what some people use to make pumpkin pie, it's a short cut, not a requirement.

Okay serious question. Why do you use Pumpkin Pie spice blend instead of just keeping the individual spices? I love to bake as well, which is why I have the individual spices. To have the spice blend would be redundant and potentially wasteful (I replace my spices regularly when they start to lose potency).

I agree. Typical Pumpkin Pie spice mix contains: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace, and cloves. Other than mace, these are all basic spices that most will already have. The recipe on the Libby pumpkin can only uses cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.

How often do you replace your spices? I used to work for a spice merchant with an excellent reputation and their suggestion is to replace them when they start to lose that "oomph" but no more frequently than a year for herbs and ground spices and 3 years for whole spices (except nutmegs which can keep for 5 years). Replacing more frequently than that is a waste of money because there is a good chance you are replacing with the same crop as your previous purchase since herbs and spices are generally annual crops.

On the other hand, if you use a lot you should buy more frequently. I get cumin in the 4 oz bag and purchase about every 9 months or so. One bag will refill my jar 2 times.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2018

I have done both. When I was in the mood for this in morning coffees and mid morning protein shakes, I bought a little container of pumpkin pie spice so that I didn't need to measure several spices several times a day. When baking, I do generally measure out each item separately.

@earlnabby - I replace spices when I think they are losing their oomph. I don't date the containers, so it's a judgement call. I review everything about once a year to see if anything is getting old. Oh, and I too have cumin as a high volume spice!

Does anyone else grow any of your own? I planted rosemary and oregano outside my front door and now always have those fresh. I grow basil some years, too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2018

I have done both. When I was in the mood for this in morning coffees and mid morning protein shakes, I bought a little container of pumpkin pie spice so that I didn't need to measure several spices several times a day. When baking, I do generally measure out each item separately.

@earlnabby - I replace spices when I think they are losing their oomph. I don't date the containers, so it's a judgement call. I review everything about once a year to see if anything is getting old. Oh, and I too have cumin as a high volume spice!

Does anyone else grow any of your own? I planted rosemary and oregano outside my front door and now always have those fresh. I grow basil some years, too.

I grow sage, chives, and oregano as perennials. Basil and parsley are my usual annuals. I have grown cilantro but one hot day and it bolts so I usually end up with coriander instead. Don't bother any more. I don't use enough rosemary to plant it every year. We are far enough north that it dies in the frozen ground.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    I've been putting pumpkin butter spread in my yogurt with pumpkin seeds for lunch for a while now.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Marketing gimmick or not, the traditional pumpkin pie spices are a great combination of flavors and I love it!
    A lot of people must agree or it would fail as a marketing gimmick.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

How often do you replace your spices? I used to work for a spice merchant with an excellent reputation and their suggestion is to replace them when they start to lose that "oomph" but no more frequently than a year for herbs and ground spices and 3 years for whole spices (except nutmegs which can keep for 5 years). Replacing more frequently than that is a waste of money because there is a good chance you are replacing with the same crop as your previous purchase since herbs and spices are generally annual crops.

I usually replace spices about every 1-2 years or when I notice the color faded or lacking potency when tasted. I store my spices in a rack under a cabinet, so not completely out of sunlight, but I have no other place to put them. There are definitely spices that get purchased more frequency due to use, cinnamon is a big one. I also don't buy the bulk jars of any of them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

About the product
    • 1 Pound Bulk Bag
    • All-Natural, Kosher
    • Non-Irradiated

Couple reasons:
    1. PP spice blend is my all purpose warm spice for baking, like Italian seasoning is my all purpose dried green savory spice.
    2. When one is doing a lot of baking, it is much more convenient to just need one jar, rather than 4-5 jars.

That said, I do have all the separate components of PP spice. I have lots of spices. Don't get me started :lol:

When I buy spices by the pound, I put some in a jar and freeze the rest in the original silver bag within a ziplock freezer bag. I don't have a problem with Frontier spices losing potency. I've gotten some terrible spices at a Job Lot type store and don't buy spices there anymore.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Reviving. It’s time.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Reviving. It’s time.

Bless this time of colorful leaves, apple cider, pumpkin spice, and cool rainy weather. I make a pumpkin smoothie that I will now drink hot instead of cold. I can finally wear the sweatshirts I found at the thrift shop in the summer.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I knew there was a reason why this is my favorite time of year. Pumpkin!!!!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Reviving. It’s time.

So good of you! I feel like I have never been more ready for fall than this year. Bring on the pumpkin spice!
  • ReenieHJ
    Oh yeh.
    Pumpkin bread
    Pumpkin pie
    AND don't leave the apple spice of the season behind!!
    Apple Crisp
    Apple Pie
    Apple Bread
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Oh yeh.
    Pumpkin bread
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple Crisp
    Apple Pie
    Apple Bread

I've been using pumpkin pie spice in apple cake LONG before it was a thing :)

https://newenglandapples.org/2013/10/06/fresh-spencers-in-mrs-cheneys-nobby-apple-cake/

I'm not quite ready to start baking, but I'll get there soon.

My local fruit farm has a new variety of early apple that I adore - Zestar.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    It still feels like summer here, but that didn't stop me from getting a pumpkin cream cheese muffin at Starbucks.
  • ReenieHJ
    Oh yeh.
    Pumpkin bread
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple Crisp
    Apple Pie
    Apple Bread

https://newenglandapples.org/2013/10/06/fresh-spencers-in-mrs-cheneys-nobby-apple-cake/

*sigh* I can't bake any of that stuff because I can make it disappear faster than magic while dh will eat like a normal person, 1 serving a day. He always asks me what happened to 'whatever it is I made and wolfed down' which makes me feel like a pig. :( Maybe I'll check out something in a one-serving mug. :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Oh yeh.
    Pumpkin bread
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple Crisp
    Apple Pie
    Apple Bread

*sigh* I can't bake any of that stuff because I can make it disappear faster than magic while dh will eat like a normal person, 1 serving a day. He always asks me what happened to 'whatever it is I made and wolfed down' which makes me feel like a pig. :( Maybe I'll check out something in a one-serving mug. :)

You know, looking at that recipe, it's only for an 8x8 pan, so not a huge amount. Plus, I think it would freeze really well. If you really wanted to make it, you could cut portions for yourself and your husband, and freeze the rest in individual portions.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Oh yeh.
    Pumpkin bread
    Pumpkin pie
    Apple Crisp
    Apple Pie
    Apple Bread

You know, looking at that recipe, it's only for an 8x8 pan, so not a huge amount. Plus, I think it would freeze really well. If you really wanted to make it, you could cut portions for yourself and your husband, and freeze the rest in individual portions.

Nono, you don't seem to understand. I'll know it's in the freezer and am sure frozen will taste just as good. :blush:

Hey, we're twins! Freezing things won't stop me from eating it.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Love love love pumpkin anything and I'd probably eat the bologna and tacos!!! I'm definitely getting some pumpkin Cheerios and creamer! It's hot here but pumpkin takes me to a cool autumn in my mind, as one can dream...