Carbs are my new friends

Options

Replies

• aab2011
    Options
    You will burn through the carbs that you have then start to burn Muscle and sometimes Bone tissue which is very unhealthy...

I'm sorry but this is just plain misleading. Do a little research into Ketosis and you may find your eyes opened.

There is nothing wrong with a low-carb diet for active people....but it depends on your level of intensity. I have been on a super low-carb Paleo eating plan for the past month (20G of carbs a day).....I heavy lift 3 days a week.....and mountain bike 1-2 time a week. All of my lifts have gone up in weight and my stamina on saturday for a 2-1/2 mountain bike ride in the river valley was the best it has ever been.

Please explain to me how I would be able to do this, feel better than I ever have, and look better than I have in 8 years if my body was eating itself alive?

Your dietitian gave you some false info. Do a little reading and inform yourself rather than trust a "professional"

I completely agree with this. I am on a low carb diet too, I only do 20-35g of carbs a day. Been doing this for 7 weeks and working out pretty hard. I have not lost any muscle just fat, I have this checked once a week. I love my new low carb life style!
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Could you please explain why ketosis is "bad" ?

Its not bad.....................

More misinformation.

I know it's not bad. I wanted to know why they thought it was bad :P
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    You'll probably notice you can think more clearly, too. Carbs are the only nutrient that feeds your brain cells.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/

I'm so glad you posted that........because I was just looking for those. Nice!

You're welcome. The brain runs on glucose - not carbs. And the body can make glucose from protein and fat. To put that simply. My brain actually runs much better now.

The brain can easily and very healthfully6 run on ketones also. Glucose is not the be all and end all.
  • katemanning3
    katemanning3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, my family was hard core atkins followers for many years and my mom was a medical scientist for over 30 years and so I am basing my information off of that. When your body starts running on ketones you are at risk of kidney failure and other systems shutting down in your body. It is one of the things that medical personell in a hospital is supposed to keep an eye or nose out for. That smell is put off as a warning sign, that's why it doesn't smell good. People aren't meant to walk around smelling like that. Sorry but they aren't. Now a low carb diet doesn't mean that you have to get to that point, you just have to adjust your carbs accordingly. This means the more active you are the more carbs your body requires. Why do you think athletes carb load before games/matches and not drop their carbs? I personally followed atkins plan from fourth grade all the way through my senior year. The only time I didn't follow the plan was during swim season in highschool and vollyball season in junior high. I was an athlete, a dancer and a cheerleader and came from a family that knows all the ins and outs of diets could you possibly know. Infact my sister is writing a new book at this time about the diabetic diet.... which by the way, in my opinion is the best. My grandparents on both sides and both my parents have battled diabetes and I have managed to keep my number at a 4.5 for as long as I can remember. I am genetically prone to diabetes just like my parents were. My mom and my brother have rid themselves of it via diet but my dad doesn't have that luxury. He is insolin dependant no matter what.

and on my husband's side, my brother inlaw is a body builder, a long time trainer and plays professional arena football. If I walked into his gym reaking of ketones he would force me to eat a power bar of some kind, but he's definately not opposed to working out till you puke. In fact the majority of his clients throw up daily for the first week, another reason to keep your carbs at a normal level.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Yes, the low carb fad unfortunately gave people a wrong mindset. Complex carbs are your friend and give you the energy to get through your workouts. It does help to eat them in the earlier half of your day.

Feel free to friend me for some positive food for thought daily, Colleen
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    In fact the majority of his clients throw up daily for the first week....

A ringing endorsement if ever I heard one. I'll take a non-vomit-inducing trainer, thanks. :laugh: But then again, I'm not a aiming for professional body building either.
  • fruittart7
    Options
  • fruittart7
    Options
    You'll probably notice you can think more clearly, too. Carbs are the only nutrient that feeds your brain cells.

Actually eggs, nuts, and fish are brain "super-foods"
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Everything in moderation...
  • katemanning3
    katemanning3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    He is a really hard core trainer and doesn't train a ton of beginers because they can't handle it. I don't go to him because we moved away from home but if I was still home i'd go to him. He's the only guy I know that's just under 300 lbs and has less than 7% body fat but can still run a mile in under 7 mins and is faster in a "cage fight" (only does it as a hobby) than most guys half his size.
  • Grokette
    Options
    10 carbs a day is way to low. When you work out and you have so little carbs in your body you will start to smell a very foul smell on your breath and your sweat. that means that you are now in to acid ketosis (mispell) but it's bad. You need anywhere between 30 and 50 carbs a day depending on your activity level.

