Plateau - help!

Options
Hi all

I have been trying to lose the last 5 lbs for what feels like forever. I weight train 3 days a week, run 5 days a week, and have been eating at a slight deficit for weeks now. I do drink alcohol socially so maybe that’s the problem but I’m just very frustrated because I feel like besides that I do all the right things but am stuck on the scale and struggling with bloat, etc. anyone else experienced this? I know it’s not all about weight- I am 5’3 and 125 lbs and 16% body fat but i feel I’m so bloated often and just not getting the scale or the % to budge. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose you are going to need to count everything really carefully since you don't really have any room for errors.
    Are you using a food scale and weighing everything that you eat?
  • gabrielcurran2243
    Options
    Weight training is killing you in this scenario. Cardio.....
  • gabrielcurran2243
    Options
    And scales are liars. The mirror never lies
  • Bulldogs1717
    Bulldogs1717 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. To be clear- I’d like to lose 5 lbs of fat and what I believe to be excessive water retention, as opposed to muscle, so that’s why I’m keeping the weight lifting in place. I have been keeping an aggressive calorie deficit to try and manage this- 500ish a day with one day a week that I eat at maintenance amount. Do you feel I should reduce this deficit and just have more patience as described?

Thanks again for all the advice just trying to brainstorm so I can get over this hump!
  • Bulldogs1717
    Options
    I gained these few ponds during the Covid situation so I know it’s not a lot, but I just felt healthier without those extra few pounds of fat on my body both mentally and physically.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Keep your diet tight. Nix the alcohol. And bump your intensity on exercise a little bit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff I will. I did. ^^
    I'm here to report your tips really work. Humans thrive on routine and when you get in the groove, your zone.... you'll know it. Keep that momentum going and don't stop.
  • Bulldogs1717
    Options
    So you would say to keep the weight lifting in addition to cardio correct? Just up the intensity of both?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Up the intensity of both if you can. If you can’t, I would increase the intensity of weight training.

However, 500 calorie deficit a day with so little to lose is too high. That’s a 1 lb per week loss and completely unrealistic with only 5 lbs left to go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Keep both. Advice to drop lifting and do only more cardio was wrong, IMO (shortsighted).

Cardio butns more calories per minute, but strength training preserves muscle mass, improves strength, is important for well-rounded health/fitness.

You want a little more calorie burn, so increase cardio or weight training intensity, frequency or duration (if that's possible without causing counterproductive fatigue levels), and/or increase movement in daily life activities.

Plus patience.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    So you would say to keep the weight lifting in addition to cardio correct? Just up the intensity of both?
    Yep. And because you're so close, maybe a 250 calorie deficit with just .25lb per week loss should be your focus. Trust me, it slows down a lot when you're closer to goal just because that's how the body responds to lower bodyfat storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png