HCG Diet - safe or mad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    the HCG actually doesn't do anything, you lose weight due to restricting calories

in case you were wondering...

Stein et al Ineffectiv­eness of human chorionic gonadotrop­in in weight reduction: a double-bli­nd study American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 29, 940-948

"HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiven­ess of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction"

Lijesen et al The effect of human chorionic gonadotrop­in (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-b­ased meta-analy­sis Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):­237-43

"there is no scientific evidence that hCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-los­s of fat-redist­ribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being­.""

also see; JAMA 236:2495–2­497, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948­, 1976, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234­, 1963, S Afr Med J. 1990 Feb 17;77(4):1­85-9, West Journal of Medicine 127:461–46­3, 1977, Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-15­5, 1977
  • desistiny10
    Options
    I have done the HCG Diet...and it works GREAT. I lost 2 pounds a day for 1 abd a half weeks and then a half a pound after that for the rest of the time....BUT and that is a BIG BUT it is REALLY UNHEALTHY. The thing about the diet is that its a PLACEBO effect...Of course anyone would lose weight eating only 500 calories a day...but AS SOON as the diet is over if you don't stick to an unhealthily low calorie count every day you will gain all the weight back and then some
  • orangealli
    orangealli Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Both my MIL and FIL did this... FIL lost 45 pounds in 30 days, MIL lost about 30 pounds in 30 days.

While both looked healthier in the middle, their faces looked terrible. Drawn, tired, hallow.

they do every fad diet that comes out and the weight always comes back. I have infertility issues, so giving myself the pregnancy hormone just sounds crazy to me.
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have done the HCG Diet...and it works GREAT. I lost 2 pounds a day for 1 abd a half weeks and then a half a pound after that for the rest of the time....BUT and that is a BIG BUT it is REALLY UNHEALTHY. The thing about the diet is that its a PLACEBO effect...Of course anyone would lose weight eating only 500 calories a day...but AS SOON as the diet is over if you don't stick to an unhealthily low calorie count every day you will gain all the weight back and then some
    I was lucky. I improved my health, I didn't have any negative side effects and was able to maintain the weight. I got a personal trainer and went back to eating 1500 to 2000 cals per day. I lost 57lbs.
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I recently red through a blog about this, and after reading through the whole thing, It is not something I would do.
    I would suggest searching for a blog to read through before making a decision.
    I have and that's why I'm worried - it's not my decision, it's the decision of my friend who is seriously looking at doing this.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    mad