So now that you can eat carbs dont go too crazy with it. They can get out of control. I would say that if you are working out, you may just want to calorie count instead but also dont deprive your body of calories, when you work out you need to add extra calories back into your diet. The tracker on here does that for you if you add in all of your food and exercise. it will automatically add back the calories you need.

The body produces ketones as the preferred fuel for the heart, outer part of the kidneys, and most areas of the brain.

Ketoacidosis is a life-threatening condition commonly associated with Type 1 diabetes and insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetes. Ketoacidosis is not the same as normal dietary ketosis. The abnormally low level of insulin in the diabetic leads to a toxic build-up of blood glucose, causing excess urination, thirst, and dehydration. The glucose cannot enter the cells to produce energy in the absence of insulin. This causes the body to break down an excessive amount of body fat and muscle tissues for energy. Ketoacidosis is an unhealthy condition in which the body has excessively high glucose and ketone bodies at the same time. The ketoacids lower the pH of the blood to an unhealthy level. The body is very sensitive to changes in blood pH.

The condition is never present in a non diabetic on a carbohydrate-restricted diet in which beneficial ketosis is achieved. Normal ketosis stabilizes blood glucose within a normal range and prevents the breakdown of healthy muscle tissue. The dietary restriction of carbohydrates prevents any build-up of excess glucose. The blood glucose level remains perfectly normal and stable, almost straight line. The body is actually powered normally by ketone bodies while we sleep. Ketosis was common and normal in all primitive people who lived on a high-protein, high-fat and low-carbohydrate diet such as the North American plains Indians and northern Eskimos. Dietary fatty acids and ketone bodies are very healthy fuels for the body in contrast to glucose which causes insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.

Many people falsely believe they cannot or are not losing weight because the ketones drop to a lower level. The Ketostiks, used to measure the ketones in the urine, are no longer showing the purple color on the test strip. However, weight loss continues with or without the ketones being present. The spillage of excess ketones in the urine disappears on the low-carbohydrate diet after the body becomes accustomed to using dietary fats for energy instead of glucose. This usually occurs within a few weeks on the diet. People who normally eat high-carbohydrate meals have been fueling their bodies with glucose and fructose obtained from the carbohydrates. Their cells have had very little experience burning fatty acids for energy. The body uses the glucose first to prevent high levels of glucose in the blood.

The body experiences a new condition when a person goes on the low-carbohydrate diet. The more commonly used glucose fuel is no longer available. The body reacts by dropping the pancreas' production of insulin and increasing the hormone glucagon. The glucagon draws stored fat reserves in the form of triglycerides for use by the cells as the new energy source. However, the cells are slow to react to this new fuel source, and the individual feels weak or lacking energy. The resistance to burning fatty acids for energy can vary greatly among individuals. Some people feel this weakness, but others pick right up and take off with the feeling of greater energy than before.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how oatmeal is slow-digesting. I used to have a big bowl with an apple and I would be shaking like a leaf less than 2 hours later. The fiber thing is so bogus.

Now I have 3 cage-free eggs and 4 pieces of natural uncured bacon and I'm full all day.

Same! I had the EXACT same breakfast nearly every day (yes steel cut! 400+ calories-worth, no less) and was RAVENOUS just two hours later (sometimes less!). Now whole eggs fried in animal fat lasts me until noon or 1pm. Today I just had coffee with whole cream because I wasn't hungry and didn't even think about eating until noon.

Granted, I think that a bowl of oatmeal full of fiber is probably more filling than a bowl of Rice Krispies or something, but more filling than good fat and protein? Not for me, that's for sure!

I have to agree with this. It didn't matter what kind of oatmeal. I tried all kinds. And they both affected me the same way regardless of fiber content - sure it filled my tummy up but not for long. In fact since giving up all grains and keeping any grain carbs out of my system (and most fruit carbs) I don't get the shakes anymore. I can go without eating the entire day and longer and never get the shakes. This only happened when eating grain or fruit carbs every couple of hours. My day is too busy to worry about eating every 2-3 hours. There is just no need for this kind of stress just from food - you end up worrying about it all day. The only reason I had to eat every couple of hours is because it was the only way to take the weak shakiness away - and that wasn't hunger - that was a blood sugar crash. Eating something high-carb every few hours just means that your body will be burning sugar (or trying to get it out of the bloodstream by converting it to fat) all day and your body never gets a chance to pull fat from fat stores to use as fuel.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Everything in moderation...

