What nobody tells you about maintaining weight

Options
MaltedTea
MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
This is meant to be a total rip-off and, ideally, the continuation of the "What nobody tells you about losing weight" thread in this sub-forum (created by @lemonsurprise).

Can you find threads about recomp, diet breaks, and other maintenance techniques? Absolutely.

This thread will hopefully grow into a one-stop-shop for what seems to be the most elusive of quests: keeping your weight stable over the long-term.

Lord knows I need the answer(s). I can't be the only one. Got one?

Go!

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    One thing I've observed being on MFP for about 8 years is that many people seem to have difficulty with the psychological aspect of not getting that "rush" from seeing the number on the scale go down...which makes things kind of meh for some. I really focus primarily on my overall health and just maintaining a healthy lifestyle in regards to both diet and activity...when I do that, the rest tends to take care of itself.

I think that is absolutely right. Also I think I assumed that having made changes to get there, those changes would stay without my thinking too much about them. On the plus side, what I have realised is that (except for Easter eggs... lol) I eat a pretty balanced diet, just rather too much if I don't stop and think about it (i.e. log what I eat). The first stage of the first time around taught me a lot about portion control. I can't believe that my husband and I used to eat 100-150 g of pasta each as a regular thing.
  • charmmeth
    edited September 2020
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    charmmeth wrote: »
    I take it you know about the maintenance forum here? *snip*

You mean this category of threads? ➡️ Goal: Maintaining Weight

... While I did say " Can you find threads about recomp, diet breaks, and other maintenance techniques? Absolutely" I should have added the way my Spock-like brain is set up, having a similar title/subject for this thread as the original one, and placing it in the same category ("Success Stories") just helps me find it faster. As does favoriting, of course.

Just a lazy hack. And I'll need all of the lazy hacks I can get my hands on to help me maintain once I get there in a few weeks lol

Yes, that is what I meant. I am all for lazy hacks, and this is a great thread! I was just wanting to affirm that there is real wisdom in that section of the forum too. (No snippiness was implied at all, and I am very sorry if my comment came over that way.)

• charmmeth
    edited September 2020
    Options
    JeanneTops wrote: »
    What nobody tells you about maintenance?

You have to start working on it on Day One of the diet.

Learn what eating really means for you and then learn how to make it be just eating - not love or celebration or family or comfort or anything else because you can do all those things without eating. Make exercising all about consistency and don't worry about how much and don't count the calories spent doing it - just make doing it a high priority in your daily life. Make eating a small part of your life.

This is so important, especially the bit I have highlighted, but also difficult if you enjoy eating out and restaurant culture. My husband and I cook and eat together to relax and celebrate and like to go to gourmet restaurants when we are on holiday. We don't want to lose that culture entirely, but especially the restaurant aspect of this is a challenge to integrate into a weight loss / maintenance routine / mindset. Lockdown has been useful in that way: we haven't been to a restaurant since February, and cooking at home makes it much easier to keep track of what I am eating.

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I take it you know about the maintenance forum here? *snip*

You mean this category of threads? ➡️ Goal: Maintaining Weight

... While I did say " Can you find threads about recomp, diet breaks, and other maintenance techniques? Absolutely" I should have added the way my Spock-like brain is set up, having a similar title/subject for this thread as the original one, and placing it in the same category ("Success Stories") just helps me find it faster. As does favoriting, of course.

Just a lazy hack. And I'll need all of the lazy hacks I can get my hands on to help me maintain once I get there in a few weeks lol

Yes, that is what I meant. I am all for lazy hacks, and this is a great thread! I was just wanting to affirm that there is real wisdom in that section of the forum too. (No snippiness was implied at all, and I am very sorry if my comment came over that way.)

I didn't take it that way at all! Your statistical approach and thorougness is likely the way I'm going to go about maintaining. The amount of non-MFP tracking I've done so far (mostly on Google Keeps and Slides) is almost silly 😥

While trying to balance obsession with observation, I believe the quantitative stuff can reveal important qualitative stuff (trends, habits, etc)...as demonstrated in your post.
  • charmmeth
    Options
    LOL I have an excel spreadsheet which draws a graph month by month and calculates (among other things) a monthly mean. The monthly mean weight is great as it shows me the underlying trend. I like having the months superimposed on each other as it means that they are easy to compare.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Another thread to bookmark! <3

I'm sure as hell not at maintenance yet (2/3 of the way there) but I love these kinds of threads, where knowledge just condenses.
  • HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes! I dig these threads!
  • charmmeth
    Options
    We cook well (together) too: it's good fun and I like knowing where the ingredients come from (mostly our local organic shop).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!