Gym or home gym.

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,420 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just wanna rant about the people selling exercise equipment right now for crazy high prices since everywhere is sold out. Supply and demand, I get it...but most people are just being ridiculous. $500 for some crappy old bench they got from SEARS in the 90's and they remembered they had it in storage. I wanna smack some of these people. Ok, maybe I'd do the same. Still makes me mad lol

Yeah, I've been looking around for my daughter and equipment I used to sell at Academy (let's call it a 60" barbell with 2 dumbbell handles and 85lbs of 1" cast-iron weights included) is either impossible to find or sold by arsehats online for 3-4 times the pre-covod store price. No thank you.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting everything I want at home. I have amazing cardio equipment -- a C2 rower, an AD Pro (Assault) Bike, a LateralX (a lateral elliptical). When I pay off the LateralX in a few months, I'll likely get a Peloton Tread.

For weights, I have heavy KBs, Bowflex adjustable dumbbells, and just got a Weider Total Gym knockoff for $150 from Walmart (I've used Total Gyms and bought this one for my stepson years ago -- it's better than most of the Total Gyms and for $150 it was a steal). I also have a Plyo Box as well and many, many elastic bands. Got a Stealth Plank Board too for fun.

I would like an Endless Rope Machine but I might settle for a SkiErg down the road. I also need a good weight bench and I agree with @IronIsMyTherapy that benches are being sold ridiculously high. I have the money to get one at the current prices but I refuse. I'll get one when this all settles down and there are 100s of them online used when people go back to gyms.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting everything I want at home. I have amazing cardio equipment -- a C2 rower, an AD Pro (Assault) Bike, a LateralX (a lateral elliptical). When I pay off the LateralX in a few months, I'll likely get a Peloton Tread.

For weights, I have heavy KBs, Bowflex adjustable dumbbells, and just got a Weider Total Gym knockoff for $150 from Walmart (I've used Total Gyms and bought this one for my stepson years ago -- it's better than most of the Total Gyms and for $150 it was a steal). I also have a Plyo Box as well and many, many elastic bands. Got a Stealth Plank Board too for fun.

I would like an Endless Rope Machine but I might settle for a SkiErg down the road. I also need a good weight bench and I agree with @IronIsMyTherapy that benches are being sold ridiculously high. I have the money to get one at the current prices but I refuse. I'll get one when this all settles down and there are 100s of them online used when people go back to gyms.

Exactly. I plan to get a rack, deadlift platform, full set of 5#-125# dumbells and a few other goodies once stock is replenished. I'm not gonna be gouged for some old stuff now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I haven't returned to my big box gym and have decided that I likely won't. For one, I've been nursing an injury since May/June that hasn't let me do a whole lot anyway...couldn't even go for a walk most days up until about 2 weeks ago. But with covid, I'm pretty meh about the whole gym thing...I always thought they were a petri dish of nasty even in the best of times.

My goals and lifestyle overall have changed over the last couple of years as well, with hitting the gym and lifting not really being on the high priority list. Resistance training is important and I do it, but I don't really need to be in the gym for my purposes...bodyweight, resistance bands, and some dumbbells are all I need for the most part at this time. I'd rather spend more time on my bike than commuting back and forth from the gym.

The only exception here is that when I'm off IR I will be going back to my one on one personal training gym once per week. My wife and I go on Friday afternoons and it's just us and our trainer. She and her husband own the gym and they are also really good friends of ours that have been in our covid social circle since the beginning, so we feel pretty good about it...their place is kept spotless and really, if we were comfortable enough to have them over for burgers and a swim we should be comfortable enough to attend a once a week training session.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    I have slowly built a home gym. I bought a squat rack with built on smith machine and cable system, Best investment ever. and you can find treadmills all the time on facebook market and craigslist. I got my Nortictrack for $200, it had 3 miles put on it. The one I got befor that was old but worked until I could afford more, it was $25

I got a commercial life fitness treadmill out of a closing gym in New York a couple of years ago for $100! It’s a beast of a machine and will last me the rest of my life

That's actually the only place I've seen cheap equipment -- gyms selling extra equipment to make money. I saw a $3000 Endless Rope Machine sold on Ebay for $150. Gone in minutes. I think this was University of Wisconsin selling it.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    working out at home. we have enough equipment for lifting and cardio, no drivec or parking involved, and we can work out in our pajamas :D
  • joolspen3942
    joolspen3942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    working out at home. we have enough equipment for lifting and cardio, no drivec or parking involved, and we can work out in our pajamas :D

