Being Diabetic in a sugar world

Hi Guys,

I am diabetic, I have a hard time meal planning for my family to fit my needs in carb restrictions. I have started doing mini meals to appease everyone, but that takes a lot of tim and prep. Any ideas to incorporate my restrictions into a normal diet?
TIA
Rachel :)

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I am not diabetic and have limited knowledge... Disclaimer delivered. :)

I believe that your main restrictions are that you need to limit the quantity of certain types of carbs, and/or eat them in combination with protein? I know that is a very simplistic summary, and there may be more you have to consider.

But in that respect, what about making one meal for the family and adjusting your proportions of items? Such as if you're making meatloaf, potatoes and carrots: you have a smaller portion of potatoes and more carrots, or possibly an additional side for yourself like a basic salad?

Two part process:
    If you had no restrictions, what would you be eating for dinner?
    Can you modify it or change proportions so that same meal works for you now?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited September 2020
    When I fix dinner, the emphasis is protein and vegetables, including a side dish of a carbohydrate. I either eat a small serving of the side dish or none at all.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Yeah, pizza is the devil. I feel you on this one. I am diabetic. But don't refer to it as a diabetic diet. It is a healthy diet that many doctors recommend for people to follow. Your family would benefit health wise to eat more like you with a consistent level of carbs and protein and fat throughout the day than excess carbs and fat laden meals. There are many diabetic cookbooks out there. You can purchase online or through a bookstore or magazines. Or visit the Food and Nutrition sub forum and request some recipes. I am not saying ban pizza or french fries but keep it as a once a week treat and build healthy eating habits into your family the rest of the time. Just my experience in a family with a lot of diabetics and future diabetics. It is easier to change food habits when you are young than to learn a new way of eating when you are older.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    It also depends on what foods trigger your blood sugar to rise. My husband can eat pizza without a spike, but not Chinese food.

You shouldn't need to cook separate meals. Basic meat and vegetable dishes should work for everyone. Roasts, stews, soups, grilled meats, etc. are fine. Depending on how your body reacts, you can still eat pasta, whole grains, brown rice, etc. but you may need to limit quantity. You would need to limit sweets, but that shouldn't impact the family. Eating more protein for breakfast is good for both you and your family. If they don't like it, cereal for them, eggs for you.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    Hi Guys,

I am diabetic, I have a hard time meal planning for my family to fit my needs in carb restrictions. I have started doing mini meals to appease everyone, but that takes a lot of tim and prep. Any ideas to incorporate my restrictions into a normal diet?
    TIA
    Rachel :)

can't you make one meal for your family and one - possibly easier - meal for yourself?

or how about this? they have pasta with sauce, you have soy pasta (much lower carbs and higher protein) with the same sauce. or you make stew, but you don't eat the potatoes; instead, you could eat more of the carrots, celery and meat. hamburgers and fries? maybe a burger on one half of a bun and just a few fries.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    Again disclaimer alert.

To be honest to my understanding a diet healthy for a diabetic is healthy for most people. No need to make special items for the family on a regular basis:

https://www.diabetes.org/nutrition/healthy-food-choices-made-easy+

From the above:

Knowing what to eat can be confusing. Everywhere you turn, there is news about what is or isn't good for you. But a few basic tips have withstood the test of time. Regardless of what cuisine you prefer, here's what all healthy eating plans have in common. They include:

Fruits and vegetables
    Lean meats and plant-based sources of protein
    Less added sugar
    Less processed foods
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    I’ve had three pregnancies with gestational diabetes, which is different than type 1 or 2, but does have some things in common.

I could eat baked potatoes without a problem when paired with a good protein. I couldn’t handle any white bread but I could do a thin crust or cauliflower crust pizza.

Barilla sells a protein infused pasta (yellow box) that I could do as long as I had meatballs and/or a meat sauce (more like a chili, a lot of meat). As you test your levels after meals you will start to learn what your body reacts well to and what foods end up being on your “can’t have” list.

Unless there are other dietary restrictions involved there is no reason you should be making multiple meals for your family. They can eat what you eat but in different portions.

Good luck!