Plateau

Options
I seem to have hit a plateau. I can't seem to get below 224. I have lost 20 pounds thus far. I think its my carb intake and i don't know how to cut it down. This is where i tend to give up because i don't see any results. HELP

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost weight?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 20 lbs!

Just taking a quick peek at your diary, and you have a lot of generic entries with exact rounded volume measurements (1 cup of this, 1/2 cup of that) and not weighing anything in grams. Most of the time when folks are struggling with weight loss it comes back to tightening up on logging. Are you weighing your foods?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Congrats on the 20 pounds gone.

When did you start - meaning when did you weigh 224?
    When did you reach your current weight of 204?

How many calories per day are you eating? Are you using a food scale? Do you log everything you put in your mouth? Cooking oils, condiments, sauces, beverages? Your log has some really low days which makes me wonder if you're in the habit of not logging some things.

The simplest way to cut down carbs (if eating too many carbs means you are eating too many calories, then this could factor into stalled weight loss) is to have smaller servings of high-calorie sides. And increase the quantity of low calorie foods to still feel full. Such as if you normally have a large serving of rice with dinner, have a medium serving instead (log based on weight, not terms like medium or large). The key point: have less of it. Have more veggies instead.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    We don't have a lot to go on with this post.
    How long have you been dieting?
    How much are you eating?
    What are you eating?
    How much are you drinking?
    How much are you exercising?
    What is your TDEE?
    How long have you been the same weight?

A bunch of information is missing to begin to help you.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I was on a plateau for several weeks and increased my carbs and reduced my fat intake so that both were within the reocmmended range (protein was already there). Now I seem to be losing again. It is different for everyone though: you will need to find what change works for you. (I started out by reducing carbs but have discovered that the low carb approach definitely does not work for me.)
  • donnab19601
    donnab19601 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am using a food scale........i am keeping my portions in the recommended amounts.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am using a food scale........i am keeping my portions in the recommended amounts.

Typically when using a food scale we enter in grams. 1 cup... are you SURE it’s 1 cup? Did you weigh it? Do you even know what it was supposed to weigh? That’s the kind of generic entry that makes people suspect you may not be weighing EVERYTHING. Are you checking that the mfp information for each food is correct?

• nanastaci2020
    Options
    About weighing and cups for solid food.

The 8 oz = 1 cup is a rule only relevant for fluid measure. 8 fluid oz = 1 cup. 8 solid ounces does not equal one cup. Using cups for solid food gets VERY confusing. Using the same words when they mean different things (solid vs liquid) is bound to lead to errors in logging. Using cups & spoons works with liquids because a liquid fills in 100% of the space, thus you can measure using volume. This is not true with solids. When you pour a solid into a cup, the particles don't fit together perfectly so there is air in the cup also. Meaning the amount of solid food in the cup is not based on total volume.

SO... the way to improve logging accuracy is to go with grams. There is no confusion with grams and they are more precise as they are a smaller unit of measure. In the US food labels tend to show multiple bits of information. Such as the shredded cheese package will say 1 serving = 1/4 cup = 28g. If I put 18g shredded cheese on top of my chili, I log it. Done. I don't have to estimate how much of a cup I used.

Track everything you consume, by weight, and eat in the calorie range for .5-1.5 pounds loss rate per week, depending on what is best for your size & activity level. The site does let you choose 2 pounds but that is often too aggressive for a female. Note: if you get a 1200 daily calorie goal, then you have probably bottomed out. Try a less aggressive loss rate.

And above all else have patience. Weight is lost over time. Do you weight less now than 30 days ago? If so, even if only a small amount less, you're making progress.
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    Ps-you did not answer about how long since you've seen a loss on the scales. So I'll repeat my least line again:

And above all else have patience. Weight is lost over time. Do you weight less now than 30 days ago? If so, even if only a small amount less, you're making progress. If you weigh the same or more, then your logging accuracy needs to improve.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

The 8 oz = 1 cup is a rule only relevant for fluid measure. 8 fluid oz = 1 cup. 8 solid ounces does not equal one cup. Using cups for solid food gets VERY confusing. Using the same words when they mean different things (solid vs liquid) is bound to lead to errors in logging. Using cups & spoons works with liquids because a liquid fills in 100% of the space, thus you can measure using volume. This is not true with solids. When you pour a solid into a cup, the particles don't fit together perfectly so there is air in the cup also. Meaning the amount of solid food in the cup is not based on total volume.

SO... the way to improve logging accuracy is to go with grams. There is no confusion with grams and they are more precise as they are a smaller unit of measure. In the US food labels tend to show multiple bits of information. Such as the shredded cheese package will say 1 serving = 1/4 cup = 28g. If I put 18g shredded cheese on top of my chili, I log it. Done. I don't have to estimate how much of a cup I used.

Track everything you consume, by weight, and eat in the calorie range for .5-1.5 pounds loss rate per week, depending on what is best for your size & activity level. The site does let you choose 2 pounds but that is often too aggressive for a female. Note: if you get a 1200 daily calorie goal, then you have probably bottomed out. Try a less aggressive loss rate.

And above all else have patience. Weight is lost over time. Do you weight less now than 30 days ago? If so, even if only a small amount less, you're making progress.

If you're like me and you bought a cheap scale that doesn't go grams, you can convert to ounces easily on google but for reference, 28 grams is 1 oz.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    BahstenB10 wrote: »

If you're like me and you bought a cheap scale that doesn't go grams, you can convert to ounces easily on google but for reference, 28 grams is 1 oz.

How cheap was your scale? I got one at Walmart that does ounces and grams for $15..... Seems easier to just shop around for a cheap one that does both 😜
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    BahstenB10 wrote: »

And this will lead to inaccuracy unless the scale gives ounces in decimals. 1 ounce = 28.35 grams. If a scale only shows ounces and rounds to the nearest 1 ounce:

1 ounce would be somewhere from 14-42 grams
    2 ounces would be somewhere from 43-70 grams
    4 ounces would be somewhere from 71-96 grams

Pretty much there is a +/- .5 ounce lost or gained with rounding ounces, and for calorie dense items: that can add up. And this is why grams are more precise. Rounding differences to 28 vs 29 grams are minute but rounding off 1 vs 2 ounces is significant.

If your scale shows decimals like 1.4 (better than whole numbers) or 1.47 (more precise and comparable to grams IMO) that is better.

NM I read this wrong. I am an idiot.
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    This is my current kitchen scale. $22.99 from Amazon, shows grams & ounces/pounds and it has a max weight of 15kg. Which means it can hold my heaviest casserole dishes + food inside them and still give me a reading. It works by rechargeable USB or 2 AA batteries. I like being able to recharge it. Because things tend to run out of batteries at times when you cannot find them anywhere in the house!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZKBSDJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? I weigh myself daily and enter it into a tracking app. Over the last year, I've gotten to know my weight loss patterns and it really helps keep me from getting frustrated. For instance, I tend to lose for a little while, then plateau for a while (sometimes for 2+ weeks), then I'll suddenly drop again. I've never quite figured out any consistency to it; it doesn't seem related to my period, activity levels, diet, or anything else.

Some people lose steadily, some are more "stair steppers" (my overall loss is ~. 5 lbs a week, that's because last week and the week before was almost none, this week was 1.5). Knowing which you are could help when you have moments like this.