Stop telling me you lost weight by walking and cutting out beer.

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 940 Member
    I stopped drinking craft beer during the week and exercising more and that has enabled me to start loosing unwanted pounds... :)

Calorie counting has helped too... lol
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    If we're in the market for losing weight/gaining a healthier lifestyle, our ways of doing it are as unique as the next person. It's easy for some, not for others.
    I, personally, don't appreciate comments said as if it's a 'piece of cake' for everybody because it just isn't. AND(even though I am guilty of this as well because I was totally ignorant at the time)people saying 'if I can do it you can do it'.
    Those types of comments just are not helpful because the journeys are all different. We just do the best we can. If we fall down, we get back up.
  • aubreeshelley
    aubreeshelley Posts: 16 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I had a nurse practitioner tell me to eat carrots instead of cookies. :/ Yep, last time I went to her.

ohmygoodness- same experience. I laid out my diet (between 900 and 1300cal/day, vegan, no added sugar, exercising three times a week) and 0 weight loss. When doc found out my husband and I go out to eat every other week, he said that was the reason I wasn’t losing... and the meal was only 1100 calories! (And I IF, so I only get about 300 cal that day before dinner anyways.

Soooooooooo done with hearing how people just quit soda or quit sugar or quit dairy and the weight “melted off”.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2020
    I have friend who would probably lose weight super easily is she stopped drinking the equivalent of 20 - 24 oz of 2% milk a day in her coffee. Yet somehow she never thinks to just not drink her calories because she "loves milk" (that being said she barely eats meat and thinks fat in her meals isn't great so I think she could end up super hungry not eating enough protein or fat if she cut it out or down without other adjustments). I am not going to say anything when she complains about her weight because I know she isn't looking for logical solutions and probably doesn't actually want to lose weight. But maybe if someone told her randomly... she already does the walking.

Some people would probably benefit from the advice you're complaining about. You won't. If its a conversation, feel free to follow up with describing that you count calories and exercise so you know its not enough of a solution for you. You can teach them back. Everyone who has any success thinks they know all the secrets!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Full disclosure... I have not read this entire thread.

Two thoughts:

1) I think it is a great thing that some people lose weight by doing very simple things. It is a reminder that weight loss is a simple energy equation and for people like me that once made weight loss harder than it needs to be it is a lesson.

2) The problem with the cut caloric drink diet is that I have never known anyone that for them it was enough. It was enough to get about a third of the total weight they needed to lose but then it stopped. It also was something I have watched some repeat nearly yearly losing the same pounds each time.
  • lorimiller18
    lorimiller18 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm getting smaller eating more and doing less. But I get flack for saying that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2020
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I have friend who would probably lose weight super easily is she stopped drinking the equivalent of 20 - 24 oz of 2% milk a day in her coffee. Yet somehow she never thinks to just not drink her calories because she "loves milk" (that being said she barely eats meat and thinks fat in her meals isn't great so I think she could end up super hungry not eating enough protein or fat if she cut it out or down without other adjustments). I am not going to say anything when she complains about her weight because I know she isn't looking for logical solutions and probably doesn't actually want to lose weight. But maybe if someone told her randomly... she already does the walking.

Some people would probably benefit from the advice you're complaining about. You won't. If its a conversation, feel free to follow up with describing that you count calories and exercise so you know its not enough of a solution for you. You can teach them back. Everyone who has any success thinks they know all the secrets!

Lol, I had an official person who helped me start to lose weight tell me to stop drinking my calories and... well, I ignored her and decided I prefer my coffee(about 400 ml daily oat milk or soy milk) over eating more stuff. Losing weight ok now.

It would have been stupid to get angry with that advice, I wanted her help and it was a generally good tip, but it just would not have worked for me on an emotional "can I keep this up?" level.

People have to be aware how much calories they consume (and where those calories come from) to be able to lose weight. But sometimes the simple, easy, obvious solution may not work for a given person and they'll have to find a different way of getting results.

I think I will be able to half my oat-milk-and-coffeee consumption at some point, but less is not a thing I'll consider.

Yes the difference there is that you consciously count calories and adjust your food to allow for it. My friend has said she will never do that but then still complains about her weight. So it would be the simplest change for her to make at very least to see if it works for her. I'm not saying go down to zero, but nearly 700 ml a day of 2% is a lot for anyone. Oh and oat/soy milk has fewer calories than 2% cows milk (i even drink the sweetened soy and it is still fewer calories per cup, 110 for sweetened soy, 100 for sweetened oat vs 130 for 2% milk). So your 400 ml of oat milk is 160 calories a day but her 672 ml of 2% is 347 calories. Double. She could make a pretty good difference in her daily calories if she changed that and nothing else. Instead of claiming nothing works for her.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Lol, I had an official person who helped me start to lose weight tell me to stop drinking my calories and... well, I ignored her and decided I prefer my coffee(about 400 ml daily oat milk or soy milk) over eating more stuff. Losing weight ok now.

It would have been stupid to get angry with that advice, I wanted her help and it was a generally good tip, but it just would not have worked for me on an emotional "can I keep this up?" level.

People have to be aware how much calories they consume (and where those calories come from) to be able to lose weight. But sometimes the simple, easy, obvious solution may not work for a given person and they'll have to find a different way of getting results.

I think I will be able to half my oat-milk-and-coffeee consumption at some point, but less is not a thing I'll consider.

Yes the difference there is that you consciously count calories and adjust your food to allow for it. My friend has said she will never do that but then still complains about her weight. So it would be the simplest change for her to make at very least to see if it works for her. I'm not saying go down to zero, but nearly 700 ml a day of 2% is a lot for anyone. Oh and oat/soy milk has fewer calories than 2% cows milk (i even drink the sweetened soy and it is still fewer calories per cup, 110 for sweetened soy, 100 for sweetened oat vs 130 for 2% milk). So your 400 ml of oat milk is 160 calories a day but her 672 ml of 2% is 347 calories. Double. She could make a pretty good difference in her daily calories if she changed that and nothing else. Instead of claiming nothing works for her.

It's not a fair comparison to say 400 ml of oat milk has 160 cals and 672 ml of 2% has 347 calories.

It's more like 1.5X the calories for similar volumes of oat milk and 2% dairy milk -- and you get 2.5X the protein with the dairy milk. So you're "paying" about 14 calories per gram of protein with 2% dairy milk, and about 22 calories per gram of protein with oat milk (I'm using Planet Oat unsweetened oat milk for my comparison, as it's the one I have logged in my diary).