What are your thoughts on natural bodybuilding?

supercpa999
supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
What are your thoughts on natural bodybuilding? Specifically, men’s classic physique contests. Do you think natural bodybuilders are too small or are they attractive.

A link describing is below.

https://ocbonline.com/guidelines-classicphysique.php

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Whether one uses steroids or other enhancers is imperceptible to me. Kinda like people wearing wigs and hair extensions. I can never really tell unless they outright say it.

The look or result is the thing that I would pay attention to. There's a limit to what "looks natural" to me but that could be achieved by someone who is not taking any enhancers. But if we're talking "classic physique" specifically then that's well within my super subjective limits of physical attractiveness.

Ultimately, if a person is happy with how they look and are being followed by an ethical healthcare team then it's none of my business what they want to do with their body.
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    @ythannah
    I agree with you, It seems like there are always unintended consequences when you put artificial things into your body. Personally I would be afraid to disrupt my health and body’s natural processes.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    In general (not specific to particular competitions), I think the use of drug enhancers for muscle/body building is cheating. How can you take pride in the results when you haven't achieved them solely through personal effort and hard work?

I worked with a woman who was into competitive body building for a while and was using steroids. The effect on her personality was not pleasant, ten of her direct reports quit within a year because she was so difficult to deal with. And it was all for nought, she didn't win anything. Her competitors obviously had access to better drugs than she did.

Even if you take steroids, you have to put in the work. It's not magic.

I'm aware of this; however, you get bigger/better results for the same or less work as an unenhanced body builder.

In the case of my coworker, a middle-aged woman brand new to training doesn't go from slightly flabby to extremely (competition level) muscular in six months' time without "help".

Even on steroids, six months is impossible. I have had close personal friends take steroids.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    In general (not specific to particular competitions), I think the use of drug enhancers for muscle/body building is cheating. How can you take pride in the results when you haven't achieved them solely through personal effort and hard work?

I worked with a woman who was into competitive body building for a while and was using steroids. The effect on her personality was not pleasant, ten of her direct reports quit within a year because she was so difficult to deal with. And it was all for nought, she didn't win anything. Her competitors obviously had access to better drugs than she did.

It’s a lot less work; so I would also consider it cheating. Steroids also have a lot of potential health side effects, so don’t seem worth the risks associated.

It's not a lot less work.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

It’s a lot less work; so I would also consider it cheating. Steroids also have a lot of potential health side effects, so don’t seem worth the risks associated.

It's not a lot less work.

Yes, it IS a lot less work. That’s why some people choose to use steroids as they want the short cut. If you had to do just as much work, no one would spend the money on them or risk their health... 🙄
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hate to tell you that the majority of guys on PED's work REALLY HARD and personally give up a lot of their life to focus on muscle building. Pretty shallow to say they don't work hard. You just don't take steroids and become muscular. :#
    Women SHOULDN'T be taking steroids.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I didn't say that they didn't work for their muscle, I said that their results aren't solely due to physical effort. The drugs are called enhancers for a reason.