Affordable rowing machines?

Options
Has anyone purchased a Sunny Rowing Machine? Considering getting one for at home workouts this winter.

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I'd look for a used Concept 2 first. But they are hard to find in good condition. I'm not sure about Sunny. This one has higher ratings, is a Water rower (not the brand, but a water rower) with better ratings and it's just a bit more. The issue with magnetic ones is that they can lose resistance over time. IMHO, water rowers or chain driven ones with gears are better.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/xterra-erg600w-water-rower-19iqduxtrrrg600wwmsc/19iqduxtrrrg600wwmsc

The Stamina magnetic one is cheaper if you need to watch your budget and higher rated (on Dick's Sporting Goods).
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'd look for a used Concept 2 first. But they are hard to find in good condition. I'm not sure about Sunny. This one has higher ratings, is a Water rower (not the brand, but a water rower) with better ratings and it's just a bit more. The issue with magnetic ones is that they can lose resistance over time. IMHO, water rowers or chain driven ones with gears are better.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/xterra-erg600w-water-rower-19iqduxtrrrg600wwmsc/19iqduxtrrrg600wwmsc

The Stamina magnetic one is cheaper if you need to watch your budget and higher rated (on Dick's Sporting Goods).

Super easy to find a used concept 2 in good condition actually. They are all over Facebook marketplace, BUT they are much more expensive than a sunny rower.

Sunny is considered one of the better budget brands to get; however, I can tell you it is nowhere near the same quality as a concept 2. Nor does it feel the same when rowing. If you don’t know if you would like rowing or are just super impatient, go with the sunny new (or used they are also up for sale all the time).

C2 is a brilliantly simple design which makes them last forever. Monitor might go, but you can order a replacement. I have a used model B that I enjoy using that I paid $100 for. Again, you need to be patient to get deals like that, especially now, but they are out there.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

Super easy to find a used concept 2 in good condition actually. They are all over Facebook marketplace, BUT they are much more expensive than a sunny rower.

Sunny is considered one of the better budget brands to get; however, I can tell you it is nowhere near the same quality as a concept 2. Nor does it feel the same when rowing. If you don’t know if you would like rowing or are just super impatient, go with the sunny new (or used they are also up for sale all the time).

C2 is a brilliantly simple design which makes them last forever. Monitor might go, but you can order a replacement. I have a used model B that I enjoy using that I paid $100 for. Again, you need to be patient to get deals like that, especially now, but they are out there.

It's not "super easy" to find a C2 used. I looked for nearly two years to find one before I bought mine new. I even set online internet "crawlers" to Craiglist and other sites to identify when one went on sale. If you found yours for $100, you were extremely fortunate (and friggin' bravo, I might add!). I've been a member of the largest online indoor rowing club in the world for three years. The cheapest I've ever seen anyone pick one up for is $400 and it was an extremely old model. Around a month or two after I bought mine, I did find one on sale for $400, but by the time I saw it (in my email through the crawler app I used), it was gone, likely within 10 or 15 minutes.

I would say if you have any chance of picking up nice used equipment, check local university sites. That's the only place I've been seeing that is selling off fitness equipment for reasonable prices and an occasional deal. Saw U of Wisc sold an Endless Rope Machine, a high end one, recently for $150. That's a $4000 piece of equipment. It went within minutes and I don't live in Wisconsin. But that's about the only deals I'm seeing in the current conditions.

I just went to FB Marketplace and people were wanting $1400 for used ones. That's been the norm since Covid-19 hit. C2 has a huge backorder going on and people are taking advantage of that.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

It's not "super easy" to find a C2 used. I looked for nearly two years to find one before I bought mine new. I even set online internet "crawlers" to Craiglist and other sites to identify when one went on sale. If you found yours for $100, you were extremely fortunate (and friggin' bravo, I might add!). I've been a member of the largest online indoor rowing club in the world for three years. The cheapest I've ever seen anyone pick one up for is $400 and it was an extremely old model. Around a month or two after I bought mine, I did find one on sale for $400, but by the time I saw it (in my email through the crawler app I used), it was gone, likely within 10 or 15 minutes.

I would say if you have any chance of picking up nice used equipment, check local university sites. That's the only place I've been seeing that is selling off fitness equipment for reasonable prices and an occasional deal. Saw U of Wisc sold an Endless Rope Machine, a high end one, recently for $150. That's a $4000 piece of equipment. It went within minutes and I don't live in Wisconsin. But that's about the only deals I'm seeing in the current conditions.

I just went to FB Marketplace and people were wanting $1400 for used ones. That's been the norm since Covid-19 hit. C2 has a huge backorder going on and people are taking advantage of that.

I just went on fb marketplace and found 4 in order 10 minutes for $800 or less. If you want a new one, pay a new price. Personally, I think the newer C2’s are made like junk. Way more plastic on them and they won’t last nearly as long as an older model.

