How can I eat less naturally?

Replies

• Looks like ya gotta throw your roommate into mount doom. Seems like the source really.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    Right, so I've looked at your diary before, I've looked at your previous posts and I'm going to be a little bit brutish here than I was last time.

No one is going to lose the weight for you. It's not your roomate's fault you ate some of their food. It's not your friends' fault you ate too much cake. It's yours. Take responsibility for your mouth.

Now, your calorie goal is massively unrealistic. You're going over by around 500-700kcals almost every day. There's no point setting a goal if you're not even close to hitting it. Be less aggressive with your goals and then hit them. Looking over your days it looks like classic binge and restrict cycle.

Looking back at your diary further, your baseline calorie goal seems to change almost every single week, why is that? (yes I am accounting for added exercise). Even with it up and down all over the place you hit your target most days. Now you're just all over the place. Were you hungry every day then? I mean, your logging isn't very good at all (sorry harsh truth), so I'm assuming you weren't losing weight and decided to cut it further, but there's no point cutting it further if you're not going to stick to it.

You want to feel fuller? Most people find vegetables and fibre filling. Your diary is full of sandwiches and bagles, buns and baked good, but there's so little actual vegetables in it. I don't mean a pre-prepared salad, I mean actual vegetables; carrots, broccoli, peas, corn, asparagus, green beans, cabbage, peppers, onions etc. Vegetables are bulky, and generally have a low calorie density.

To be fair, if the OP hates vegetables, that won’t work for them. There are VERY few veggies that I eat, but I try to add them in (at least during the work week) to help with my nervous eating habits.

That said, you can have all the baked goods you want IF you stay within a deficit. I know I don’t have 6 hrs a day in which to burn enough calories to be able to eat all the baked goods that I want though, so I’m assuming the OP doesn’t either.

Yes, it is personal responsibility and yes, only YOU can control what YOU eat. Personally, I struggle with the veggies as I eat like a 5 year old... SO I need to find some workarounds in order to stick to a calorie deficit.

I am super envious of the people who actually enjoy eating veggies and wish I could be more like them. 😊
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I am super envious of the people who actually enjoy eating veggies and wish I could be more like them. 😊

Just want to let you know that I went from eating zero vegetables (like, picking onion and tomato pieces of out bolognese) to being a vegetable loving vegetarian (I don’t eat pretend-meat products but do eat things like tofu and seitan) over the last 12 years.

It is possible to learn to love veggies, but it’s something I had to commit to and make a priority. I didn’t just wake up one morning and not gag at the thought of a raw tomato (I still only eat that in specific conditions).
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Wow what a loaded question here. As previously mentioned, find meals you love that are loaded with veggies. I personally do well with chilis, sheet pan dinners, and wraps where the wrap is collard greens ;)
  • lilharumaki
    lilharumaki Posts: 112 Member
    I’m going to start doing better with my eating and logging, I feel inspired! In that case, does anyone know an easy way to make curried cauliflower? It’s one of my favorite veggie dishes but admittedly I am not too good a cook so a lot of these involved healthy recipes I’m too scared to try. >.>
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius / 400 degrees F.

1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dried chilli flakes
    1 tsp turmeric
    2 tbsp tomato puree (my MFP recipe shows I used 62g so that was probably 2 tbsp)
    1 cauliflower (when I last made this recipe I had 630g)
    1 large red onion (or a brown onion - approx 200g), chopped

Chop the cauli into small florets / pieces.
    Chop the onion - I cut it in half, cut each half crossways to give slices, then cut those slices in half.

Mix everything together.

Add to an oven dish and bake for about half an hour. I usually stir it all half way through baking.

For me, this makes 6 servings so I bag 5 portions up and freeze them.
  • lilharumaki
    lilharumaki Posts: 112 Member

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp turmeric
    2 tbsp tomato puree (my MFP recipe shows I used 62g so that was probably 2 tbsp)

Chop the onion - I cut it in half, cut each half crossways to give slices, then cut those slices in half.

Mix everything together.

Add to an oven dish and bake for about half an hour. I usually stir it all half way through baking.

Thank you!!! Screenshotted! 📸 Definitely going to give this a try, thank you for sharing! I’ll let you know how my first cooking escapade goes haha.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    Right, so I've looked at your diary before, I've looked at your previous posts and I'm going to be a little bit brutish here than I was last time.

No one is going to lose the weight for you. It's not your roomate's fault you ate some of their food. It's not your friends' fault you ate too much cake. It's yours. Take responsibility for your mouth.

Now, your calorie goal is massively unrealistic. You're going over by around 500-700kcals almost every day. There's no point setting a goal if you're not even close to hitting it. Be less aggressive with your goals and then hit them. Looking over your days it looks like classic binge and restrict cycle.

Looking back at your diary further, your baseline calorie goal seems to change almost every single week, why is that? (yes I am accounting for added exercise). Even with it up and down all over the place you hit your target most days. Now you're just all over the place. Were you hungry every day then? I mean, your logging isn't very good at all (sorry harsh truth), so I'm assuming you weren't losing weight and decided to cut it further, but there's no point cutting it further if you're not going to stick to it.

