Too much carbs and low protein

I'm really skinny guy with BMI at 16.4 , I want to gain weight and I'm having a 2800 calories per day. But everyday when I track my foods my carbs are at 380g and protein is just 50g or so. What is the ill effect? I do workout with an app that shows how much calories I burn and it's around 120 calories a day. My soul goal is to gain weight.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Center your meals around the protein. Pancakes, cereal or oatmeal for breakfast won't get you there. Eggs, meat, greek yogurt, etc., will.
  • kirsh200
    kirsh200 Posts: 10 Member
    I am asking, will I gain weight of I go with carbs ? What is affect if I gain weight like this?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    If you eat more than your body burns, you will gain weight, no matter how your macros are split. But if you want to gain muscle mass, you will need to eat more protein.

That^^ Protein is the muscle-building macro.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Lifting weights builds muscle not extra calories. If you want to get fat eat more calories. Balance out your meals. Protein doesn't build muscle! Hard work and dedication builds muscle. I'm on a calorie deficiency and I've been able to grow my muscle mass and burn fat at the same time. I eat 75 grams of protein per day. My muscle mass grew by 2% while dropping my fat percentage to 16%. I weigh 230 pounds and I'm 6ft 1. I eat 2000 calories per day and I work out 3 days per week. Protein is overrated and the cure all for weight lifting nerds. Hard work and proper training grows muscle not your stupid chicken and rice and protein milk shakes. Most people will tell you what you want to hear. I WILL tell you what you need to hear.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    sardelsa wrote: »
    sal10851 wrote: »
    Lifting weights builds muscle not extra calories. If you want to get fat eat more calories. Balance out your meals. Protein doesn't build muscle! Hard work and dedication builds muscle. I'm on a calorie deficiency and I've been able to grow my muscle mass and burn fat at the same time. I eat 75 grams of protein per day. My muscle mass grew by 2% while dropping my fat percentage to 16%. I weigh 230 pounds and I'm 6ft 1. I eat 2000 calories per day and I work out 3 days per week. Protein is overrated and the cure all for weight lifting nerds. Hard work and proper training grows muscle not your stupid chicken and rice and protein milk shakes. Most people will tell you what you want to hear. I WILL tell you what you need to hear.

So is this just from your personal experience? Any research to back it up? Do you compete, are you a bodybuilder? How long have you been doing this. OP is underweight and needs to GAIN weight and muscle. He cannot do that without adequate protein.

With a due respect, I am going to trust fitness professionals/bodybuilders and experts and people with more experience when it comes to information on protein intake. Hopefully others including OP does the same.

To add, if anyone wants to know who to trust, its Dr. Stuart Phillips and Dr. Brad Schoenfeld. They are the #1 and 2 protein metabolism researchers in the world.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    kirsh200 wrote: »
    I am asking, will I gain weight of I go with carbs ? What is affect if I gain weight like this?

You will gain weight but it will be almost entirely fat, with no muscle. You may even lose some of the muscle you already have.

Protein is super inportant: can you add some more eggs/meat/yoghurt/tuna etc. to your diet?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

So is this just from your personal experience? Any research to back it up? Do you compete, are you a bodybuilder? How long have you been doing this. OP is underweight and needs to GAIN weight and muscle. He cannot do that without adequate protein.

With a due respect, I am going to trust fitness professionals/bodybuilders and experts and people with more experience when it comes to information on protein intake. Hopefully others including OP does the same.

To add, if anyone wants to know who to trust, its Dr. Stuart Phillips and Dr. Brad Schoenfeld. They are the #1 and 2 protein metabolism researchers in the world.

I’d add bill Campbell and his research lab
    On physique athletes at USF
  • maddberry38
    maddberry38 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, proteins, but also healthy fats add olive oil, ghee, avocado oil, coconut oil when cooking. Add fatty cuts of grass feed beef, full fat yogurt and cheese, avocados ect. Fat's will add calories and so many health benefits, carbs will only make you store a lot of fat. look for YouTube videos, and good luck....
  • psuLemon
    Yes, proteins, but also healthy fats add olive oil, ghee, avocado oil, coconut oil when cooking. Add fatty cuts of grass feed beef, full fat yogurt and cheese, avocados ect. Fat's will add calories and so many health benefits, carbs will only make you store a lot of fat. look for YouTube videos, and good luck....

Semantically, carbs rarely store in adipose. Even in overfeed studies, its really only 3% iirc. Healthy fats are important for hormonal healthy and are beneficial but they aren't magic.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    You gotta eat. Then eat more. You should be sick of eating. When I bulk, I'll eat from 4AM to 9PM and by afternoon, eating is a workout. I have to force food in. It doesnt help that I do it with whole food so it's just a ton of rice, chicken, tuna, pasta, broccoli, sweet potatoes, eggs and 2 gallons of water. It takes work to gain muscle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You gotta eat. Then eat more. You should be sick of eating. When I bulk, I'll eat from 4AM to 9PM and by afternoon, eating is a workout. I have to force food in. It doesnt help that I do it with whole food so it's just a ton of rice, chicken, tuna, pasta, broccoli, sweet potatoes, eggs and 2 gallons of water. It takes work to gain muscle.

Duuude get yourself some ice cream or donuts or something ;)
  • psuLemon

Or at least some pancakes and waffles. They can even be Kodiak pancakes. So protein!!
  • IronIsMyTherapy

Oh, I fit them in, don't worry. I just try to get the majority from whole foods because I'm an "all or nothing" kinda person. I ate 18 Krispy Kremes in one sitting once. Also, I hate cutting so the less fat I've gained in a bulk, the better.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    edited September 2020
    psuLemon wrote: »

Or at least some pancakes and waffles. They can even be Kodiak pancakes. So protein!!

Yeah, I definitely take an IIFYM approach, I'm mainly trying to communicate that when you're trying to gain weight, the eating can be harder than the workout. I hate to say it but if the OP is only getting 50g protein in, he needs to start chugging 1500cal shakes and shoving some chicken in.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

FFS. OP is underweight (ie needs the extra calories) with a diet deficient in protein (which is, in fact, needed for repairing the muscles, especially if the OP is doing activities like weight training that will cause more than sedentary-levels of regular damage).

(Your experience as someone who must be at least double the weight of the OP probably isn't very applicable)

OP: If non-vegan at 2800 calories, it should be pretty easy to up that (to at least the minimal sedentary-recommended amounts). Have eggs and/or yogurt with your breakfast. Some meat with lunch, dinner. Snacks that have some protein (protein/food bars, yogurt, pork rinds if a savory-crunchy snack-type person)./ Bulking-level calories will allow for that juicy steak versus chicken/shrimp/fish, and extra container of greek yogurt, more tasty protein shakes if you like those,...