calorie intake

Options
Why does everything have so much sodium in it. What should be the calorie intake for 190# male trying to lose gut and gain lean muscle mass?

Replies

• RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about processed foods? It's honestly why I don't eat that garbage. I have heart issues that run in my family so that's honestly the biggest reason.
    Making things from scratch is not as hard as people make it out to be. I mean a 6-oz piece of chicken cooked in the oven at 350 for 25-30 min while cooking rice or a sweet potato and steaming veggies is not difficult to do.
    190×11 is a good starting point. Adjust where needed. At least 0.7g of protein per lb if working out (so 133g). Adjust where needed and recalculate every 4 weeks
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you exercise and sweat properly you don't have to worry so much on the salt. Avoiding excessive processed foods is easily the best way to cut down on sodium. Salt has no calories but moderation is always the safest practice.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about processed foods? It's honestly why I don't eat that garbage. I have heart issues that run in my family so that's honestly the biggest reason.
    Making things from scratch is not as hard as people make it out to be. I mean a 6-oz piece of chicken cooked in the oven at 350 for 25-30 min while cooking rice or a sweet potato and steaming veggies is not difficult to do.
    190×11 is a good starting point. Adjust where needed. At least 0.7g of protein per lb if working out (so 133g). Adjust where needed and recalculate every 4 weeks

Bolded is a simply awful way to estimate calorie needs. No-one who has access to the internet should use such a simplistic method that ignores gender, exercise, activity, height, age. OP could be a growing teenager doing a very physical job and doing a lot of exercise and 2060cals could be a massive and inappropriate deficit (especially for someone trying to gain muscle while losing fat (recomp)
    (I maintain on over x20 multiplier BTW)

OP - you are on an app/website that estimates your calorie needs taking into account your personal activity, age etc... Use it to get your estimate (which will exclude purposeful exercise which you estimate after the event).
    Or you can use a TDEE calculator such as https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ if you prefer your exercise expenditure to be accounted for that way.

No "everything" doesn't contain a lot of sodium, just some things.
    If you are worried about your sodium intake then read labels and make different food choices.
    Also beware there are many errors in the food database where sodium and salt number get mixed up so verify the entries you select.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,053 Member
    Options
    Dp you have a health condition that requires you to limit sodium? If not, I'd personally put that at a lower priority level than getting the calories dialed in, with a personally satisfying eating routine and overall good nutrition. Yes, fluctuating sodium levels will increase water weight fluctuations - that's just how healthy bodies behave. Unless water retention is reaching dangerous levels for you, it can just be a thing to recognize will happen, and not worry about it. (FWIW: Eating about the same amount of sodium daily, but a high level, is not likely to cause scale weight *fluctuations*. If it's not having health consequences, not an immediate crisis to resolve, IMO.)