Weight loss/gains....

Options
Am I correct in assuming that 3500 calories is equal to a pound? If you eat 3500 more than you use you gain a pound and if you burn 3500 more than you eat you lose a pound, is this right? I ask because I gained this week. 7.8 pounds gained in one week and if my math is correct, that's 27,300 calories that I ate and didn't burn off. But I didn't eat anywhere NEAR that. I logged everything, accurately. So where did the gain come from? Please help, I am so confused right now that I'm ready to say F*** it and quit.

Replies

• yesenia195p
    yesenia195p Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Water. Sometimes eating too much of the wrong carbs causes anybody to hold water. Drink lots of water (ironically) and for me iced tea helps. I like using crystal light's iced tea. I gained 4 lbs overnight once with water.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where all of the 7.8 pounds came from but some of it could be water weight depending on how much you drank that week....just a thought. :)

dont get yourself down and dont quit, every day is a new day, every week is a new week. buckle down and prove your scale wrong. those 7.8 pounds should be off in no time :)
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well, sorta true. I'm no expert at this but there is a recent study that came out on this issue (http://tinyurl.com/3gtxqcd).

There could be many different things going on-- how much you're eating, how much you're exercising, the type of foods you eat, your sodium intake, medications you're taking, etc. Perhaps you are not eating enough? If you open up your diary or give me some more information on your weight loss plan, I can try to help and others probably can as well. :flowerforyou:
  • Wartz
    Wartz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate scale?
  • sweets2001
    Options
    Could be the sodium in the foods you ate. Sometimes doing a strenuous workout the day before weighing in will show a higher number on the scale.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Your weight can change dramatically from day to day (even hour to hour!) because of what we're eating, what we're drinking, what we're wearing, blah blah. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and weighing in only once a week. I weigh in first thing in the morning on Saturday before I have anything to eat or drink, and after I use the restroom. I think most people do their weigh ins similarly.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate scale?

Ah, could be this too, if you used a different scale this week or something?
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Is your water accurate? Your diary looks good, but since you don't have your sodium showing that could be the problem. If it's high and you're only drinking 5 or so cups of water you may be hanging on to quite a bit.

But whatever you do, don't give up.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    DO NOT QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!

So many things can factor in.... water retention is probably it like theyve said. Watch alcohol, sodium and carb intake. Flush with extra water this week and itll be gone in no time!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i usually find if i have a rough week, that excess weight drops within a couple of days if i behave, eat right, and exercise.

i'm pretty consistent with my exercise, and go to the gym 5 x a week, and if i have a big food / drink weekend, i can easily put on 2kg of the weekend, and that usually drops away before tuesday once i'm back on deck.

keep at it, consistency will usually even things out. if you know you are doing the right thing, your body will eventually fall into line.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am certain that is not a legit 7.8 lbs. Like the other already said, water water and more water... also, if you are working out your muscles can retain water as well...don't quit!!! Good things will come~
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    No one else has said/asked it, so I guess I will, how regular have you been? I know that I've had times that I've been "backed up" and once things cleared up I dropped a few pounds just from that.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No one else has said/asked it, so I guess I will, how regular have you been? I know that I've had times that I've been "backed up" and once things cleared up I dropped a few pounds just from that.

My meds can cause IBS like symptoms where some days I go 2 or 3 times and other times I'll not go at all for days on end. Maybe that was it. Thank you all for the support, advice and ideas.
  • countinonme
    Options
    We're still in this together.
  • Lkszumla
    Lkszumla Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing a lot of exercising, I have had in the past... where you are gaining muscle mass, and not losing right away but not to get discouraged because the muscle in time will burn more calories than your fat will.