DO NOT eat less then 1200 or 1000 calories.

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Please people don't be dumb, there is a reason eating less then 1200 is dumb. Yes, you can lose weight eating under 1200 calories, and some of you out there have. That is not the issue, what I want to know is how long you keep that weight off. A year? Longer? That is what you need to post, not how much you lost. Losing weight by not eating isn't the issue, it's keeping the weight off.

Let me ask you this for those uneducated people that want a quick fix, do you really only want to eat less then 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life? Because that is what you'll end up having to do. Fluctuating weight is not ideal, but, yes, it is better then being hugely overweight. But how many people have the will power to keep going back on a diet, and succeeding, I'll wager very very few.

So before you go under 1200 calroies, which is something u have to discuss with your doctor if you have the right body type for it, remember: DIETS DON'T WORK! (because people loss the weight, but then don't keep it off) LIFESTYLE CHANGES WORK! (because that is how you live and it has taken time to make sure you are use to it and can do it.)

[when i'm 100 lbs less, I will post every 6 months to let you know that i am keeping it off. Something this, otherwise very useful, website doesn't think about]

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    How doesnt this website think about that...you can set your goal to lose, gain or maintain
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well said. Check this out.

http://www.nowloss.com/very-low-calorie-diets-will-not-work.htm#

If you eat a VLCD you will throw yourself into starvation mode and the moment you start eating maintenance calories you start to gain weight.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I understand your point, but don't come preaching to the EDUCATED people who know their bodies and have been successful doing so. I have been eating around 1200-1400 daily, and have successfully lost and kept off 35lbs. YES, when you get to your goal, you need to up your calories to maintain your weight. That is common sense. I eat when I am hungry, and my body NEVER goes hungry. If I was hungry and starving at the end of the day, I would understand your point.

Everybody's body is different. Alot of people need to keep that in mind before making ignorant posts. :)
  • cjasins
    Options
    woo hoo! love these posts. Losing weight should be part of a HEALTHY lifestyle change!!
  • flanbo
    Options
    I stay above 1200 as much as I can. Sometimes I just don't feel hungry enough though :(
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    "This otherwise useful website" recommends not going below 1200 calories. So I'm confused at your post.

Considering I'm an "uneducated person" I'd like to point out it's THAN not THEN and its LOSE not LOSS.

I get your point, but don't bash this website if you don't exactly have your facts straight.

Edit: BTW - I eat over 1500 calories per day. I agree with your inital comments that this should be a lifestyle change.. right up until the end of your comment.
  • MissRomeo84
    MissRomeo84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This isn't helpful to some, but might be to others. I know people who eat under their 1200 and it does tend to cause their weight to fluctuate... thanking you x The rest, stop being cynical, like one said he doesn't suit you, well it might suit others in terms they might be misinformed.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Please people don't be dumb, there is a reason eating less then 1200 is dumb. Yes, you can lose weight eating under 1200 calories, and some of you out there have. That is not the issue, what I want to know is how long you keep that weight off. A year? Longer? That is what you need to post, not how much you lost. Losing weight by not eating isn't the issue, it's keeping the weight off.

Let me ask you this for those uneducated people that want a quick fix, do you really only want to eat less then 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life? Because that is what you'll end up having to do. Fluctuating weight is not ideal, but, yes, it is better then being hugely overweight. But how many people have the will power to keep going back on a diet, and succeeding, I'll wager very very few.

So before you go under 1200 calroies, which is something u have to discuss with your doctor if you have the right body type for it, remember: DIETS DON'T WORK! (because people loss the weight, but then don't keep it off) LIFESTYLE CHANGES WORK! (because that is how you live and it has taken time to make sure you are use to it and can do it.)

[when i'm 100 lbs less, I will post every 6 months to let you know that i am keeping it off. Something this, otherwise very useful, website doesn't think about]

PREACH and Talk SHYT when YOU LOSE YOUR 100+ LBS and have kept it OFF for 2+ years and Still Going Strong. UNTIL THEN, You DO your thing and everyone else will DO what they choose. EVERYONE learns in DUE COURSE! Next week you could be posting, "Went on a Binge..." Focus on YOU, DO YOU!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    More sanctimonious nonsense from people who think god put them on earth to set the rest of us straight.

