Need ideas for low impact - begineer workouts?!

Options
So I have tried some workout apps like Sworkit, Nike, 7 Minute Workout, etc and just can't handle them yet.

There is so much getting up and getting down on the ground, things I can't do with zero strength holding my body up, high impact exercises that involve jumping that hurt my feet, etc. They all want me doing planks and burpees and mountain climbers - WTH - I am not there yet.

I need to find something to start with that is more low impact, for super beginners, that isn't pushing me as hard. I just want to MOVE - not exercise hard or be sweating bullets after. Just trying to move and build strength for like 15 minutes more a day.

Any ideas?

Replies

• cinthyaaa_02
    cinthyaaa_02 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mad fit on YouTube has low impact Hiit which is amazing + No jumping
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I am 37 and very out of shape and very obese at over 300lbs. I walk (the hills here are killer), use a total gym system and do what I call Dancearobics (Basically I just move to music I like for x amount of songs generally between 12 and 15 minutes doing a combo of light dance and general light aerobics. ). I wear a heart rate monitor to confirm calories I'm burning. I highly recommend using one.
    I feel these things would work for most people.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/low-impact-cardio

Check this out. This is a good list of stuff just to get you moving. You can take out the lunge on the last one and just do the kick until you're ready to lunge. Same goes with the squat. Work your way up to a full squat and just do what you can in the meantime depth wise even if it is just a slight knee bend into the motion.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You may outgrow them soon but there are lots of seated and/or low impact exercise videos for seniors on youtube. Also, try beginners Tai Chi on youtube.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - keep the ideas coming.

I am biking around neighborhood on my cruiser - doing about 15 minutes right now which as my legs burning like crazy. I can't do any hills yet (unless I get off and walk).

I was walking 15 minutes a day but I think the bike is doing more for heart rate and leg muscles. Ive been sweating a little when I got home.

But I need another 15 minutes of some sort of exercise - figured maybe strength training might be good.

Also worried as the winter is coming here and once the snow is here outdoor biking and walking is going to be harder - thinking maybe an exercise bike for the spare bedroom might be smart.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,713 Member
    Options
    I love Lucy Wyndham-Read, she has hundreds of workouts, a lot of them aimed at beginners, or with two different levels. Lots of short workouts - try her 7 minute routines.

https://www.lwrfitness.com/
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I find BodyFit by Amy to be excellent, and she has a lot of short low impact workouts.

Here is the link to her low impact videos: https://bodyfitbyamy.com/beginner-low-impact-workouts/

I would recommend the 10 Minute Beginner Low Impact Cardio Workout For Fat Loss as a great place to start.

It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9qdpUzu4M.

She has a very supportive facebook page too if you go with one of her programmes.
  • Rannoch3908
    Options
    PERFECT!!!!
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I say this all the time, and I'll say it again because I genuinely love them. Fitnessblender has over 200 free low-impact workouts.

https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos?trainingtype[]=10

I think I like this one

https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/fat-burning-cardio-workout-with-relaxing-cool-down-low-impact-cardio-modifications
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    @fstrickl beat me to it. Fitness Blender on YouTube has a bunch of videos like that. Just check out their channel and search by low impact, beginner, etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    On YouTube:
    Jessica Smith
    Walk at home America
    Jenny Ford marching or basic/beginner routines
    Reps to the rhythm
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Team Body Project offers some magnificent low-impact workouts :)
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    And thank you so much for starting this discussion -- I know I am not the only one who is grateful for and in need of effective low-impact exercise options.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Team Body Project offers some magnificent low-impact workouts :)

I was just going to suggest this. Team body project is great. You can find workouts from beginner to more advanced.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    So I have tried some workout apps like Sworkit, Nike, 7 Minute Workout, etc and just can't handle them yet.

There is so much getting up and getting down on the ground, things I can't do with zero strength holding my body up, high impact exercises that involve jumping that hurt my feet, etc. They all want me doing planks and burpees and mountain climbers - WTH - I am not there yet.

I need to find something to start with that is more low impact, for super beginners, that isn't pushing me as hard. I just want to MOVE - not exercise hard or be sweating bullets after. Just trying to move and build strength for like 15 minutes more a day.

Any ideas?

To be honest, the ability to get up off the ground is what will help keep us out of the nursing home. The video shows a nice "flow" of getting on the ground and getting back up. If you need to at first lean on a chair or low table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E

Good luck.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Walking, yoga, Pilates, some body weight exercises... even high impact exercises can be modified to be low/lower impact. Try a bunch of things until you find one you like!
  • Scetza
    Scetza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the walking with Leslie Sansone Dvd's...you can do a mile 2 mile all the way up to 5 miles ...you can do it at your pace .... I am in love with the walking to her party hit one that includes HIIT ...

There are some free vidoes of her on YouTube as well, so you could try them and see if they work for you.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Walking.

Les Mills On Demand
  • Rannoch3908
    Options
    Love all these ideas - have been walking and biking every day so far.

Want to gain some strength/muscle too so when the pounds fall off there is something to see ;-)

I have never been able to stick with standing in front of a TV or tablet watching and following along to exercises but maybe if they don't have me getting up, then laying down, then up, then laying down and doing a bunch of stuff I can't handle I might do better at sticking with it.

Team Body Project - looks PERFECT but it costs money - boo.
    Wonder if it can be had free somehow.