Types of masks to wear in gym

Options
Gyms are reopening but will require masks. I enjoy running on treadmill so I am looking for any ones experience on this and type brand name likes dislikes. It is not my intent to turn this into any type of discussion regarding Covid19 and individuals views. I would like this to be a discussion on types of masks and individuals personal experience. I was thinking of something like this
81nDxnnaFtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's absolutely the wrong mask to use. It allows you to discharge drops. I'm glad to hear gyms are disallowing them.

I like cotton ones, or even the disposable surgical ones are okay.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Just put a surgical or cloth mask over it
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If the goal is to protect others, a simple surgical mask will do. If you want to also protect yourself, there are disposable N95 (this is for Europe, not sure what it is called in US if you are there) masks without a filter, but the problem is they are not that comfortable when you are getting hot, and I am not sure you can run with them on.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I’ve got a U-mask (the ones the F1 teams wear). Haven’t trained in it yet but the filter holds it out from your nose and mouth (still fits tightly around the edges) so I think it will be good for training. It seemed a bit expensive but it claims the filter lasts for up to 200 hours and it has the same protection as medical grade masks. It is certainly more comfortable that the cotton ones I was wearing - largely because it’s not pressing against my mouth when I try to inhale.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I’ve got a U-mask (the ones the F1 teams wear). Haven’t trained in it yet but the filter holds it out from your nose and mouth (still fits tightly around the edges) so I think it will be good for training. It seemed a bit expensive but it claims the filter lasts for up to 200 hours and it has the same protection as medical grade masks. It is certainly more comfortable that the cotton ones I was wearing - largely because it’s not pressing against my mouth when I try to inhale.

Masks with filters are strictly forbidden in any public place in many countries as the protect the one who wears them and spread the virus around. Even if it is legal where you are, it is dangerous to everyone around you.

• claireychn074
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »

Masks with filters are strictly forbidden in any public place in many countries as the protect the one who wears them and spread the virus around. Even if it is legal where you are, it is dangerous to everyone around you.

Sorry I should have clarified - it’s an internal filter, a bit like a sponge. Not the filter which jets out air! So instead of a single layer of fabric you have the internal layer and then the outside layer, and the internal layer is supposed to be medical standard.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Appreciate everyone’s input thanks, gonna give a try one made from Kitsbow.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Lol I can’t imagine attempting to work out in a mask. I started building a home gym LONG before covid started and I’m thrilled that I made that decision. Best of luck to anyone trying to work out with the restrictions.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I wear a cotton mask while I exercise. It doesn't bother me, I can still breathe, I haven't felt dizzy or anything of the sorts. YMMV.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Lol I can’t imagine attempting to work out in a mask. I started building a home gym LONG before covid started and I’m thrilled that I made that decision. Best of luck to anyone trying to work out with the restrictions.

Ya, I don't even like walking from my car to the store wearing a mask. (But I do it anyway.) This is me after shopping:

Airgasm.jpg
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried several different masks since my gym opened in June. The surgical ones I didn’t like working out in. It collects sweat and breathing wasn’t easy. I got the Under Armor one as a gift & was highly disappointed. It’s very thick. Your face heats up and sweats. It’s like wearing a padded bra on your face. I got cloth ones from Target.
    Two for $4.99, they are the best ones. Breathing is fine. Doesn’t collect sweat. You can hand wash and it drys fast.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we are not required to wear a mask while working out, thank goodness. we have to wear one when NOT working out, entering and leaving building, etc, but not while active.

so few people are in my gym these days, it seems rather silly alotgether. If i see one other person in another area while I am there, I do a double take.
  • C_au365
    C_au365 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We have to wear masks here, I prefer running in the disposable medical masks. I've found they are the lightest and easiest to run in!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a mask to the gym. There are only 2 of us in there, and I already work with her 5 days a week. We lift for about 30 min and don't share equipment and stay in our own space. I also run outside without a mask. I can do enough at home to avoid working out with a mask issue if need be.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I know it seems like it would be hard but I've ran with a cloth mask on....got some weird looks but it was back during the actual 'shelter in place' orders and the park near me looked like the Gym in January...if ya know what I mean, so I chose to wear one. I could definitely tell I had to work a bit harder to breath...but it didn't really have a significant effect on my heart rate or my pace/distance. So it isn't as bad as you think! =D
  • claireychn074
    Options
    Exercising with a face cover is not actually that bad. I’ve done it for years( I’ve got asthma which kicks in with cold air and hay fever), so I’ve worn neck gaiters / masks when jogging. Once you get used to it it’s fine, and actually I find it more comfortable than some sports bras 🤣