I don't eat fat in moderation at all. It's the one macronutrient I no longer have to track. I eat more my body will burn more (I will actually get restless and hyper and HAVE to do something). When I was even moderate carb I was sleepy all the time and never wanted to move. I would have to force myself to exercise.
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    I figured it wouldn't be long before someone came in to rain on the carb love-fest. Carbs are good for you. Too much is bad. Find the right balance and don't be afraid to eat some whole grains.

Agreed! Why is is always the low-carbers who feel like they need to defend their lifestyle to the death? Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I figured it wouldn't be long before someone came in to rain on the carb love-fest. Carbs are good for you. Too much is bad. Find the right balance and don't be afraid to eat some whole grains.

Agreed! Why is is always the low-carbers who feel like they need to defend their lifestyle to the death? Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me!

Well, to be fair, I believe it started by trying to correct the misinformation that was being tossed around.
  • jmeeej
    Options
    ^^^ this is exactly how it started.

All i was trying to do was help the original poster by telling them that they information they received was not accurate.

........then someone made a comment about low-carb diets.........and then it all snowballed from there
  • Grokette
    Options

Because we get sick and tired of being told what we are doing is soo unhealthy when in fact we are eating healthier than 90% of the population.

Grains, including whole grains are processed - therefore I don't eat them.
  • Grokette
    Options

Because we get sick and tired of being told what we are doing is soo unhealthy when in fact we are eating healthier than 90% of the population.

Grains, including whole grains are processed - therefore I don't eat them.
  • jmeeej
    Options
    At the end of the day, everyone needs to choose what's best for their own health and lifestyle.

Do what you will, and that's just fine........i certainly won't judge anyone for making the choices they make as long as they are informed choices. Making decisions based on false information that some people just blurt out because they feel it's true is not fair to yourself or your body.

Get the right information........then make the RIGHT choice.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

Well, to be fair, I believe it started by trying to correct the misinformation that was being tossed around.

I have a tendency to get a bit defensive. I've done my research and the knowledge I have gained led me to Primal Blueprint. I've tried both ways and the latter was easier, I had faster and better success at it. And I got more than just another 10lbs of fat off my body. I got my health - I've never had that - not even as a child. We have to defend our lifestyle because for some inane reason people think carbs are NEEDED when they AREN'T EVEN NECESSARY. There is no such thing as an essential dietary carbohydrate. The body runs fine without them - maybe even optimally. But the government and grain companies tell us we NEED grains/carbs so we believe and follow them like hmmm...maybe zombies?

This is the first time I have ever been bashed for the lifestyle I follow and only because it goes against the conventional wisdom. And it was my research that got me to where I am. I will not trust the government to tell me what I should be eating. They can't even run this wonderful country properly.

...The primary use of glucose from all carbohydrate food is as fuel, whether burned immediately as it passes by different organs and muscles or whether stored for later use. The brain, red blood cells, and nerve cells prefer glucose as primary fuel (but don’t absolutely require it – they can use ketones). Muscles that are working hard will prefer glucose if it is available, but don’t absolutely require it unless they are working very hard for very long. If it is not burned immediately as fuel, excess glucose will be first stored as glycogen in muscle and liver cells and then, if or when these glycogen storage depots are full, it will be converted to fatty acids and stored in fat cells as fat. The things to remember about carbs and to put into context: Carbs are not used as structural components in the body – they are used only as a form of fuel; glucose in the bloodstream is toxic to humans UNLESS it is being burned immediately as fuel. (For reference, “normal” blood sugar represents only about one teaspoon of glucose dissolved in the entire blood pool in your body). That’s why insulin is so critical to taking it out of the bloodstream and putting it somewhere FAST, like muscle cells or fat cells. Moreover, humans can exist quite easily without ever eating carbs, since the body has several mechanisms for generating glucose from the fat and proteins consumed, as well as from proteins stripped from muscle tissue. For all these reasons, in the PB-style of eating, carbs are lowest priority. Unless your context includes lots of endurance activities (or storing fat) there’s little reason to overdo the carbs (USDA and RDs’ recommendations notwithstanding).