TARGET 100 - HEALTHY LIVING PLAN

Options
So I know that it's calories in vs calories out and it should be simply to just eat less, exercise more.

But I PREFER to follow a plan that says do this now, do this then.

But I was just reading a book online today called THE TARGET 100 -- it seems like a really simple list of daily and weekly goals that will eventually over time (no quick fix) will help you be healthier in weight, body, mind, eating, etc.

-- Eat 100 grams of carbs a day (or less)
-- Drink 100 ounces of water daily (helps with hunger)
-- 100 minutes of exercise weekly (broken up however you want)
-- 100 minutes of movement a week (gardening, walking, cleaning, playing outside, etc)
-- 100 minutes of stress relief weekly (journaling, meditation, bubble baths, reading quietly)
-- 100 minutes of extra sleep weekly (going to bed 15 minutes earlier each night)

I kinda like it - seems like easy small steps that could help build better habits eventually.

Replies

• Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Started today....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,981 Member
    Options
    That does sound like a fun easy starting point. Good luck. :)
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Doesn’t sound harmful.
    I do question the 100 grams of carbs and 100 minutes of weekly exercise.
    Re the carbs — I just don’t understand why they’d focus on carbs. Carbs are not bad for you, they just have a bad reputation.
    Re the exercise — 100 minutes in a week doesn’t seem like enough.
    Everyone has to start with their own journey. If this works for you and you generate some good habits, then great.
    Take care,
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    tgillies003 -- I think it's a good starting point.

Right now I do ZERO minutes of exercise. I also do ZERO minutes of movement.

I wake up - go to work and sit for 8 hours. Then I go home and sit in front of a tv for 7 hours. Then sleep and go back to work then next day.

Not sure on the carbs - maybe help jump start weight loss - not sure.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Well going from zero to 200 minutes a week of activity will be challenging. Clearly, you won’t be able to tell yourself you don’t have time because you have 7 hours a day of tv watching available. If you start with replacing 1 hour of that tv watching with something g else — walking is always a good starting point — then you’ll have 420 minutes of walking in your week.

When I started exercising 3.5 years ago, I started slowly. I do nearly all my exercise at home:
    - daily walk
    - healing yoga with Deborah Devine
    - Padma yoga
    - Beachbody programs:
    - PIYO
    - Brazil Butt Lift
    - 21 day fix
    - 21 day fix real time
    - 21 day fix real time extreme

I had an injury earlier in the summer. I’m currently repeating 21 day fix real time.

I’m currently doing 30 to 60 minutes of exercise everyday and a daily 60 minute walk. Of course, they are rest days in there, so daily really means 5 to 6 days per week.

Good luck
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    tgillies003 -- I think it's a good starting point.

Right now I do ZERO minutes of exercise. I also do ZERO minutes of movement.

I wake up - go to work and sit for 8 hours. Then I go home and sit in front of a tv for 7 hours. Then sleep and go back to work then next day.

Not sure on the carbs - maybe help jump start weight loss - not sure.

Yesterday I got 88 minutes of exercise while watching TV :)

I have knee, hip, and elbow issues. Just saw physical therapists for this. This will be the last in-person appointment I can get for at least a month, so I have decided to be disciplined about doing my exercises. I think it's a ridiculous amount to have to do per day, but since I'm unemployed, I have no excuse. I slept poorly the night before, but forced myself to start, and since I was watching something I enjoyed, was able to get through all my exercises, plus some yoga warmups and foam rolling.

Lots of times when I don't feel motivated to exercise I tell myself to just do 10 minutes and if I need to stop, I can. I never have, but it makes it a lot easier mentally to start.

I agree that going from zero to 200 minutes a week of activity could be challenging. Do start slow. And be careful with your knees.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What I like about that program is for the most part you get to say Yes instead of No to things. Probably the only thing I would adjust would be to get 100g of protein per day, rather than cutting carbs odd specifically at 100g, simply on the spirit of saying Yes. The intent behind that is to get your carbs focused on fruits and veggies rather than the more snacky types.

Even with the carb limitation, there's nothing unsound about that approach, and even if you don't lose a ton of weight following it, you are adding in a lot of good habits.