New, looking at a long road

Options
Hi there,

I'm (once more) starting a plan of healthy eating (trying to avoid the dreaded D word) and exercising. I'm 42, and have been at least somewhat (20-30lbs) overweight since 9th grade at least. Most of my adulthood, I have been more like 50-100lbs overweight. I have three great boys, but with each pregnancy, I ended up about 20 pounds heavier than I had been.

I have tried losing the weight many (many,many) times before - I usually manage about 20-25 pounds over 8 weeks or so, then I hit a plateau, get sick or extra stressed about something, and give up.

Up until I hit 40, the extra weight was embarassing, and inconvenient (hard to find decent clothes, uncomfortable on planes, etc), but not (apparently) affecting my health. In the last two years, though, my cholesterol has zoomed up, I am (I suspect) flirting with diabetes, and in the last 4 months, I have developed planar fasciitis, and now walking is painful.

So.... I am determined that this time will be the time I stick it out through thick and thin (so to speak) until I am a healthy weight. My goal is 165 (about 106 pounds below where I am starting), which is slightly above the mid-point of what the BMI charts say I should weight (136-184) - which would be about what I weighed in 7th grade.

I am glad to have found this site, and am hoping that talking to all of you will help me make it through the rough spots this time!

-Rachel M

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. What you wrote sounds so much like where I was before I started on my weight loss journey in January. My name is Rachel too btw!! You are most definitely on the right track...MFP has totally made me look at what I was eating..and helped me to get my exercise plan more on track.

I would love it if you would add me as a friend...I will try to motivate you as much as I can. You can do this...it may take a while...but I think if you take it slow you can keep the weight off.

Good luck to you and welcome!
  • debclif
    debclif Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great site! People are very supportive you will love it! Welcome!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Welcome...add me as a friend if you would like!
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love MFP! Add me, if you want to build your support network:)
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The tools and the support you will need are right here. Keep the food diary even if you go over your calorie goal. It may help to make your diary visible so that your MFP friends can offer suggestions. As you have personal success share your experiences and victories with others and encourage others. Ask for help and advice when you need it. Remember that even small steps bring you closer to your goal.