You want to feel fuller? Most people find vegetables and fibre filling. Your diary is full of sandwiches and bagles, buns and baked good, but there's so little actual vegetables in it. I don't mean a pre-prepared salad, I mean actual vegetables; carrots, broccoli, peas, corn, asparagus, green beans, cabbage, peppers, onions etc. Vegetables are bulky, and generally have a low calorie density.

I apologize with the roommate part in my original post- I wasn’t trying to say it was their fault. I know that ultimately what I eat is my responsibility. I was just bringing up what had happened the last two days to inspire me making this post.

And I know my logging hasn’t been very good or consistent thus far. I am new at this, and it has been a struggle. I have also been so busy with medical school that I have gotten lazy on pre-preparing my meals and often buy things while at work, so I need to get better at that too.

I do like vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, and kale. It’s more I guess a battle of making sure I have these available to me so that I can make better choices when I am at work and when I come home.

I’m sorry if I angered you in any way, but I appreciate you taking the time to answer post. I know that I’m not very good at this yet. I am trying to undo years of disordered eating and I am doing the best I can, and that’s all I can do.

I'd reframe making sure you have veggies on hand from "battle" to "creating habit" :)

When I moved in with my OH and took over the food shopping, I didn't have milk on my radar at first, as I don't drink it. I bought a white board for the frig and asked him to add foods to it as he ran low of things he eats but I don't. This gets turned into my shopping list.

For fiber, I love berries. I always have frozen berries in the freezer. A common bed time snack for me is 80 g of berries with 114 g of low fat vanilla Greek yogurt. Sure, it's not ice cream, but it does hit the spot and I find it a LOT more filling.

Also for fiber, I try to have black beans a few times per week, and to make it more convenient I just use canned chili beans, which I find acceptable straight out of the can - no additions needed. When I'm in the mood for something more elaborate, I'll make the America's Test Kitchen Cuban Rice & Beans. I find this VERY filling, a good source of fiber, and it freezes well, which is good as it makes a huge amount.

Speaking of freezing, this is another good way to make sure you always have a variety of filling prepared foods on hand. Soups and stews freeze very well. If you don't have enough freezer space, consider investing in a dorm frig sized freezer - we got a 3.0 cu. ft. upright freezer from Home Depot for $163 that works great for us.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp turmeric

Mix everything together.

Thank you!!! Screenshotted! 📸 Definitely going to give this a try, thank you for sharing! I’ll let you know how my first cooking escapade goes haha.

For inspiration, I subscribe to the allrecipes.com recipes by email. These are usually easy, and sometimes there are videos. I particularly like video and recipes by Chef John, who you can also see on his site:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com
  • Dogmom1978

Just want to let you know that I went from eating zero vegetables (like, picking onion and tomato pieces of out bolognese) to being a vegetable loving vegetarian (I don’t eat pretend-meat products but do eat things like tofu and seitan) over the last 12 years.

It is possible to learn to love veggies, but it’s something I had to commit to and make a priority. I didn’t just wake up one morning and not gag at the thought of a raw tomato (I still only eat that in specific conditions).

Raw tomatoes are one of the only veggies (or is it considered a fruit?) that I like. I also like cucumbers, carrots and spinach. That is the entire list of veggies that I eat though lol
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member

Raw tomatoes are one of the only veggies (or is it considered a fruit?) that I like. I also like cucumbers, carrots and spinach. That is the entire list of veggies that I eat though lol

You know, that list will make a decent dinner salad topped with low cal dressing and your protein of choice. That has been my easy/lazy solution for the last 4 months and I'm at 35 pounds lost. Calorie counting all the way, of course. Get chopping 😁
  • Dogmom1978

You know, that list will make a decent dinner salad topped with low cal dressing and your protein of choice. That has been my easy/lazy solution for the last 4 months and I'm at 35 pounds lost. Calorie counting all the way, of course. Get chopping 😁

Lol, I add chicken and salad dressing (measured of course) and have it for lunch or a snack. 😊
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Look up the idea of volumetrics - some food has high water content and fills your stomach up. Apples are good in relation to this. So try eating 3-4 apples a day and see how that goes.

There's a list somewhere of how appetite suppressing a food is, compared to its energy value. See if you can find that.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp turmeric

Mix everything together.

Except I did this from memory and I now have the recipe in front of me. I've missed a step and an ingredient.

Chop the cauli and the onions.
    Boil a large pan of water. Add the cauli and cook for 3-4 mins. Drain it.
    Mix the seasoning ingredients mentioned before AND 2tbsp oil in a bowl (or do it straight in your oven dish if you want less to wash up). The recipe says sunflower oil, I use vegetable oil.
    Also, according to the recipe, it's 4tbsp tomato paste not 2tbsp (which makes sense as 1tbsp is probably 15g)
    Add the cauli to your oven dish. Add the onions.
    Add the paste to the veg (if you mixed the seasoning in a separate bowl).
    Stir, to coat the veg with the tomato/spicy seasoning.
    Roast for 30-40 mins until golden. Check it after 20mins and give it a stir.

The recipe says it serves 4 but, as I said, for me it's 6 portions. I use it as a side, either with a meat curry dish and a small amount of rice or with some grilled chicken breast but you could have it in a wrap or on a bigger bed of rice for a main course.