Breastfeeding and Losing Weight

Options
Any tips on how to lose weight while exclusively breastfeeding? I am doing about 1600-1800 cal a day and walking. I am 2months postpartum. I feel like I’m struggling, I just want to see the scale move.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I found the info in the second half of this thread very helpful while setting goals postpartum:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Its a slightly tricky area, because you don't want to damage your supply.

Do stay hydrated - drink lots of water. Keep taking your prenatal vitamins, and ask your OB for any further vitamin recommendations.

One theory is to eat at maintenance for your age/height/weight/activity level, and let the calories burned from breastfeeding create your deficit.
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just don't try for too much of a deficit. I'd say you could try 1800-2000 and see how it goes. Also weigh and accurately measure everything. I was able to lose 30 lbs after each baby. But I never dropped too low with my calories.
  • TiffanyPe17
    TiffanyPe17 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I’m struggling with this too. I am 11 days post-partum with my second child. Since I’m so newly post-partum the weight has dropped off, Ive lost 23.6 pounds in 11 days. Yay! But, I still have a long way to go, and I’m sure a lot of that was just baby, placenta, etc. I was doing 1900 calories the last couple of days and seeing good results, but my husband thinks that’s too low 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ He read on the CDC Website that I need about 2300 calories, but that seems to high to me.
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    I’m struggling with this too. I am 11 days post-partum with my second child. Since I’m so newly post-partum the weight has dropped off, Ive lost 23.6 pounds in 11 days. Yay! But, I still have a long way to go, and I’m sure a lot of that was just baby, placenta, etc. I was doing 1900 calories the last couple of days and seeing good results, but my husband thinks that’s too low 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ He read on the CDC Website that I need about 2300 calories, but that seems to high to me.

At 11 days post partum, your body is still adjusting and milk supply is still getting established. Please don't be so hard on yourself as to stress over weight loss. Enjoy your newborn, be kind to yourself, rest when you can, and think about weight loss in a few months.
  • TiffanyPe17
    TiffanyPe17 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

At 11 days post partum, your body is still adjusting and milk supply is still getting established. Please don't be so hard on yourself as to stress over weight loss. Enjoy your newborn, be kind to yourself, rest when you can, and think about weight loss in a few months.

Thank you, my husband tells me the same thing. It’s just so hard not to want to lose weight after two back-to-back pregnancies has left me 40 pounds over my normal.
  • nanastaci2020
    Options

Thank you, my husband tells me the same thing. It’s just so hard not to want to lose weight after two back-to-back pregnancies has left me 40 pounds over my normal.

Before you know it, your youngest will be in her freshman year of college and turning 19 next month. Enjoy these early days as they will fly by. :)
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Look up on kellymom for sure but I think 1800 is as low as they recommend. I would suggest swapping for healthier snacks and meals with light exercise and track to see where you land. I have nursed 5 babies I know the ends and outs 2 months post partum is not an ideal time to go vigorous. Baby steps and gentle exercising will help so much. I have lost over 40lbs after our 5th baby. He is 11 months and I am almost at goal weight. If you are already losing and not gaining that is good!
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options

It's very hard to wait, I know, it feels like you have to start now. But honestly, I wouldn't do any dieting for at least 6 weeks if not longer. Your body is healing from a huge major event, and if you're breastfeeding then it's doing even more work. I was always told to wait until 8 weeks pp to start any kind of deficit