Do you mind zombie threads?

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
Sometimes someone will come along and bump an old thread with some sage advice or their own experience or a totally unrelated question, people will respond, and then someone else realizes the thread is from 2012.

Do you mind that old threads get bumped?

I don't.

1. It HAS to mean the person doing the bumping took the time to do a search first so props to that.

2. The topic could still be relevant years later (see #1).

3. It could be a topic I or others missed and may find interesting.

4. It's sometimes fun to see who responded and if they're still around :)

Replies

• Reckoner69_lmao
    Reckoner69_lmao Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    well this isn’t what i thought it would be about at all

Me neither; me neither. This has been happening to me all day tho
  • glassyo
    Options
    Ok, I seriously just LOLed.

Except at the Betty White part.

Because continuous heart attacks are not funny.

:)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Not all all. It seems like there are posters who are never happy. You know, the ones who complain when someone posts a common topic that the thread's creator should have used the search feature to find the 2000 other threads on the same topic. Then someone posts on an old thread and there are the cries of "necro thread!". Ya can't win.

I think old threads are fun. I have some of them bookmarked on my phone to read when I'm stuck waiting for something.
  • glassyo
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

Not all all. It seems like there are posters who are never happy. You know, the ones who complain when someone posts a common topic that the thread's creator should have used the search feature to find the 2000 other threads on the same topic. Then someone posts on an old thread and there are the cries of "necro thread!". Ya can't win.

I think old threads are fun. I have some of them bookmarked on my phone to read when I'm stuck waiting for something.

Soooooooooo true.

And I finally favorited my....er....favorite thread of all time. You won't keel over and die if all you eat are snickers (my words) thread! :)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I lurve the old threads. There are those who only come out of the wings just to pounce on those who've pulled up an old thread, zombie thread, zombie thread. You've committed a major infraction because you've pulled something up from the archives. Relevancy is relevancy. Who gives a rat's @$$. I get a peaceful easy feelin' from the old threads. I always wonder what happened to those who've disappeared never to be heard from again.

I do notice those who've gone missing. I'm thinking about 3 or 4 of them right now. You get a feel for these people. Somesayers say they're just internet strangers. Nah. Nuh huh. Six degrees of separation is more like one or two. We may have already crossed paths. Only the Shadow knows. B)

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of bumping old threads.

I think it better to start a new thread on the topic rather than piggyback on to a years old one.

if people must do it, I like it when they start with " I know this is an old thread..." so others reading are aware of that.

my personal preference would be for threads that have not been posted in for, say, 12 months, to get archived - you can still find them on a search, you can still link to them - but closed for posting in.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    well this isn’t what i thought it would be about at all

*puts away shovel*

Yeah me neither.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I just had someone bump a thread I participated in from 2014 when I started really lifting. It brought back so many memories. I was so new to all of this and had no idea what was to come.
  • Punksprincess83
    Punksprincess83 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well lol I thought this was actually about zombies 🧟‍♀️ My bad carry on people
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I find it annoying when someone bumps a thread without realizing it's an old one. This is usually done by new users. The discussion is long finished, often the OP and many of the participants are gone, and everyone has moved on. It's not that big of a deal; it's an internet faux pas. There's a reason sites like reddit lock old threads. There's a lot of value in reading old threads; there's less value in continuing the conversation.

I think I know the thread you mean, @glassyo (this one, right? ) This one was amusing to me because the bumper reacted so vigorously and negatively to an obviously sarcastic comment in what was already a digression in that years-old thread.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I find it annoying when someone bumps a thread without realizing it's an old one. This is usually done by new users. The discussion is long finished, often the OP and many of the participants are gone, and everyone has moved on. It's not that big of a deal; it's an internet faux pas. There's a reason sites like reddit lock old threads. There's a lot of value in reading old threads; there's less value in continuing the conversation.

I think I know the thread you mean, @glassyo (this one, right? ) This one was amusing to me because the bumper reacted so vigorously and negatively to an obviously sarcastic comment in what was already a digression in that years-old thread.

LOL that might have been in the back of my mind but also the recent popcorn calories thread. That question is an oldie but a goodie. So your annoyance with the searches is my "they weren't lazy and started a new thread! They actually did some work!" And then I just find it funny that the next poster doesn't realize it's an old thread. I usually don't until someone brings it up or it's still newish that I'd remember it. (Like 5 mins ago.) :)

I was just skimming through that 1300 calories thread. It had everything. It deserved to be resurrected. :)