Did Keto, worked but my cholesterol blasted. Help.

Hi team I did Keto during confinement and it worked. I lost 22 pounds but I decided to take a blood work just in case and my cholesterol had boomed to 300 in just 2 months. So I stopped in may and have regained 9 pounds.

Im re starting but a keto without bacon, eggs, butter and so on. But I was the happiest man on that diet.

This one is very restrictive of course but ill do my best. Non cholesterol keto is very limited.

Replies

• harper16 wrote: »
    To lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. You don't have to follow a named diet to lose weight.

Yes but the beauty of Keto you have no cravings so in fact you can be quite some time in it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2020
    What did your numbers all look like? Cholesterol is a pretty terrible marker. What did your HDL, LDL, triglycerides, fasting glucose and CRP look like?

Also keep in mind that a blood test is a look at a single day and things, like exercise or even fasting can effect results.

Second, don't skip cholesterol but make healthier choices. Fibrous fruits and veggies, lean proteins, lots of fish, avocados, nuts and seeds, and healthy oils (avocado or olive). Essentially look at more of a Mediterranean style keto diet.

My LDL did increase with Keto but all my other markers improved which is why my doctor didn't worry. My bp dropped from 110/70 to 100/65 and my RHR went from 70 down to 55. I did lose 10 lbs so that had some influence.

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited September 2020
    Being happy on a diet is good, having bad reactions is not. I know plenty of people who sacrificed longterm health for a weight loss plan ( often keto) at thier health expense, including heart attack, kidney failure and liver damage.
    Several options.
    Try eliminating fat from animal sources ( except fish) and focus on avocado, nuts, olives and seeds.
    Eat food and not the oil from foods except minimally in cooking or not at all.
    Count calories. Be in a deflict. Do not do keto.
    Some people do well with intermitten fasting.
    Learn what foods to love that do not raise LDL. focus on leafy greens, fiber and vegetables.