Is your family annoying about weightloss

Options
cyaneverfat
cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
They
-think you have to eat like 1200 calories a day
-don't believe you should eat any exercise calories back (even if you burn like 2000 extra calories that day)
-have good and bad foods
-don't think you should eat any treats
-watch you very closely
-comment on everything you do
-think fast weightloss is better
-don't realise you lose weight by eating less and moving more, not from banning certain foods

I guess it's my fault, because whenever I try to lose weight, I have trouble keeping it to myself because I get excited.

Replies

• cyaneverfat
    Options
    Loosing weight in general it’s hard. They’re always going to have something to say about it. When they see your results they’ll ask how you did it

Then rubbish me, tell me why I'm wrong and tell me what would work for them if they bothered doing it
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are influenced by the high profile fast results programmes like Weightwatchers or certain diets, and that's why a lot of people think it is very hard to lose weight, foods are good or bad, and you have to severely restrict yourself to succeed.

The reality of a lifestyle change, slow progress, slow weight loss, something sustainable over the long term... it's not as exciting, so some people won't really get it or won't show as much interest until you've lost a lot of weight. Then they're like "woah, how can I do that in 2 weeks?!" :D
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are influenced by the high profile fast results programmes like Weightwatchers or certain diets, and that's why a lot of people think it is very hard to lose weight, foods are good or bad, and you have to severely restrict yourself to succeed.

I think the only good thing about Weight Watchers, from when I did it was that I was eating so much less, that my stomach couldn't hold as much food so I didn't get as hungry. The first few weeks were difficult though. At least when I first did it, they mostly did calorie counting.

Now you are heavily discouraged from eating your exercise calories back. Ugh
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Then they're like "woah, how can I do that in 2 weeks?!" :D

Haha, true
  • spyro88
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Yeh, just slightly annoying because I try to not let it sink in.
    Most of the time it revolves around 'you don't need to lose anymore weight, here have some candy' type of mentality. :neutral:
    The way so many people in my family, show love is through food. I guess it stems back to the way we were brought up. Big dinners, desserts, etc.

Yup, we have this in my family too. My mum serves gigantic portions, especially to my brothers (apparently if you're male you need twice as much food :D )

Over the last year or so, my brothers (early 20's) have become much more health aware and although not overweight they've changed their diets and lifestyles a lot and become much leaner and fitter as a result. My mum has found it hard adjusting to giving them smaller portions that they ask for and less meat. Doesn't help that they have huge plates so an average size portion looks very small on them!

It is a very difficult thing to balance - as you say, many people show love through food and that is also really great! So it's just about politely balancing that with health needs.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for me - I'm kind of the trend setting in my family when it comes to this.
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    My mom is starting keto and is saying no more junk food/fast food. Should be interesting to watch.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It's not just family it's anybody. When I was in high school and shortly after I had an issue keeping weight on because of my activity level. No matter how much junk I would eat, my body fat percentage was really low and my family would give me garbage for it. In my mid-twenties I stopped all activity and gained weight but then felt uncomfortable in my own skin so when I start to drop down my family was on my case. It was so discouraging that I stopped trying to lose weight until recently. I thought telling my co-workers instead of my family about my journey change would be different but I'm getting the same backlash. My favorite is when I tell somebody I can't have something it obviously it's because of my diet change. Couldn't be for any other reason (allergic, overly greasy, e tc)..
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot like a parrot, always having to repeat myself to the critics.
    The fat didn't arrive overnight and it wont go overnight either....Weight loss is a long term commitment!
  • spyro88
    Options
    By telling them about your weight loss plan, you have made it their business. I didn't tell anyone when I decided to lose weight, so it made it a lot harder for anyone to comment. Why open the door?

Lol, this is a really good point!

I haven't actually mentioned anything to my family this time. Only my partner and one or two friends who I know will support me in a positive way. I'm getting any other support I need on here!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think when it was people I didn't see that often, I didn't care what everyone was thinking. But now I have a boyfriend who has never had a weight problem, and sometimes we have some tension because his advice is often misguided from things he has heard or read.

When I am not getting the results I want and I complain about it, these are some of his responses:

-Maybe you should try working out for a couple hours everyday, you would shred the weight then. (I workout for 40 minutes 4 times a week already lol)

-I bet if you quit drinking coffee, you would lose. (I drink maybe 120 calories a day in creamer with my coffee.)

-Do you think it's just genetics and that you were just meant to be this size?

-Do you want to bake some cookies?! Do you want me to bring home brownies?! Me: No, I don't need that. Him: Good, I'm just testing your willpower.

Ohhhh booo. He is sweet and supportive-- just clueless on weight-loss stuff.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think also that people comment on my stuff so much because I tend to be so open. Weight loss weighs on my mind a lot, and when something is working... I get really excited and talk about it. So I think people feel like they can comment on it all the time, because I probably comment on it all the time.
  • chess_on_a_journey
    Options
    Yes my family does this all the time. In the past I have told them I'm on a weight loss journey and there was always something being said. If I didn't want to eat a certain thing it was, "oh I think I'm better and I hope you keep if off. " Super unnecessary. But, this time I have not mentioned it to anyone outside of my boyfriend and mom who are very supportive. I don't need the negativity or comments pertaining to what I am eating. I try not to let it bother me so much anymore if someone still decides to make a comment.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm very fortunate to not have any family members who are ever mean, rude, or intrusive about anything related to weight loss, but they definitely have fallen into some misinformation traps. Husband and I are in this together this time, both of us looking to lose about 40 lbs. I'm eating 1300-1500 cals a day, he's eating what I'm eating plus a protein bar and an extra snack because a 6'0" male needs more food than a 5'5" female.

Him: I'm eating too much. My metabolism is too slow. LOOK I'M GAINING WEIGHT.
    Me: You lost 18 lbs of sweat in one football practice in high school. You don't have water weight fluctuations, you have full-on tides. It's been 2 weeks. You don't know what your weight is doing.
    Him: Ok I lost five pounds today but I'm not gonna buy protein bars this week.
    Me: Do you like having muscle? Shut up and eat the dang protein bar.

And then there's my mom.
    Her: I'm doing keto!
    Also her: *starts eating a Subway sandwich with 36 carbs in bread alone*
    Me: *visible confusion*
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've never told my family I'm losing weight, because I'm sure they would start full-on feeding me junk food or something if I told them, so I just have to slowly reduce the amount of food I eat each meal..