There may be many good reasons for someone to eat less than 1000 calories. Some people are in such danger from their *current* weight problem, that rapid weight loss is essential. They have their doctor's recommendation, and know what they are doing.

It's really quite ridiculous to post what you *think* you know while proclaiming that people who live differently are simply uneducated. In fact, it's SO ridiculous, that I can't help but dismiss you entirely.
  • cjasins
    Options
    I think the post was referring to the lack of posts from people who have lost the weight and successfully kept it off for long periods of time. The site is more aimed at weight loss and not maintenance but I think it can be used no matter what your goal.
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    "This otherwise useful website" recommends not going below 1200 calories. So I'm confused at your post.

Considering I'm an "uneducated person" I'd like to point out it's THAN not THEN and its LOSE not LOSS.

I get your point, but don't bash this website if you don't exactly have your facts straight.

Edit: BTW - I eat over 1500 calories per day. I agree with your inital comments that this should be a lifestyle change.. right up until the end of your comment.

It's "then". Unless I'm seeing the wrong "then" that you're referring to....and I don't think the OP was calling you (or me, or the general MFPer) uneducated, just people who crash diet...at least that's what I read?
  • cjasins
    Options
  • cjasins
    Options
    More sanctimonious nonsense from people who think god put them on earth to set the rest of us straight.

There may be many good reasons for someone to eat less than 1000 calories. Some people are in such danger from their *current* weight problem, that rapid weight loss is essential. They have their doctor's recommendation, and know what they are doing.

It's really quite ridiculous to post what you *think* you know while proclaiming that people who live differently are simply uneducated. In fact, it's SO ridiculous, that I can't help but dismiss you entirely.

If you read the post you would have seen that they stated not to go under "without" seeing a physician first. I think that promoting eating such low calories "without" medical supervision can be very dangerous. I agree that eating a low amount of calories can lead to weight loss but how healthy is it really?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

PREACH and Talk SHYT when YOU LOSE YOUR 100+ LBS and have kept it OFF for 2+ years and Still Going Strong. UNTIL THEN, You DO your thing and everyone else will DO what they choose. EVERYONE learns in DUE COURSE! Next week you could be posting, "Went on a Binge..." Focus on YOU, DO YOU!

Couldn't agree more.

I am a dietetics major at my university and have talked to many girls in the same major. Many have lost weight eating less then that and either did not know they were eating so little or did not care. They upped their intake and KEPT IT OFF. The more they learn the more they look back on it and realize it was wrong. People live and LEARN. If they dont keep the weight off, they can and most likely will try again.

Dislike the whole know it all attitude. Just because you eat more then 1200 calories does not make you some sort of hero :P
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yup. There is no way a morbidly obese person can starve to death if they're receiving the appropriate nutritional supplements.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

If you read the post you would have seen that they stated not to go under "without" seeing a physician first. I think that promoting eating such low calories "without" medical supervision can be very dangerous. I agree that eating a low amount of calories can lead to weight loss but how healthy is it really?

I agree it can be very unhealthy. I think many people eating that low amounts are not aware of what they are doing to their body or dont care. They just want to lose weight. None of my buisness so I do not judge :flowerforyou:
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

I think the post suggests that going under 1200 is bad, even if you talk to your doctor about it. Discussing with your dr was thrown in as an afterthought.

And that doesn't address the tone, which is nauseating.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i eat less than 1,200 calories frequently....even less than 1,000. We all have different opinions and situations, and the OP was simply voicing his ^.^ Just reminding everyone not to get too offended ^.^ I think he didn't mean any harm, and infact was trying to help (tough love approach).
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    i eat less than 1,200 calories frequently....even less than 1,000. We all have different opinions, and the OP was simply voicing hers ^.^ Just reminding everyone not to get too offended ^.^

And my opinion is that the message gets lost when the tone is such a turn-off. I'm not offended at all. It's not personal, that's for sure.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

It's "then". Unless I'm seeing the wrong "then" that you're referring to....and I don't think the OP was calling you (or me, or the general MFPer) uneducated, just people who crash diet...at least that's what I read?

It's in the title... and it's than. TYVM.

Regardless, I agree with one of the PP -

I'm looking forward to the success photos. Until then, happy calorie counting!