Has my trainer lead me astray?

Options
Wondering your thoughts. I used to focus very much on heavy lifting- major exercises like deadlifts, barbell squats, barbell rows, etc
I got a trainer and we are doing lots of sets of three exercises together like dB thrusters, planks, farmers walks. I was hopeful at first but I am starting to wonder. I am consistent, it has been several months and I have even tightened up my diet but I feel like I am not getting anywhere. I would squat 70 lbs before but when we do thrusters because I need to rely on the strength of my arms I can do 30...barely.
I feel like my legs are getting weaker despite every workout being a challenge and I feel soft despite consistent 5 days a week.
Any ideas welcome.

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Trainers have different approaches. There's nothing wrong with the exercise selection you mentioned per se.
    What goals and preferences did you discuss with your trainer at the beginning? Have you shared with him your concerns and questions? If not, I would encourage you to do that.
    Obviously the combination of exercises you do can affect your performance of any particular exercise. Even the order of exercise can affect performance. Overall frequency and volume can also affect you. You're on a different program now, so it's not surprising that your performance on specific exercises is different.
    Maybe you need more or differently spaced rest days. This occurs to me because you "feel" like you're getting "weaker" and are "soft." These are quite possibly signs of over-training.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    How long have you been doing this?

I am thinking btw 10-12 weeks with them. They do feel like good, challenging workout but so different from what I am used to.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Is what you are doing in line with your goals? Have you talked about it with your trainer and the reasons why you are doing what you are doing?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Went to a gym where every trainer there I saw started a new client out on the same rigmarole of light weight resistance training with almost always a balance aspect to it - pushups on inflatable ball, light dumbbells standing on bosu ball, some rowing machine (no that's not me in pic!), some cable work, and treadmill.

Now perhaps everyone I saw had no goals, needed balance help, and was given the same program.

But when I did my 2 free sessions just to see, I was handed the hand-held BF% analyzer, weighed in my clothes and after work so who knows hydration level, and despite saying I had been doing the free weights for the 4-6 weeks before I took my free sessions, was given the same program - not as a test, as the program to continue.

Yes it was challenging despite ability to do 3 hr bike rides, and lifting free weights. I didn't make it easy.
    Because it was different than what I did.
    Didn't mean it was better, or met my stated goals.
    Needless to say I was never going to pay for more.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When you say you feel like you aren't getting anywhere what do you mean by that?
    Are you improving at the exercises you are doing or not?
    (e.g. Heavier weights, more reps, holding planks for longer or doing more advanced planks.....)

How was this routine arrived at?
    Was it as a result of a discussion between client and trainer and personal to you and your goals and capabilities?

You feel your legs are getting weaker - how are you measuring that?
    (e.g. is the amount of weight you can manage declining?)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusters, planks, and farmer's walks will not replace deadlift. squat, and barbell rows.

They are totally different exercises for different outcomes. They are on the far end of specificity in relation to one another.

Every workout can be challenging, but that doesn't equate to your goals being reached.

Can you elaborate more on "lots of sets of three exercises together"?

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I feel like a lot of trainers do borderline nonsensical routines to make clients feel like "I'd have never done this routine without them, I guess it's good they're involved!". Almost as if doing the basics with good form isn't unique enough.

There's so much truth to this. Gym """"trainers"""" who have any idea how to get their clients to build strength efficiently as OP apparently wants are a rare breed.

Doing more workouts, different exercises, or random Workouts Of The Day isn't necessarily better.

You can get strong as hell with five barbell exercises - squat, bench, press, deadlift, and rows - and have a balanced physique and strength in very short order.

If your trainer isn't helping you achieve your defined goals, fire them.

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of trainers do borderline nonsensical routines to make clients feel like "I'd have never done this routine without them, I guess it's good they're involved!". Almost as if doing the basics with good form isn't unique enough.

There's so much truth to this. Gym """"trainers"""" who have any idea how to get their clients to build strength efficiently as OP apparently wants are a rare breed.

Doing more workouts, different exercises, or random Workouts Of The Day isn't necessarily better.

You can get strong as hell with five barbell exercises - squat, bench, press, deadlift, and rows - and have a balanced physique and strength in very short order.

Preach
  • mittencat77
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yep. Certainly need to talk to this trainer. My goals were to continue to build muscle/strength and cut down some fat that was gained during a serious injury. Prior to working with them I was on more of a routine of squats, lunges, deadlift, overhead shoulder press and was getting very strong. I was always lifting heavy. Now we are really focused on my upper body. I am doing way, way less with my legs and what I do with them usually incorporates my arms in some way so I feel like I am lifting less as my arms are weaker then my legs and so my legs are not getting much weight at all which is so very different for me. Maybe I am overtraining too possibly...I do weights 3 days a week and cardio 2-3 days. I should probably be more patient...it’s just that my legs felt so strong lifting heavy. I tried the trainer because a new gym and I had an elbow injury that I was rehabbing and wanted support.
    I appreciate everyone’s input
  • mittencat77
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

• mittencat77
    Options
    That addresses my main question! That is what I was doing before and was getting so strong. I think that is the track I need to get back on. Though I have to say that farmers walks have been really enjoyable. I love hauling a heavy kb around. I should get a job on a farm!😃
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    why not go back to your old routine, since it was working for you, and add some upper body exercises to it?
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That addresses my main question! That is what I was doing before and was getting so strong. I think that is the track I need to get back on. Though I have to say that farmers walks have been really enjoyable. I love hauling a heavy kb around. I should get a job on a farm!😃

I think you answered your own q. And yes, farmers walks are a keeper
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    The trainers job is to help you reach your goals. If they aren't doing so, then you need to move on.