Raw chicken calories

Options
The packets of chicken I buy at the supermarket all have their calories written as “per 100g cooked”, but I like to weigh my chicken when it’s raw as when it’s cooked it’s usually in a curry or casserole. Is there a way to know what 100g cooked chicken is as raw? Or calorie counts for raw chicken from UK supermarkets? I’d just like to make sure I’m logging accurately. Thanks all

Replies

• Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    Unless you're eating chicken raw there's no need to weigh it raw. :expressionless:
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The USDA FoodData Central database is super helpful for this kind of thing. I searched it and found this entry:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171077/nutrients

100g of raw boneless skinless chicken breast is 120 calories.

I use this USDA resource To double check any raw meat entries I use in MyFitnessPal. And if you search the MYFITNESSPAL food database using the terminology in this USDA resource, most of the correct food entries are already there.

So you can sears MFP for “ Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw” and you’ll probably find the right food entry with the 120 calories per 100g raw weight.
  • shrinkingweez
    shrinkingweez Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating chicken raw there's no need to weigh it raw. :expressionless:

Because I can’t weigh it cooked as it’s covered in sauces/mixed in with other ingredients so it would be both completely inaccurate and very difficult to do. I assume the caloric value doesn’t change, so if I inputted the correct raw weight and calories then it still holds true for whatever weight the cooked chicken ends up being.
    The USDA FoodData Central database is super helpful for this kind of thing. I searched it and found this entry:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171077/nutrients

100g of raw boneless skinless chicken breast is 120 calories.

I use this USDA resource To double check any raw meat entries I use in MyFitnessPal. And if you search the MYFITNESSPAL food database using the terminology in this USDA resource, most of the correct food entries are already there.

So you can sears MFP for “ Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw” and you’ll probably find the right food entry with the 120 calories per 100g raw weight.

This might be the stupidest question ever, but do you know if that database works for UK food. Like would the breed of chicken or how it’s treated when packing make a difference? Otherwise thank you for the resource.
    You can search for raw chicken in the database - you should find chicken breast raw is just over 100 cals per 100g, thigh is a bit more as more fat.

I am infuriated by the trend in so many supermarkets here in the UK to only have "cooked as instructions" on the pack as I almost never follow the cooking instructions which usually start with a tablespoon of oil. Like you, I often have the meat in a casserole, and I don't usually add any oil or other fat.

Thanks, I will definitely try that. And urgh I know, it drives me up the wall. I got some Colman’s spice mix, and the only info on calories was based on the recipe they suggest. How bloody useless! Just tell us the calories of the thing itself!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    @shrinkingweez i can’t imagine the calories from chicken breast would vary significantly between different breeds of chicken!
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,713 Member
    Options
    I use the USDA database as I don't know of any equivalent resource in the UK. It's very useful and can give you extra information such as iron and calcium, that may not be on the label.
    I agree with @gallicinvasion that I don't think the breed would make any difference but sometimes meat can have added water.