I get deals literally every single day on marketplace, Craigslist, let go, etc because I do this for a living. I’ve been buying and selling for years and while covid has made it harder to find good deals, they are there to be had if you are patient.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options

I just went on fb marketplace and found 4 in order 10 minutes for $800 or less. If you want a new one, pay a new price. Personally, I think the newer C2’s are made like junk. Way more plastic on them and they won’t last nearly as long as an older model.

I get deals literally every single day on marketplace, Craigslist, let go, etc because I do this for a living. I’ve been buying and selling for years and while covid has made it harder to find good deals, they are there to be had if you are patient.

I got mine new for $900, so again, that's not a great deal. And I've put 10 million meters on mine so far and it's a newer model and I know folks that have put triple that on theirs and they run the same as the day they got them with the exception of putting chain oil on them occasionally and cleaning them.

As to the OPs original question, I'm seeing new fan rowers on E-Bay for $300 or so. They aren't C2s, but the reviews are good. I'd get a water based or fan based one over magnetic drive.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

I got mine new for $900, so again, that's not a great deal. And I've put 10 million meters on mine so far and it's a newer model and I know folks that have put triple that on theirs and they run the same as the day they got them with the exception of putting chain oil on them occasionally and cleaning them.

As to the OPs original question, I'm seeing new fan rowers on E-Bay for $300 or so. They aren't C2s, but the reviews are good. I'd get a water based or fan based one over magnetic drive.

I would never pay $800 used, I was simply countering your point that used were $1200 or $1400 or whatever ridiculous price you pulled out a cloud lol

OP Water rowers often have leaking issues, so I would be careful of which brand you choose if you go that route.

And for the snobs who think new is always better:

My used rower had well over a million meters on it when I got it and I’ve put another 20k meters on it so far. A C2 that is well cared for will last virtually forever (and any parts that wear out, C2 is fantastic about keeping them available so you can order them and replace them).

If you go to the C2 forum, you will find many people who simply upgrade their B with new parts (PM5 monitor, kit to make it quieter etc) rather than get a new one that is primarily made of plastic:

https://www.c2forum.com/
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you can find a Total Gym XL or XLS they are good overall machines, including rowing. You can get them used under $100 if you watch for it.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Has anyone purchased a Sunny Rowing Machine? Considering getting one for at home workouts this winter.

i haven't, but i've owned several other sunny equipment, and the quality was decent - better than weider and stuff like that. also sunny support is pretty good in my experience.
    cppeace wrote: »
    If you can find a Total Gym XL or XLS they are good overall machines, including rowing. You can get them used under $100 if you watch for it.

my husband loves our total gym. we got it to help rehab my legs, but he used to alternate between lifting heavy and total gym workouts and quite likes it. i can't say we use it exactly like a rower, and i admit that i can't see how one would do that since the handles are at the wrong end...

• cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Well you can face either way to use the pullies. Rosalie on youtube shows using it as a rowing machine. I've only had and used one for a couple weeks and love it. I use it in various ways and will continue to as my fitness improves. :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I had this rower (LOL @ the $799 - I think it was $300-ish)

https://www.proform.com/rowing-machines/440r-rower

I didn’t know if I would like rowing and didn’t want to shell out $800+ for a Concept2.

I now have a Concept2.

In comparison, using the cheaper tower was like riding a skateboard that was attached to a door handle of a door that wasn’t quite closed all the way and using an old phone with a cracked screen propped up against the door as a monitor.

Did it work? Sure. I was rowing. Ish.

If that’s your budget-it’ll get the job done. If you’re interested in rowing seriously (like as a main form of exercise or you want to do decent full scale rowing workouts), maybe you can find a unicorn used C2 for less than $800. Or maybe the Sunny is better than what I had. It worked-but it’s not even the same movement as what I do on the C2.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    I had this rower (LOL @ the $799 - I think it was $300-ish)

https://www.proform.com/rowing-machines/440r-rower

I didn’t know if I would like rowing and didn’t want to shell out $800+ for a Concept2.

I now have a Concept2.

In comparison, using the cheaper tower was like riding a skateboard that was attached to a door handle of a door that wasn’t quite closed all the way and using an old phone with a cracked screen propped up against the door as a monitor.

Did it work? Sure. I was rowing. Ish.

If that’s your budget-it’ll get the job done. If you’re interested in rowing seriously (like as a main form of exercise or you want to do decent full scale rowing workouts), maybe you can find a unicorn used C2 for less than $800. Or maybe the Sunny is better than what I had. It worked-but it’s not even the same movement as what I do on the C2.

From buying/selling I had a sunny that I got a package deal on (went for a FT got the rower with it). The sunny is like a base Civic. It will get you where you want to go. My C2 is like a Corvette. Having used both, I would definitely go with the C2. Like I said earlier, if you’re patient you can get a good deal on a used one. If you don’t even know if you will like rowing yet, a sunny is a good place to start on a budget.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2020
    Options

I would never pay $800 used, I was simply countering your point that used were $1200 or $1400 or whatever ridiculous price you pulled out a cloud lol

OP Water rowers often have leaking issues, so I would be careful of which brand you choose if you go that route.

