How did you unlearn diet culture?

Options
I’m 5 ft 2 at about 156 lbs at the moment. My weight to height ratio puts me in the overweight category.

I’ve been eating between 1200-1300 calories and workout 4-5x a week. This has been going on for about 2-3 months now.

I’ve been reading more into calorie intake because I’m constantly hungry and I absolutely hate it and have read eating less calories than your body needs can have negative long term side effects and can plateau weightloss as well.

However, it’s a little nerve wracking considering to increase my caloric intake when I’ve been losing weight with 1200-1300.

So my question is, did you have to break out of the low calorie = weight loss mentality and if you did and increased your calorie intake, did you start to gain your weight back again?

Bonus question: Was it tough unlearning diet culture to start eating more?

Replies

• dishiznice
    dishiznice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've actually been eating more calories, the more weight that i've lost as i've increased my activity. when i first started out, and for about the first 130-140 lbs that i lost, i was probably eating 1300-1400 calories a day. the last 30-40 i've lost since then, i've been eating closer to 1600-1800 calories a day on average. i've found that my weight loss has slowed on some weeks, but been faster on others. i basically just started re-introducing a few more carbs back in, and letting myself indulge in additional fruits and veggies throughout the day! the weight has come off pretty fast, but i've been able to develop habits that i'm confident i can hold onto for the rest of my life and if i were to ever gain a few lbs back, i know what i would have to do to correct it.
  • slb260
    slb260 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    All this is good to read. I've been following someone who is a "diet culture rebel". They say to never weigh yourself, avoid all people focussed on weight loss, eat everything (when you're hungry), etc. But I know my body is not happy at this weight. I've been on WW, and they level I was at was approx. 1200 calories - way too few. I've read to eat 10 times your body weight in calories. All I know for sure is that I want/need to lose maybe 20 pounds, and I need to figure out the right calorie level to do it.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost in 2-3 months?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Our minds can be very baffling at times. The thoughts they hold onto and refuse to let go of. :/ If you've worked hard and been successful at losing weight, it'd be very difficult to redo things by adding calories, fearing regaining after all the work you've put in. You may end up just losing slower, which sometimes can be a good thing! Whatever you change doesn't have to be set in stone, please remember that. You want to be healthy first, lose weight second. IOW, do it the healthy way.
    If you're constantly hungry, what about trying volume eating? Search the threads, there was a great one for that. Or just upping 100 cals. a day and see where it takes you?
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    I don’t think any of us have enough data to provide feedback yet. She says she’s 5’3”, eats 1200 cals a day, works out 4-5 times a week, and that she’s always hungry.

What we don’t know is if she’s lost any weight, if she’s actually eating 1200 calories, what her TDEE is, and what her food makeup consists of. Before we rush to tell her to “eat more” we might want to understand the variables first.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Looks like you’ve been given plenty of advice on daily calories and what to do/experiment with regarding that. PSA: when I use “you” I use it in the general sense, not as in you personally.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I too am trying to unlearn diet culture. It’s very ubiquitous in our society, so unlearning it will take time. We see bodies projected as “the ideal” way to be, and I think unlearning diet culture is learning to care for our bodies not to get them to look a certain way (that’s a fine goal, but if you’re only goal is to look a certain way because it’s “ideal” then you need to re-evaluate), but to treat them as they deserve to be. I’m trying to learn to move my body and fuel my body because it’s GOOD for it, to care for my body because it does amazing things for me (like my heart, my brain, the very fact all my internal organs operate the way they do), not because diet culture tells me I should look a certain way to be “healthy”. Besides, those behind diet culture I’m sure make a pretty penny of selling all the stuff that exists to make us believe we need to be a certain body type. Unlearning is hard, we are not just physical beings, and unlearning diet culture means unlearning on a mental, emotional, and spiritual level too. Be kind to yourself, fuel your body because it deserves it not because you’ve done an equation which “allows” you more food.

I’m not perfect and fall into the trap LOTS of times. I’m trying to figure out the line of why I want to lose weight and how I can still be body positive. It’s tough, but I’ve taken enough air space for now. So good luck with it all, and remember MFP has a community to support you!
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    Looks like you’ve been given plenty of advice on daily calories and what to do/experiment with regarding that. PSA: when I use “you” I use it in the general sense, not as in you personally.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I too am trying to unlearn diet culture. It’s very ubiquitous in our society, so unlearning it will take time. We see bodies projected as “the ideal” way to be, and I think unlearning diet culture is learning to care for our bodies not to get them to look a certain way (that’s a fine goal, but if you’re only goal is to look a certain way because it’s “ideal” then you need to re-evaluate), but to treat them as they deserve to be. I’m trying to learn to move my body and fuel my body because it’s GOOD for it, to care for my body because it does amazing things for me (like my heart, my brain, the very fact all my internal organs operate the way they do), not because diet culture tells me I should look a certain way to be “healthy”. Besides, those behind diet culture I’m sure make a pretty penny of selling all the stuff that exists to make us believe we need to be a certain body type. Unlearning is hard, we are not just physical beings, and unlearning diet culture means unlearning on a mental, emotional, and spiritual level too. Be kind to yourself, fuel your body because it deserves it not because you’ve done an equation which “allows” you more food.

I’m not perfect and fall into the trap LOTS of times. I’m trying to figure out the line of why I want to lose weight and how I can still be body positive. It’s tough, but I’ve taken enough air space for now. So good luck with it all, and remember MFP has a community to support you!

That’s a beautiful sentiment. I’m here for that 👏🏻