Absolutely brilliant 👏 😄
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just wanna rant about the people selling exercise equipment right now for crazy high prices since everywhere is sold out. Supply and demand, I get it...but most people are just being ridiculous. $500 for some crappy old bench they got from SEARS in the 90's and they remembered they had it in storage. I wanna smack some of these people. Ok, maybe I'd do the same. Still makes me mad lol

That's why I had to piece everything together. Squat stand from Rogue. Olympic plates from TAG. Bumper plates from Fray. Bench from Titan. Loadable dumbells from Titan. Bar from Texas power.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

That's why I had to piece everything together. Squat stand from Rogue. Olympic plates from TAG. Bumper plates from Fray. Bench from Titan. Loadable dumbells from Titan. Bar from Texas power.

Sounds like you got a solid setup!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

Sounds like you got a solid setup!

It's definitely a good start. The only thing I'm waiting on now is my bar. It has been 10 weeks since I ordered it. My bumper plated haven't shipped either, but I can do without them for now. It has been a chore finding things in stock, but I'm ready to workout at home. My Fiancee and I also bought a tractor tire, battle ropes, smal ball, and kettle bell. So I can at least do some conditioning at home, and not have to go to the gym six days a week.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For those going to the gym, have you gone running on the treadmills? Is it difficult to adjust to running while wearing a mask?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I have a useful Bioforce machine that has kept me in shape since I can't go the the gym right now. But if I could BUILD my own home gym (cost not being a problem) it would be so dope.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    No room for a gym at home. I just do light workouts with some dumbbells, bands, and calisthenics too. I am dealing with OA in my neck and in one knee, and nursing a wrist fracture. Gaining strength and dexterity are more important to me right now. I have a pool and I try to put additional time walking and running in the water.

I miss the gym and the variety of equipment, specially for cardio. The rowing machine and ARC are my favorite machines. I don't like to work out at home I find it boring, but with COVID-19 and my age, I don't know when I will be able to go back. It sucks!
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym a couple of times, but i felt super uneasy while there. So I bought a bench and some one-hand dumbbells and started doing workouts at home.
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    For those going to the gym, have you gone running on the treadmills? Is it difficult to adjust to running while wearing a mask?

No lovely I wear a visa thats breathable wore different one for work and a different one for other stuff do you wear a mask when ur training how u find it? 🤗
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I have everything I need at home.

Some people on MFP are so "disagreeable." LOL!

I said that I have everything I need at home and someone "disagreed" with that. I don't normally comment on such things but that's just so MFP.

I have more equipment at home than many gyms do, in terms of the equipment that I would actually use. I have a FULL Olympic lifting set up w/over 1k# in bumper and steel plates, power, Olympic and safety squat bars and even a deadlift bar jack. On top of that I've got a 100# adjustble dumbbell set, a profressional quality bench, plyo boxes and other things that go into creating a full lifting gym. On top of that I've got a LeMond RevMasterPro spin bike and a Concept 2 rower. And on top of that I've got a min-crossfit setup in my backyard including battle ropes, weighted sleds, sledge hammers and a 200# tractor tire.

Don't think you need much more than that to work out at home and what I have at home rivals what many smaller gyms have to offer.

But, go ahead and disagree w/that too, whoever you are. LOL!!!

• joolspen3942
    Options
    I have everything I need at home.

Some people on MFP are so "disagreeable." LOL!

I said that I have everything I need at home and someone "disagreed" with that. I don't normally comment on such things but that's just so MFP.

I have more equipment at home than many gyms do, in terms of the equipment that I would actually use. I have a FULL Olympic lifting set up w/over 1k# in bumper and steel plates, power, Olympic and safety squat bars and even a deadlift bar jack. On top of that I've got a 100# adjustble dumbbell set, a profressional quality bench, plyo boxes and other things that go into creating a full lifting gym. On top of that I've got a LeMond RevMasterPro spin bike and a Concept 2 rower. And on top of that I've got a min-crossfit setup in my backyard including battle ropes, weighted sleds, sledge hammers and a 200# tractor tire.

Don't think you need much more than that to work out at home and what I have at home rivals what many smaller gyms have to offer.

But, go ahead and disagree w/that too, whoever you are. LOL!!!

Awww dont let it rival you hun.. youll always get that one person ..
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Exactly. I plan to get a rack, deadlift platform, full set of 5#-125# dumbells and a few other goodies once stock is replenished. I'm not gonna be gouged for some old stuff now.

You are aware that used gym equipment isn’t worse than new? And it’s still way cheaper. I would rather used commercial equipment any day than some new garbage from TDS or Weider lol