My used rower had well over a million meters on it when I got it and I’ve put another 20k meters on it so far. A C2 that is well cared for will last virtually forever (and any parts that wear out, C2 is fantastic about keeping them available so you can order them and replace them).

If you go to the C2 forum, you will find many people who simply upgrade their B with new parts (PM5 monitor, kit to make it quieter etc) rather than get a new one that is primarily made of plastic:

I'm not looking to argue but you've said some incorrect things and pretty much stated I didn't know what I was talking about. I started many of the threads on the C2 forum and know most of the folks on there. So when you act as if you know many of them are getting cheap C2 rowers (and it's easy to do), know what you're talking about first. I pulled those numbers off of Ebay and I'm hearing from all my rowing buddies the same things. Most of the Craigslist ads (in AZ) weren't people looking to sell them, they were looking to buy them and couldn't find one.

I know one guy from Sweden that just found one for like $400 but had to put $300 into it to get it to run well. Still yet, $700 was a good deal for him but he had to fix it himself with parts and he wanted to get a PM5 as well, which is the only computer that's Bluetooth.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

I'm not looking to argue but you've said some incorrect things and pretty much stated I didn't know what I was talking about. I started many of the threads on the C2 forum and know most of the folks on there. So when you act as if you know many of them are getting cheap C2 rowers (and it's easy to do), know what you're talking about first. I pulled those numbers off of Ebay and I'm hearing from all my rowing buddies the same things. Most of the Craigslist ads (in AZ) weren't people looking to sell them, they were looking to buy them and couldn't find one.

I know one guy from Sweden that just found one for like $400 but had to put $300 into it to get it to run well. Still yet, $700 was a good deal for him but he had to fix it himself with parts and he wanted to get a PM5 as well, which is the only computer that's Bluetooth.

The PM5 is the least reliable monitor that C2 has ever made. Sure it’s fancier than the others, but imo not worth it.

You stated that used ones are in bad condition. I was simply pointing out that you were utterly and completely wrong with a blanket statement like that.

I buy and sell used gym equipment and have done so for years, so yes, I actually DO know what I’m talking about. Have a good one!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    To the OP -- if you see ads for Concept2 rowers on Facebook, there has been a scam out there for years -- offering a new one for $200 or so. Please be aware of that. You can't buy a new Concept2 for under $900 and I'd only buy one off the Concept2 site directly.

I have seen some fan models for $300 or $400 but I have no idea how good they are. Some have good ratings if you trust those ratings.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    To the OP- you can get a great deal on a used concept 2 if you are patient.

I’ve personally purchased 3 model b’s and a c in the last 6 months. Each model b cost me under $200. The model c cost $400 and needed some work.

As I said, I buy and sell used gym equipment. You need to be patient and look often, but there are deals to be had.

Best of luck and enjoy rowing! 😊
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Regarding used C2, just looked at CL recently and people are actually adking $1100+ for them when they only retail for $900 plus $45 shipping new.

CRAZY!!!

C2 is backordered on them and you'll have 2 wait 2-3 months to get one right now but frankly I'd wait rather than be price gouged by opportunists.

On the other hand, there was a Viking waterrower for sale for just $700 and if I needed/wanted a rower RIGHT NOW that's the one I'd buy assuming everything checked out and then resell it to get a C2 later.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I've been looking and I decided to go with the Concept 2. I went to their website and got on a waiting list for the Model D a few days ago. Right now the estimate is delivery in early December. It's $900 plus $45 shipping. I was tempted by the Sunny rower on Amazon for only $300 since it got so many good reviews, but digging deeper I found the inevitable to be reported by many users: not great quality. I'd rather spend a little more and have a good piece of equipment that will last.

I was just here looking to see if there were other brands that were highly recommended. Good luck!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I've been looking and I decided to go with the Concept 2. I went to their website and got on a waiting list for the Model D a few days ago. Right now the estimate is delivery in early December. It's $900 plus $45 shipping. I was tempted by the Sunny rower on Amazon for only $300 since it got so many good reviews, but digging deeper I found the inevitable to be reported by many users: not great quality. I'd rather spend a little more and have a good piece of equipment that will last.

I was just here looking to see if there were other brands that were highly recommended. Good luck!

You'll not be sorry. I've had mine going on five years and have around 10 million meters on it. Get a good 3 in one oil and just lube the chain around once a week with heavy use. Once every two weeks with lighter use. I take an old T-shirt and put it in a zip lock bag and just pour some oil on the shirt and slowly pull the chain out and lube the entire length of the chain. Also keep the metal rail clean.

Aside from that, there's not much maintenance. When done with a workout, disconnect your bluetooth (something I learned the hard way after going through batteries constantly). If you want some fun engagement, look into Zwift Rowers on Facebook or EXR (a new Beta software for the C2). RowPro is another.

Hornet Watersports also has a nice seat for like $20 that's not too thick -- something else I learned the hard way you don't want.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    I love my concept 2. If you don’t want to wait though, you can find deals on them on the used market: Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, etc
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will humbly add is..... You get what you pay for in this area. Good luck :)